X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • subynube
    • Apr 2007

crossover question on Nat. P's

At what frequency are the mid drivers high passed? Or do they just play all frequencies below the low pass filter at about 2000hz (approximate XO low pass).?

The reason I ask is because I may be buying an Emotiva pre/pro. However, when the processor sets up the speakers, and chose "small" for the mains, this activates an internal XO and high passes the speakers at 60 hz. If I chose "large", then it bypasses the sub altogether. So basically If I want the sub to work, then I have to chose "small" set up and play the Nat P's above 60 hz.
    I will likely be chosing the "small" set up, but am wondering if high passing the speakers at 60 hz will cut off the speakers higher than they are cut off through the Nat. P. XO's?

Clear as Mud???

Thanks folks. :T
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

There is no high-pass on a fullrange loudspeaker.

Use the 'small' setting on your prepro

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• subynube
      • Apr 2007

Thank you very much Thomas.

Now, when I high pass the pre/pro above 60 hz, I would imagine that this would cut off some necessary and very capable low frequency that the Nat P's are capable of. If the Nat P's are XO'd by the pre/pro above 60 hz, then I would imagine that the low frequency alignment of the port would suffer as well. I have a feeling that high passing these speakers through a pre/pro would add to some "bright" and forward sound without the ability to balance out low end well.
      Do you think high passing these at 60 would be detrimental to sound, or actually OK? Thanks again. If this doesnt work out, then this is not the processor for me.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

You're creating a solution for a problem that doesn't exist

Nothing is lost, the bass is redirected to the sub, the work load is taken off the RS180s.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• subynube
          • Apr 2007

Thanks again Thomas.

Final Question. Do you think it is preferred to find a processor that has a high pass above 40 hz for the Nat P's, or will the 60 hz high pass be fine?

Thank you ;x(

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

60Hz or 80Hz would be the frequencies of choice.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"