• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Need replacement 4" woofer and 2.5" tweeter - Please help

Hello Everyone,

Forgive my ignorance if I ask or mention anything really basic. I know nothing about the DIY audio world. My closest experience was building car stereos systems.

I want to replace the tweeter and woofer for a pair of speakers of mine. Nothing fancy. The cones got damaged, and I just want to replace it, and perhaps get a bit better sound out of them. I have a little Panasonic micro-stereo. It is only 30watts per channel at 6ohms.

The woofer is 4" and the tweeter is 2.25". Only place I really know where to look for speaker parts is partsexpress.com. I tried doing a search for 4" woofers and tweeters, but it's not good searching for numbers only. I have no idea what the crossover is set to.

1 - Where should I look for a 4" woofer? Get a little more bass maybe.
    I can't really expand the box (it's only 5.5" wide and 8" deep)

2 - Tweeter? Should I change the size of the tweeter? I like dome vs cone. Or could I perhaps cut a bigger hole and go horns?

All for 30watts @ 6ohms
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720
  • Jonny_boy
    • Oct 2007

d'OH!!!

I need new glasses...
    Last edited by Jonny_boy; 07 November 2007, 15:06 Wednesday.

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

It's not a car. It's a home micro system. 30 watts.
      B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

This is like saying you want a generic motor to replace one in your car....There are no generic drop-in replacement drivers, since the ones in the system are specific to it.

This is one of those situations where the best solution will be buying a new system.

If you had the tools to measure and test the old drivers you could probably find some suitable replacements.

Problem is buying the tools to do the testing would cost more than simply buying a replacement system

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Nemophyle
          • Jul 2006

i'd say, either buy theses : AR 6.5" bin speaker

or go the full diy way, but there is no middle way

the linked speakers are a bargain for the price and will likely work with your amplifier cause of the easy imp load

if you wan't to go diy, simple and cheap project : Zaph's ZMB4

I second thomas, you'd better buy/build new speakers than put random speakers in a random enclosure.

Comment

• Dennis H
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2002

I'd say your only hope would be to contact Panasonic and see if they have replacement drivers. If they don't, it's time to start over from scratch.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"