X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bikedave
    • Aug 2007

Sound Card

I just have a quick question which is probably very easy to answer. I will be running my HT off of my laptop. However, I am using a pro amp for my subwoofer. The output voltage from the headphones is obviously not enough for the proamp so my question is, is the output from an external USB soundcard enough for a proamp? I've looked all over and at specs for different soundcards and I can't find conclusive information.
    Thanks for your help.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I seriously doubt a laptop soundcard would have enough drive voltage for a prosound amp.

I don't know about external soundcard since I run mine into a preamp...

This is probably one of those situations where you need to email tech support and ask about any external soundcard you're interested in ....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• bikedave
      • Aug 2007

Ok, so chances are need to pick up a preamp. Can you recommend an economical one since I am just getting in?
      Thanks

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Describe the system configuration you want to use..Is this for stereo or multi-channel?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Operandi
          • May 2007

I would suggest an external soundcard with digital out that you can then feed a HT based pre-amp or receiver with a dedicated sub output.

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Either that or one of the nice M-Audio outboard sound cards? Like the firewire ones or something but honestly your best bet is going to be feeding a digital signal to a preamp. You should also explain what you feel is ecinomical.

Comment

• bikedave
              • Aug 2007

Well, at this point I am just trying to get a strong enough signal to my Carver Pro amp to drive my XJ-15 Sonosub. I'm a little new at all this so forgive my ignorance. I always assumed that line level meant like the headphone output. But I now know better. With my current setup I have a signal coming from my computer, into an active crossover, into the poweramp. But with everything turned up as high as it will it is just too weak. Thats when I found out that I needed up to a 3V output into the amp. So, I called Creative to ask about the output voltage of their sound cards and all they could tell me was that their higher power external models consume 500mV so probably wouldn't output enough. I'm just building up my system now, so I've got a heavy old amp driving my mains which runs fine off of the headphone out, but pro-amp just needs more i guess. Thank you all for your help and interest. Any ideas what I should be looking for as far as minimum voltage to feed the proamp?

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by bikedave
                Any ideas what I should be looking for as far as minimum voltage to feed the proamp?
                Look at the owners manual, there should be a line drive voltage spec. Usually it's between 1 and 2 volts

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• bikedave
                  • Aug 2007

Here are what the specs say as far as sensitivity...
                  They also say it can be increased to .775mV by installing a jumper on the main board. It kinda implies that the jumper is located on the board so I will have to check that out.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

The jumper thing is cool. Give it a try and see what happens.

Getting even .775mV out of a soundcard maybe asking too much.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• bikedave
                      • Aug 2007

Ya, that's what I am beginning to wonder, I may have found a small preamp which will boosts a very low signal up to 500mV so I may have to give that shot first just to see if it makes a difference before finding a higher power preamp. I do have a BFD, do those bump up the total signal any, beside the bandwidths which I choose?

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

I may have found a small preamp which will boosts a very low signal up to 500mV so I may have to give that shot first just to see if it makes a difference before finding a higher power preamp.
                        That's 2/3rd the minimal level needed.
                        I do have a BFD, do those bump up the total signal any, beside the bandwidths which I choose?
                        The FBD shouldn't be used to create much other than 'unity' gain, that being signal level in = signal level out. Otherwise you run the risk of clipping it, and that's not a good thing...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• bikedave
                          • Aug 2007

I understand what you are saying. So, there seems to be quite an array of preamps available. Will a mic preamp work or is that input too sensitive. I'm looking at a Behringer MIC800 for example.

Comment

• bikedave
                            • Aug 2007

Preamp

So, I got a Gemini PA preamp, got all excited, ran from my computer into that, into my crossover, to the proamp. Turned it all on and slowly started raising the levels, expecting great things. I didn't hear hardly a thing. The amp wasn't even recognizing a signal. The only way I can get it to boost anything is to use the phono input but then it terrible sound quality because its probably overdriving the phono input. How in the world do I get to line level, i thought the preamp was supposed to do it??? I'll post the specs to the preamp if anyone is interested:

SPECIFICATIONS

INPUTS SENSITIVITY/IMPEDANCE
                            Mic............................................... .................................................. .1mV / 3 Kohms
                            Phono............................................. ............................................3mV / 47 Kohms
                            Tape,Tuner,CD, Aux............................................... .......................150mV / 22 Kohms

OUTPUT/IMPEDANCE
                            Tape Rec............................................... ......................................150mV / 3 Kohms
                            Pre Output............................................ ......................................max. 11V / 1 Kohms

TOTAL HARMONIC DISTORTION
                            Mic............................................... .................................................l ess than 0.02%
                            Phono............................................. ..............................................less than 0.04%
                            Tape,Tuner,CD, Aux............................................... .................less than 0.01%

SIGNAL TO NOISE RATIO
                            Mic............................................... ..........................................more than 70dB
                            Phono............................................. .......................................more than 90dB
                            Tape,Tuner,CD, Aux............................................... .............more than 100dB

GENERAL
                            Frequency Response.......................................... ........5Hz - 30 KHz +0, - 3dB
                            Bass.............................................. ............................................+/-12dB at 100Hz
                            Midrange.......................................... ................................................+/-9dB at 1KHz
                            Treble............................................ ......................................+/-12dB at 10KHz
                            Loudness.......................................... ...............................+9/0/+9dB at 100/1K/10KHz
                            Mute.............................................. .................................................. ........-20dB
                            Power............................................. ............................120V or 230V, 50/60Hz
                            Power Consumption....................................... .............................................15W
                            Dimensions........................................ ...........................483mm x 45mm x 248 mm

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Not sure what the problem is. I do know you don't want to use the phono circuit since it contains special EQ contouring.

Have you listened to the laptop output through headphones? Perhaps it's defective.

At this point I'd start a process of elimination. Take another source TV, Walkman/Ipod, standalone CDP or DVDP, send a signal from one of those through Aux input on the Gemini.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Dennis H
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Aug 2002

Something isn't hooked up right or isn't working right. It says it will output up to 11V with a .15V input. Are you sure you're hooked to the pre out and not the tape out?

Comment

• bikedave
                                  • Aug 2007

Hmmm... ya I definitely have it on one of the two sets of RCA preouts. I'll try using a few different sources and see if that makes a difference. The headphone out on my computer is fine and has worked great with other sets of speakers or headphones. I'll have to do a little more experimenting. With a 150mV sensitivity I guess I wasn't expecting to run into this kind of trouble. What kind of preamps are you guys using? Thanks for the resonses.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

What kind of preamps are you guys using? Thanks for the resonses.
                                    Ayre K5-xe

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• ---k---
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2005

I plan on trying to take some measurements today. Tell you what, I'll hook my old USB Soundblaster live up. If it works, it is your's for the price of shipping.
                                      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• ---k---
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2005

Well, I just tested it for Dave. I hooked up my laptop to my to my Behringer EP2500 using a Creative Soundblaster Live External soundcard:

I used an RCA-->XLR cable, and it played just fine. I'm listening to some music full range through my sub right now. It is amazing how good my big sub sounds full range.
                                        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"