X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpmst3
    • Oct 2007

Best MTM kit using PE enclosure??

Hey guys,

I am looking for suggestions for the best (or at least one of the better) MTM designs that will work with the 1 cubic foot PE cabinets.

I don't want to spend $1500 PER speaker for an LCR setup. But, I am not interested in saving $200 if there is a much better driver combo out there. Also, I don't want to spend $500 more for .01% better performance. I just don't want to build something that I regret becasue I could have spent a couple more dollars and used better components.

I hope that makes sense.

I may build Jim/Curt's Statements. They seem like an excellent design, but I am trying to avoid building large tower speakers for HT.
    I really only need smaller speakers with "big" sound to get down to about 60Hz for the subs to take over from there.

I have never heard the Modula MTM or Natalie Ps so I don't have anything to compare to them. I also don't have any experience building crossovers let alone designing them.

So, based on all that can someone suggest an excellent set of drivers that might work with one of the existing crossover designs?

Thanks in advance guys!
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

I have heard the NatP's and they are excellent especially for the cost! The Modula MTM is just that much better! So I would recommend either of those.

Also I don't know how much you've been following The Statements build thread but a few people have built sealed versions as smaller bookshelfs. Might be something you could check out. Of course they won't fit in the PE enclosures but just a thought.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• jpmst3
        • Oct 2007

Thanks guys! :

Yes Dougie, I did consider the sealed version of the Statements as well. Not a bad setup really. I still may go that route if I can't find a well enough documented alternative project. The Modula may be the way to go if I can't find another suitable MTM or related design.

I just don't have the knowledge or ability to design anything so good documentation goes along way.

Thomas, thanks for the link! Did you ever hear that design? It looks impressive on paper.

Comment

• Maximiliano
          • Sep 2007

If you want the best possible performance obtainable with that much money, how about using two Scan Speak 5.5" or 7" Revelators and an AirCirc 6600 in a sealed PE cabinet? -3 dB at 60 Hz should be possible.

Then, who can design a crossover? Contact Rick Craig at Selah Audio. He is an excellent speaker designer and I heard that his design fee is not that bad. Just my $.02.

Max

Comment

• subynube
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Dougie085
            I have heard the NatP's and they are excellent especially for the cost! The Modula MTM is just that much better! So I would recommend either of those.

Dougie: you seem to be one of the few that have compared Modula MTM to Nat P. You say the Modula sounded better. What did you notice to be the difference?

jpmst3: I have built the Nat P's, and quite glad that I have. The Nat P's corssover is much more simple and cheap than the Modula MTM, but I am not sure if you spend the more money for the Modula, how much gain you will get. The Nat P may be better for the money. But the Modula MTM, for some more money and crossover headaches, may be sonically worth the extra commitment. Maybe Dougie can shed some more light.

Comment

• jpmst3
              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Maximiliano
              If you want the best possible performance obtainable with that much money, how about using two Scan Speak 5.5" or 7" Revelators and an AirCirc 6600 in a sealed PE cabinet? -3 dB at 60 Hz should be possible.

Then, who can design a crossover? Contact Rick Craig. I heard that his design fee is not that bad. Just my $.02.

Max
              Thanks Max, I value your opinion.

I am ignorant to all things speaker building but trying to learn fast. I am not familiar with those drivers but I will do some rudimentary research.

Yes, having the crossover designed is an excellent idea. It sure would take the major guesswork out of the equation.

-3db at 60 Hz sounds about perfect and the sealed setup is my preference as well.

I have no trouble at all building my own cabinets, but for the money the new curved back PE cabinets seem like a good value and time saver too.

Comment

• jpmst3
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by subynube
                jpmst3: I have built the Nat P's, and quite glad that I have. The Nat P's corssover is much more simple and cheap than the Modula MTM, but I am not sure if you spend the more money for the Modula, how much gain you will get. The Nat P may be better for the money. But the Modula MTM, for some more money and crossover headaches, may be sonically worth the extra commitment. Maybe Dougie can shed some more light.
                Ya, I guess it would really help to get a couple of opinions on the two designs. I definitely see your point with the complexity and cost/benefit analysis.

Comment

• jpmst3
                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Maximiliano
                  Max, is there a preferred place to obtain these drivers? I am assuming PE would not carry this sort of thing.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see Madisound is the place.

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Thomas is Co Designer of the NeoD CC so I'd say he's deffinately heard it and it's supposed to be excellent! So yeah I didn't think of that one not sure why? But it would probably be the best design that will fit in those enclosures.

I have not heard the Modula MTM's just was stating that they are supposed to be that much better then the NatP's.

Comment

• jpmst3
                      • Oct 2007

Thomas is Co Designer of the NeoD CC so I'd say he's deffinately heard it and it's supposed to be excellent! So yeah I didn't think of that one not sure why? But it would probably be the best design that will fit in those enclosures.

I have not heard the Modula MTM's just was stating that they are supposed to be that much better then the NatP's.
                      Thanks. I will peruse the NeoD CC thread and see what I can glean from it.

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

And if your looking for documentation that thread has pages! I mean I don't think any other design has been more documented.

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by jpmst3
                          Thomas, thanks for the link! Did you ever hear that design? It looks impressive on paper.
                          Yes those are my personal speakers you see in the thread.

When we finished testing them Jon said, "these are the best speakers I've ever designed"...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• jpmst3
                            • Oct 2007

And if your looking for documentation that thread has pages! I mean I don't think any other design has been more documented.
                            Excellent! Yes, I see there is some good info contained within. :T

For us amateurs (me at least ) that goes a long toward a successful build and blissful listening.

I am just wondering if there an major redesigns required for vertical or horizontal orientation for LCR??

Comment

• jpmst3
                              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by ThomasW
                              Yes those are my personal speakers you see in the thread.

When we finished testing them Jon said, "these are the best speakers I've ever designed"...
                              Ahh, I see. :T With your extensive design/building/listening experience that is saying something.

Thanks for providing that testimonial.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

Thomas and Jon have designed a lot of speakers on the forums. Also that speaker was designed to be used either verticle or horizontal. So no changes need to be made.

Comment

• jpmst3
                                  • Oct 2007

Thomas and Jon have designed a lot of speakers on the forums. Also that speaker was designed to be used either verticle or horizontal. So no changes need to be made.
                                  Great! Another positive for that design. :

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"