Large Format Usher Audio/Altec MTM Open Baffles...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Openly Baffled
    • Nov 2007

Large Format Usher Audio/Altec MTM Open Baffles...

Hello all, this is my first post here and just wanted to say hi... HI! :B

Anyway, I heard from another member here (chasw98 ) that there's a few members here that are into OB's, so I figured I'd join in on the fun and share my little project with everyone here.

So the original plan was to build an Usher Audio D2 clone using the exact same Usher 15HM drivers (4 of them, 2 per channel) and Altec 511B horns with Altec 902-8B drivers. The D2's use TAD horns and drivers, much better than what I can afford, and I already have the Altecs anyway and like them, so hey, why not?! :P

That was the original plan. I decided to build some quick and simple OB's to just get the Usher drivers up and running so they would be broken in when I finally got around to building the clones. Well, one thing led to another, and once I heard how things were shaping up with the OB's, I decided to scrap the D2 clone idea altogether and keep the OB's. So that's where I'm at now.

And when I say "large format", I mean it. These OB's have turned out to be 82"H x 24"W x 4.75"D. They stand nearly 7' tall and the base skids are a total of 31" long, 7" of which are stuck out front so they won't topple over on their face. The baffles are made out of 0.75" MDF and all the bracing and such are made out of standard 2x4's. The Altecs have small mounting ears on the backs of them so they could be angled up and down on Altec cabinets. In order to mount them to my baffles, I cut small "V" notches in the baffles so the ears would not get in the way and have maximum surface contact with the baffles for a secure fit. These OB's certainly aren't the prettiest things out there, but their sound more than makes up for it.

So how do they sound? Well, in a word... GREAT!

These OB's turned out much better than I had thought. My main concern was the integration between the 511B's and the OB's. For starters, a few people were telling me that the 511's would not work in an MTM configuration due to their dispersion characteristics, no matter what kind of enclosure used. They also said the same would be true because of the combination of a horn and a dipole. Well, I hate to rain on their parade, but they couldn't be further from the truth! Not only do the 511's blend in nicely with the MTM configuration, but they also integrate very well with the OB dispersion.

When I fired the OB's up for the first time, I had the xover freq set at 600Hz. Over a period of a few days of tweaking the woofer time delay and overall EQ, I have managed to get the xover freq up to 1kHz is excellent results. The 15HM drivers are very happy playing up to 1kHz and do so with mucho detail and liveliness. Of course, I am still tweaking the EQ a little bit nearly every day I listen.

The latest tweaks that I just did a few minutes ago include plugging the outer sectoral sections of the horns nearest to the side walls with a couple of folded up towels, and adding some boost on the EQ between 50Hz to 125Hz. I've also done a little more EQ work around the xover freq. I think I might have hit the nail on the head this time with these tweaks. These have by far been the largest and best improvements.

Right now, I have Norah Jones in my room giving me a personal performance. at least, that's how it sounds! When I shut my eyes, it gets downright spooky because you could swear that you are right there with the performers. It actually gets a little unnerving at times. I'm in another room at the moment writing this and the "live" sound is still very convincing. Like I've said on other forums about these OB's, they have a very "real" sound to them. I really don't know how else to describe it.

As for imaging, soundstaging and depth, think of some really good bookshelf speakers set up properly in a room. That's exactly how these sound except they also include scale and dynamics into the mix. They also portray size and height very well. Again, very convincing.

BTW, these OB's replaced a pair of '78 Klipsch Cornwalls that were modded. The Klipsch woofers were only being used and I had the Altecs on top taking care of everything from 600Hz up.

Anyway, enough talking for now. I want you all to see these things and give you a chance to ask questions and/or make comments. I'll post a fwe pics here but you can see all of them on my website... http://charlest.zenfolio.com/

Last edited by Openly Baffled; 21 November 2007, 20:52 Wednesday.
  • ttan98
    • Mar 2007

You are Chops in DIYAudio Forum, just curious why do you change your name here?

BTW nice system..

Comment

• Openly Baffled
      • Nov 2007

Why not? What's the difference? I have many different names for different forums. Sometimes "chops" is already taken. No particular reason.

And thanks.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I've been following the DIYaudio and the AVS threads, looks like you're having fun... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Openly Baffled
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by ThomasW
          I've been following the DIYaudio and the AVS threads, looks like you're having fun... :T
          I definately am. You know as well as I do how involving and exciting good OB's can be. So just imagine how I'm feeling with these. :B

Comment

• chasw98
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

Hello Charles from Charles. You made it!

Comment

• Openly Baffled
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by chasw98
              Hello Charles from Charles. You made it!
              LOL! Yep, I made it over here finally. :assimilate:

Comment

• BobEllis
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

Interesting project.

