X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sphynx_000
    • Jun 2007

eq questions?

What is the advantage of using REW with a eq. vs. using an eq/rta combo?
    I am concerned about having an eq system that will eq everything, notjust the sub.

I know many people use a setup something like this,
    Laptop - REW - mobile-pre - behringer mic, then a FBQ2496
    Being the FBQ2496 has mic inputs with phantom power, cant this unit replace the mobile-pre?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

You have the FBQ

confused with the DEQ

which has built-in RTA and mic input with phantom power

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• sphynx_000
      • Jun 2007

yeah,

but still, will the using the rta on an eq give similar results to using REW with that same eq?

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

The RTA on the DEQ doesn't have great resolution - at least as far as I'm aware and I do own one. You can't adjust the scale of the RTA, so it goes from 20hz to 20,000hz with a couple dozen bars. Good for someone looking to adjust a full range graphical EQ.

The other big problem with the RTA on the DEQ is that it only automaticly adjusts the Graphical EQ, not the PEQ. So it only adjusts fixed bands, doesn't allow you to state the specific frequency.

If you are only using it for a sub, I think the FBQ is more than adequate. If you're scared by the price, you can use the Radio Shack SPL meter for a mic and a any duplex soundcard. With a laptop, a $49 External Sound Blaster will work.

One big advantage of the DEQ though, is if you have a sealed sub, it can do shelving filters used to create a LT like function.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

The build-in RTA in the DEQ is 1/6th octave. That doesn't mean the DEQ can't be used with REQW. The DEQ currently can't be set remotely using REQW. John Mulcahy is working on a version of REQW that will allow remote control of the DEQ

The DEQ has multiple banks of memories so one can create individual filter settings for various things like HT vs music, rap vs classical

The FBQ as one bank of 20 stereo filters. So no separate settings for HT vs music. The FBQ can be set remotely using REQW if one has a USB to Midi cable

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

Yep, there are several advantages to using a DEQ. It is a very nice peice of equipement. I can't beleive they took away all the memory settings from the BFD when they made the FBQ. That certainly is a big disadvantage.

Last time I set up my DEQ, I did it by using a RS meter, soundblast live ext soundcard, and REQW. I just wrote down the settings and then entered them in myself. I did it this way, mainly because I did it the same way I set up my BFD before it. After getting everything entered, I verified using the DEQ built-in RTA. Seemed to work well.

I have a Mobile PrePro and the Behringer Mic, but I had some issues and just haven't got back to it to figure out what's what. Having it done and working the old way makes redoing it with the mic low priority.

So, lots of ways to get there. Comes down to budget, needs, and desires.
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• sphynx_000
              • Jun 2007

where does the dsp1124 fit into the mix? seems to be similar to the fbq, but with less bands?

If I just wanted something basic to work with a sealed sub, which one would suit me best? I would prefer spending less if it would get me adaquitequipment...

Comment

• sphynx_000
                • Jun 2007

anyone input on FBQ, vs. DSP?

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

This forum has a very good search function, for example....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• sphynx_000
                    • Jun 2007

thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for (just not very hard ops: )

I have another question about the FBQ though, it has 2 channels of 20 parametric filters, independently adjustable... so you could just change inputs/outputs on the eq and have 2 different filter settings? (a different set on each channel)

right?

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by sphynx_000
                      so you could just change inputs/outputs on the eq and have 2 different filter settings? (a different set on each channel)
                      right?
                      Yes...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"