X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Robert F.
    • Apr 2007

Need your expert advice

Hello All,
    Wife surprised me by saying she wants a flat screen television. :E Catch is that I have to construct a wall unit with built in mains and center channel. The room size is 14’ x 16’ with cathedral ceiling. I would like some advice on this. I will choose the Modula MT or the Natalie P with the non BSC crossover for flush mounting in wall and the speaker boxes will be inset into the wall. I understand that the Natalie will need an amp that is 4 ohm stable. Questions are what would be best speaker to use. If I use The Nat P how will it perform as a center channel in the horizontal position and if I choose the Modula MT how will it perform as a center laid on its side? I am not too concerned about the SPL of the speakers as I have a pair of Signet SL280EXB 2-ways that I bought in 93. They are plenty loud in the room. Just looking for some pros and cons to each choice and what configuration would be the best compromise to get a very nice sounding system. I will also build a sub to go with whatever speakers. Any combination would be considered such as Modula MT mains and Nat P center. Let me know what you think.

Thanks
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Neither will perform to their full potential on their side, though the MTM would be a little bit better. A number of folks have used my MTM with the NatP mains - power handling is equivalent to the Modula MT, and off-axis is good to about 20 degrees off-axis when placed horizontally. There's an on-wall variant that should do the trick for you.

Also, Onkyo's new line of HDMI1.3 capable receivers are all very much 4ohm stable (actually should be ok with 3ohm) starting with the 705. (leaving only their cheapest model off the list). Others may also support this.
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

If everything is custom construction, would you HAVE to lay a center ModulaMT on its side?
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Robert F.
        • Apr 2007

Might not have to lay horizonal but it would look better to wife.

Comment

• Robert F.
          • Apr 2007

Thanks cjd. I found web link to your design and will check it out.

Comment

• Sefferdog
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by cjd
            A number of folks have used my MTM with the NatP mains - power handling is equivalent to the Modula MT, and off-axis is good to about 20 degrees off-axis when placed horizontally.
            I have used that very configuration cjd mentions above and there is no problem with integration between the center and mains. It was a very nice sounding setup. :T

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"