X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jkrueger
    • Mar 2006

Stupid Crossover tricks

Hi everyone

Haven't been around for a while. I have been slaving over some speaker cabinets in my garage. :T I have mounted the crossovers into the cabinets and now I would like to use a vacuum press to apply veneer. The trouble is...I would really rather not remove the crossovers. Are they in any danger by being exposed to a vacuum? Thanks for your help.

The components involved are mills resistors, solen and clarity metalized poly caps and those fancy ribbon type coils.
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Well, you may suck the mojo out of the caps! And balloon the ribbon on the inductors. The resistors, however, tend to resist *anything* well (except paint, but often including solder). So...

Check out Ryan's mount method though (Khanspire's up in the MA section). Very slick!

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I'd remove the crossovers.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• joecarrow
        • Apr 2005

I'll go along with removing the crossover, but not because of the vacuum- you probably don't have a pump for super high vacuum- as far as I know you wouldn't need it for vacuum bagging. No, I'd say that for the sake of the fumes... it might not be good for the organic parts of the crossovers.

If the glue doesn't have nasty fumes, then I don't think the components would be hurt.
        -Joe Carrow

Comment

• digital desire
          • Dec 2006

My guess is they would be ok. Plenty of electronics out in space. Granted, not the *same* caps, but I would think they are ok.
          Peter
          Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• Undefinition
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by cjd
            Well, you may suck the mojo out of the caps! And balloon the ribbon on the inductors. The resistors, however, tend to resist *anything* well (except paint, but often including solder). So...

Check out Ryan's mount method though (Khanspire's up in the MA section). Very slick!

C
            Just like how the sub amp in my last car let out its magic smoke. I must have driven through a vacuum.
            Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
            Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"