My college roomie had a pair of A-7 clones in a room that looks about the same size. The horns seemed a bit "shouty" (of course it could have easily been the XO). Do the towels in the horns help HOMs like Earl Geddes' foam inserts?

Comment

• Openly Baffled
                  • Nov 2007

I ended up taking the towels out. They dulled down the sound too much. I may have to try those foam inserts you're talking about.

Do you have a link to them? Oh, and what does "HOMs" mean?

Comment

• BobEllis
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2005

HOMs - High order modes, reflections inside the horn that contibute to that "horn sound" according to Earl Geddes (with the big assumption that I understand what he's posted). Some signals get reflected top to bottom and side to side smearing the perceived arrival.

Earl uses a low density foam in his waverguides, but I don't think that he'll sell it by itself. I've heard that he will sell his complete waveguide assembly, though. His website is www.gedlee.com

Comment

• Openly Baffled
                      • Nov 2007

Thanks BobEllis. I'll have to check that out and see what I can come up with.

BTW, since I run Win XP Pro 64-Bit, I can no longer use TrueRTA on my system, which ticks me off a little. But anyway, I just tried SynRTA today on my system on the 1/24 octave resolution. Man, the refresh time on this software sucks! Forget about bumping it up to the 1/48 resolution or you'll be waiting half the day for a response.

Anywho, this is what I got. This is both channels driven, SPL was about +40dB above the noise floor (about 85dB) at my listening position, the mic used is the Behringer ECM8000 mounted to a sturdy mic stand and boom, the mic preamp is a dbx 760X, and the soundcard is a SoundBlaster Audigy2 Platinum. Pink Noise was provided by my Behringer DEQ1024.

As you can see in the chart, there's a nasty peak right around 900Hz that I can't seem to get rid of and a pretty substantial dip around 15kHz. I'm not sure if that might be room related or not.

Just as a note, the EQ'ed curve is what I did by ear, not with the RTA software. It looks like I did a fairly decent job considering.

Does anyone know of any other RTA software out there that will run on a 64-bit platform, and possibly free that might be better than this SynRTA? I'm hoping TrueRTA will come out with an upgrade soon so I can start using it again.

Red = EQ Enabled
                      Green = EQ Disabled

Last edited by Openly Baffled; 23 November 2007, 23:44 Friday.

Comment

• Ludvig
                        • Jan 2006

I would use SynRTA insted of TrueRTA seven days a week!

Since the noise is synchronous in SynRTA you get reliable low frequency response in just a few secconds.

That is completely impossible with TrueRTA or any other stocastic noise based real time analyzers.

Comment

• Openly Baffled
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Ludvig

That is completely impossible with TrueRTA or any other stocastic noise based real time analyzers.
                          I don't know why you say that. Have you ever used the full version of TrueRTA before?

If you have TrueRTA and the required inputs and outputs set up properly, it's a very effective and accurate tool. It's a much better piece of software than SynRTA by a long shot.

Comment

• Dennis H
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Aug 2002

Pink Noise was provided by my Behringer DEQ1024.
                            Maybe that's why SynRTA is running so slow for you. It uses a special signal that sounds like pink noise but it's really something else. You can burn the signal to a CD if hooking up your computer is too much hassle.

"SynRTA's operation is keyed and synchronized to specific test signals that sound like pink noise (but aren't really noise at all). This lets SynRTA response graphs appear stable and very repeatable at each graph update . SynRTA response graphs don't need to "settle"."

Comment

• Ludvig
                              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Openly Baffled
                              I don't know why you say that. Have you ever used the full version of TrueRTA before?

If you have TrueRTA and the required inputs and outputs set up properly, it's a very effective and accurate tool. It's a much better piece of software than SynRTA by a long shot.
                              Yes, I have a full version of TrueRTA, not the latest version though. The stocastic noise measurments can not provide stable low frequency data. The quicksweep function however generates good low frequency curves, but it has poor signal to noise integrity and requires a very strong input signal to function properly. It also put very large excursion demands on the woofers since it puts out full power from 10Hz and up.

SynRTA provides curves even when signal is weak and since it is noise based, doesn't overdrive the woofers.

Note that I use SynRTA for in room low frequency room correction only. For speaker measurements both programs are too simple and do not provide the accuracy needed to provide useful measurements.

Comment

• Ludvig
                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Dennis H

"SynRTA's operation is keyed and synchronized to specific test signals that sound like pink noise (but aren't really noise at all). This lets SynRTA response graphs appear stable and very repeatable at each graph update . SynRTA response graphs don't need to "settle"."
                                Thats the key point with synRTA. It do not function properly with ordinary pink noise, it must use its own generated syncronous noise.

