X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

Need some turntable help

Hi guys. I just finished my new music room where I'll be listening to my bookshelf speakers I just finished. Anyhoo, I got a TT for the heck of it. It's an NAD 553, a Rega P2 clone. My problem is when I lower the needle onto the platter it just slides straight to the center! I have two little levels that confirm that the platter is level. I didn't think there was anything pushing the arm correct? Also under the little red NAD emblem is a slide switch of some kind, it's labeled 0,1,2. What's this for?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture002.webp
Views:	35
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	943042

Sorry for the blurry pic. I tried several distances and turned the flash on and off but it must have just been to dark for the camera. Thanks for any advice!

EDIT: the TT is an NAD C555
    Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 23:41 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

If the stylus doesn't track you need to adjust the amount of pressure. Zero out the balance, then dial in the amount needed for your cartridge (turn the counter weight on the back of the tonearn).

The owners manual talks about a 'bias' control (probably means anti-skate), and says it's set to the same weight as the stylus.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• augerpro
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2006

Thanks Thomas for the help. So if I adjust the counterweight to 1.7g as suggested, I should also set the bias slider to 1.7g? What does the bias slider bias? Should it be set to 0 when I adjust the counterweight, then set to match whatever I set the counterweight to?
      ~Brandon 8O
      DriverVault
      Soma Sonus

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I just looked at the manual onlne.

I've never heard of 'bias' but that's what they call the switch in the manual, so I'm guessing it's anti-skate.

Usually one sets the anti-skate to '0", then backs off on the counter-weight until the arm balances.

Then dial in the appropriate amount of weight and set the anti-skate. If there's a setting for the bias to 1.7 do that otherwise try 1 or 2 and see which sounds best.

I used to have a special Telarc record set where one side had no grooves. One would set the needle on that side and adjust the anti-skate so the needle stayed in one position in the middle of the record.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Ray Collins
          • Mar 2006

Augerpro,
          Thomas is correct....also, check your stylus. The stylus and area around it can become matted with dust/etc. It may need to be brushed so that the stylus is the only point touching the record. Without a stylus gauge I would adjust the counterweight until the arm hovers parallel over the record surface....then set the counterweight scale to zero. Next, set the appropriate tonearm weight according to the cartridge manufacturer's specs. Not exact but in the ball park until you purchase a stylus gauge etc. Anti-skate usually matches gram weight setting or less...depends on the arm.
          I also suggest placing a mirror on the platter surface and setting the stylus/arm in the center of it. You can check for perpendicular lie by looking head on and for rake from the side. Tinker with it until it "drops in",i.e.,it will sound "right". Believe me, you will know.

Ray
          Wine is constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.
          BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Comment

• Dennis H
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2002

Just to clarify what these guys are saying, what your tonearm is doing is "skating", i.e. it will move across a record with no grooves. So you need to adjust the "anti-skate" control. No idea what NAD may call that control.

Comment

• augerpro
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2006

I adjusted the counterweight properly and everything is all good now! I forgot I had messed with it when I first got the TT, and had it backed off too much so there wasn't enough weight on the needle.
              ~Brandon 8O
              DriverVault
              Soma Sonus

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"