KET studios
    600 Cooper Dr.
    Lexington, KY

more info available on the PE site:

come one, come all
    Ed
  • MuaDibb
    • Oct 2006

Wow! Thats fantastic, I went to college at UK and lived in Lex. for 20years, and I'm just 25 miles away now. I've been dying to get to a DIY event for awhile, I'm just finishing Jed's D4 design, and would like to bring that. Looking forward to seeing other designs! Tom
    Ultimately all things are known because we want to believe we know.

Zensunni Wanderer

Comment

• Jed
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Apr 2005

Cool MuaDibb, I was just thinking I would send a pair of the Lineup Speakers out so people could hear them, and then I saw your post.

Comment

• TNRRClassic
        • Nov 2006

Dang it all!!! We are in the process of trying to find jobs so we can move back to Lexington. We were back visiting my family last month, and nearly died over not being there already. If we were there, it would motivate me to get the CC 6.8, RS52, Neo finished. I haven't even started on them yet. Anyway, you all have fun and post a review of how things go. Have fun!

Comment

• EdL
          • Apr 2005

One last bump just in case someone missed it. We are already thinking about the next one. Options include visits to Eminence Loudspeakers, Thiel Audio (they might host), or the new Allison Acoustics.
          Ed

Comment

• dlneubec
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

I went to the Lexington DIY event and I wanted to let you all know about a couple of speakers that folks that frequent here designed and or built. There might have been others there who frequent this forum, so if I missed your efforts, I apologize!

MaudDib's (Tom Bond) and Jed's Lineup D4's were excellent small speakers. They are hard to beat in a package that small. Tom's build was very attractive with the dual hardwood color combination and the curly maple in the port area.

Also, Ed L's version of the Modula MTM (by Jon Marsh) was perhaps the most beautiful DIY speaker I've seen. His craftsmanship was second to none and yes, they sounded great too! They have to be seen to be believed.

Well done to all four fellows involved!

It was a fun event and the room was very dead and an excellent venue.
            Dan N.

Comment

• MuaDibb
              • Oct 2006

Well Dan you beat me to it. I guess I should have utilized my work time better today and posted already. :lol:

Jed, you speakers were well received, several said they were the best sounding small speaker there. I must say all the designs sounded good, each had their strengths.

Jim Griffin had a mini TL with a 3" and tweet that used a vinyl post cover for the cabinet, worked really well and under $100 for everything I think. He also had one with a Jordan driver and Aurum Cantus ribbon that sounded nice.

Wolf had several designs that sounded nice including his budget winner from Iowa, great job Wolf, you must not sleep much.

Shawn A. had a really nice mtm and some small 2-ways called Ze Clonads ( I think ) that had amazing bass.

Ed L. had a Modula TL that was absolutely gorgeous, my skills are now lessened. :cry:

But the nicest sounding speaker of the day goes to Dan in my mind. The presentation sounded more like a live performance than any box speakers I've heard. I really haven't heard any OB speakers but I'm guessing this approaches something like I've heard others describe.

Hats of to Clark and the others for getting this together, it was a very nice event. The sponsors really came through and provided lots of great gear for giveaways. I got a WT3 from PE and it was a breeze to use!
              Ultimately all things are known because we want to believe we know.

Zensunni Wanderer

Comment

• Jed
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by MuaDibb
                Jed, you speakers were well received, several said they were the best sounding small speaker there.

Awesome! Thanks for bringing the speakers to the event. :T

Comment

• EdL
                  • Apr 2005

When I got home I told my wife I had some new friends and renewed acquaintences with some old ones.

Dan, Thanks for bringing your speakers and raising the bar for us all. One of these days I'll have the equipment to approach what you do already.

I'm looking for composite fence posts. Jim had such an elegant use of available materials. They sounded good. They're on the list.

Tom/Jed...Jed/Tom they are a good design in a good presentation. Tom, ygm, we're too close not to stay in touch.

Over on PE, Wolf commented the "port" on my Modula made him imagine a "flushing" sound. As if I didn't have enough incentive to finish them already!...Stay tuned, photos @ 11

Clark did a wonderful job, not to mention this was his first DIY. A gentleman, selfless, willing to contribute to benefit us all. Thanks!

Who's next? Knoxville? Nashville? Asheville?
                  Ed

Comment

• Biff
                    • Jul 2006

Asheville?

Hey, if there gets to be some serious interest in one around Asheville let me know, I have a nice big rental home in Maggie Valley (about 25 minutes away) and can always use an excuse to run out to the mountains. I'd be willing to put some people up if useful, too. The music scene is terrific in Asheville with the Orange Peel, Gray Eagle, Jack of the Woods, Diane Wortham and Thomas Wolfe theatres. Just a few weeks back we caught Nickel Creek with Bela Fleck there, and Gillian Welch and David Rawling earlier. I believe the Kruger Brothers are playing at Jack soon. Heck, I may even have enough space to host! www.watersonglodge.com

Comment

• EdL
                      • Apr 2005

Hi Biff,

Your interest may be the seed that takes root and turns into a get-together.

I mentioned Asheville because I know there are some low country folks with an interest to participate. I also know Asheville is a town I want to re-visit. I was there for the city-wide street festival this past summer. There were too many things to accomplish in one weekend. It would be a good location.

It is not too soon to begin plotting something in the spring, say late April-early May (please avoid the first Saturday of May...that's Derby day...pretty big around here)
                      Ed

Comment

• Dylan Matlow
                        • Jun 2007

It was a good time, I'm looking forward to something in the region come spring that way I can bring something that can be listened to instead of a giant paper weight! I couldn't make it home prior to the event to pick anything up and all I had handy was the 6.5" prototype... I wish I could have arrived sooner (Thanksgiving plans and way too much driving) but what I saw was brilliant as ever.

The 6.5" got tentatively measured and theres a breakup at 4.5khz as more or less expected (thanks Shawn)... The breakup wasn't as mean as some other rigid cones but it could still use some work.

Ed, great job and amazing work. The workmanship was excellent and the sound was great too ( Modula = :T )

The room was great for evaluating the speaker itself, a much improved environment from DIY dayton.

I didn't hear a single speaker that I wouldn't be happy listening to on a daily basis.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"