Now I understand why you don't like it, it doesn't work the way you are using it

Comment

• Openly Baffled
                                  • Nov 2007

Thats the key point with synRTA. It do not function properly with ordinary pink noise, it must use its own generated syncronous noise.

Now I understand why you don't like it, it doesn't work the way you are using it

Well pooh! I better go back and try it again.

Dennis, it's not too much of a hassle to connect my PC to the system. It's always connected via a 30' run of coax from the digital out and works quite well. :T

Thanks guys! I'll get back with you in a few.
                                  Last edited by Openly Baffled; 23 November 2007, 23:47 Friday.

Comment

• Openly Baffled
                                    • Nov 2007

Well here's the new chart using the built-in pink noise. It doesn't make much sense to me. It's a totally different kind of reading.

Comment

• Ludvig
                                      • Jan 2006

To understand the curves we need to know what you are measuring.

Please describe the test setup and how you have configured SynRTA.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2002

Were you playing the noise from a CD? Looks like you have the output mixer disabled.

Comment

• Openly Baffled
                                          • Nov 2007

It's exactly as it was before, only this time using SynRTA's pink noise.

This is both channels driven, mic at my listening position, the mic used is the Behringer ECM8000 mounted to a sturdy mic stand and boom, the mic preamp is a dbx 760X, and the soundcard is a SoundBlaster Audigy2 Platinum.

Comment

• Openly Baffled
                                            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Dennis H
                                            Were you playing the noise from a CD? Looks like you have the output mixer disabled.
                                            It was disabled because I had already run it and saved the chart reading.

Comment

• Openly Baffled
                                              • Nov 2007

Also, the sound the mic was picking up was feeding back through the system. I don't think the soundcard is supposed to pass that mic signal back through, is it? If so, I'm not sure how to disable it on the soundcard.

Comment

• Ludvig
                                                • Jan 2006

Unfortunately SB Audigy has a hardware monitoring from input to output that you can not disable. So that soundboard is of limited use in measurements.

But if you burn a CD with the noise, so you don't need the soundboard output, the monitoring is no longer a problem.

Be sure to burn the noise with correct resolution (the same as you use for monitoring in SynRTA). Different resolutions needs different noise!

Comment

• Openly Baffled
                                                  • Nov 2007

Unfortunately SB Audigy has a hardware monitoring from input to output that you can not disable. So that soundboard is of limited use in measurements.
                                                  Nope. Hate to say it, but you're wrong on that one.

I had to go into the I/O mixer and mute the mic "Monitor" feature. IOW, the soundcard will pick up the mic input, but it won't pass it through to the output again.

Here's the latest chart with some more tweaking done on the EQ. Looks better now.

Comment

• Ludvig
                                                    • Jan 2006

I had to go into the I/O mixer and mute the mic "Monitor" feature. IOW, the soundcard will pick up the mic input, but it won't pass it through to the output again.

Here's the latest chart with some more tweaking done on the EQ. Looks better now.

OK, great! I had the Audigy2 myself a few years ago, but not the platinum version. They seem to differ in that regard.

I hope you can see the benefits with synRTA with stable, fast settling low frequency response now that it is working properly in your setup. Good luck!

Comment

• Openly Baffled
                                                      • Nov 2007

OK, great! I had the Audigy2 myself a few years ago, but not the platinum version. They seem to differ in that regard.

I hope you can see the benefits with synRTA with stable, fast settling low frequency response now that it is working properly in your setup. Good luck!
                                                      Yep, it's working good now.

If you noticed, I changed the chart in my last post. The one in your quote was accidentally done at 1/12 octave, so I remeasured it in 1/24 octave and edited my last post. And I also tweaked the EQ just a tad bit more.

Speaking of EQ, here's what it looks like now:

It went from this by ear...

To this with the help of SynRTA...

Comment

• Ludvig
                                                        • Jan 2006

Impressive! Be careful with those golden ears :T

Comment

• JonP
                                                          • Apr 2006

Yep, that needs to be done with any card that has a "monitor the input" feature enabled by default. The Right Mark Audio Analyzer site has papers on how to disable this on various Creative (and some others, IIRC) cards.

Even if you don't get audible feedback, you can have a rather non-flat frequency response when this is going on, and thereby bad readings.. It's a good cross check to run your sound card in loopback test with RMAA, and you'll see in an instant if you have this problem....

Comment

• cjd
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Dec 2004

Looks a little hot around 70Hz and 160Hz (give or take) still. I'm guessing the frequencies.

Nice work. How do they sound though!

C
                                                            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Openly Baffled
                                                              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by cjd
                                                              Looks a little hot around 70Hz and 160Hz (give or take) still. I'm guessing the frequencies.

Nice work. How do they sound though!

C
                                                              It is a little bit probably. It doesn't seem to be much of an issue though. Once I play a larger variety of music through them when I get the chance, I'll see what more tweaking is needed.

As for their sound, check out my first post in this thread. Everything still applies as then, only that NOW the overall tonality is better.

Comment

• Openly Baffled
                                                                • Nov 2007

I've been at it again today, this time for several hours. I started completely from scratch, putting the xover and EQ settings to "zero" so to speak. I turned the horns off and just played with the xover settings on the Ushers only. Once I got them where I wanted them with the proper xover point, I turned them off and had a go with the horns. I did the same with them minus the xover point. Once I got their levels just right, I turned the Ushers back on and tweaked with the woofer delay settings until everything was plending as close to perfect as I could get them.

You know, I remember reading somewhere that if you use and adjust a crossover properly (xover point, levels, delay), it can have a similar effect as using a parametric EQ. After spending a couple hours alone simply adjusting the xover, I now see how this is completely possible! Without even touching the EQ, I was able to get a pretty decent flat response from 100Hz all the way up to 10kHz and completely eliminating that annoying peak around 1kHz I had before.

So back to tuning... Once I got everything sounding as good as possible with JUST the xover, I started work on the EQ. With about an hour of tweaking, the EQ itself looks totally different and civilized compared to before, as does the curve on the SynRTA graph.

And just a couple pics of the RTA setup...

Comment

• Openly Baffled
                                                                  • Nov 2007

I've got a couple updates. Not that anyone cares (which is apparently quite obvious).

1) I just ordered a Behringer DCX2496 digital xover which I will be using on the front three channels. At the same time, I ordered an AudioSource AMP100 which I will be using to bi-amp the center channel (one channel for the woofer, one channel for the horn).

2) I added some LED rope lights to the backs of the OB's and to the bottom of the couch and took a few night shots.

Comment

• Openly Baffled
                                                                    • Nov 2007

Another update...

I now have the Behringer DCX2496 up and running, tuned and tweaked. I've also got the center channel bi-amped with the AudioSource AMP100, AND...

I got in the Usher 15PA driver a week or so ago. Today I finally had the time to install it into the center channel. With a little trimming of the original enclosure (4.23 cf sealed), I was able to shoe-horn the Usher driver in.

As you can tell by the pictures below, I am also trying a slightly different driver configuration just for the heck of it. So far, it sounds pretty darn good and matches up pretty well with the mains from about 100Hz on up. ATM, it's only tuned by ear, but seems fairly close in tonal balance with the mains.

If I can find the time on my next day off, I'll fire up SynRTA and run through the front three channels.

BTW, I also totally rewired the entire system and moved the equipment around a bit. Everything is now on the rack where it should be, IC cables are shorter, tied together and seperated as far as possible from the power cables. The power cables are also tied together. All new speaker wire was run to the front three channels as well.

Anywho, here's a few pics of how it sits right now.

Comment

• JimS
                                                                      • Dec 2005

Hi Charles - Looks like fun!! :T

Interesting tidbit I've noticed on the board is how many OB-builders are either bass players or drummers - might be some correlation to what we're interested in hearing - or might just be coincidence :W

Comment

• Openly Baffled
                                                                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by JimS
                                                                        Hi Charles - Looks like fun!! :T

Interesting tidbit I've noticed on the board is how many OB-builders are either bass players or drummers - might be some correlation to what we're interested in hearing - or might just be coincidence :W
                                                                        Yeah, that does seem to be true, doesn't it?!

I for one have always been interested in the bass end of things. Don't get me wrong, I demand a "real" and natural fullrange sound just as much as the next guy. And it's not all that hard to get a good sounding midrange and treble out of a system as long as you have decent equipment and speakers. But where the real trick lies is in the accurate reproduction of bass material. There's so many more interactions with enclosures, rooms, surrounding surfaces, the human body, etc, etc when it comes to bass.

I have said it all along that my old dipole subs were the best sounding subs I had ever heard, and that still holds true today. They just did everything right. The push-pull sub I have now does pretty good, but it's still not like the dipoles. It's hard to explain, but there's just something about bass coming from open baffle loudspeakers that just sounds right that no "box" speaker or sub can match. This is why I have stuck with this design with these current OB's.

With a little bit more EQ tweaking in the DCX2496 yesterday, I am getting some really impressive deep bass out of these Usher drivers. I seriously believe that they are extending down to at least 25Hz now with little effort. I'll pull out the mic tomorrow and fire up SynRTA to take some measurements, but those graphs don't always tell the whole story. Sometimes they don't show what you're really hearing, but I'll see what I come up with.

BTW, the sub is now used ONLY for movies. For all of my music needs, the OB's are doing plenty well on their own, even with pipe organ music! :T

Comment

Working...
                                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                        Search Result for "|||"