X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mazeroth
    • Nov 2004

12-Channel amp from PE on Buyout

What do you guys think about this amp that just showed up at PE?

Might not be a bad solution for someone running dual DCX2496s for a HT setup :T
  • joecarrow
    • Apr 2005

A part of me would feel bad about spending $500 on crossovers and $400 on amplification... but on the other hand, it could bring some interesting things within reach that otherwise wouldn't be.
    -Joe Carrow

Comment

• sfdoddsy
      • Sep 2000

Originally posted by Mazeroth

That's exactly what I run. But whilst I like the thought of having just one amp, I don't think it'd have enough power for my setup.
      Steve's OB Journey

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

You'd be surprised. Although my speakers are rather effecient I'm running them with a 57wpc gainclone.

Comment

• Johnloudb
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2007

It would be nice if you could bridge 2 of each of the 12 channels and have 6 channels with more power. Probably can't do that though.
          John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• gmikol
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Johnloudb
            It would be nice if you could bridge 2 of each of the 12 channels and have 6 channels with more power. Probably can't do that though.

Did you read the description on PE's site?

Additionally, each zone can be set for stereo, mono, or bridged-mono operation with volume adjustment.
            --Greg

Comment

• Johnloudb
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2007

Originally posted by gmikol
              Did you read the description on PE's site?

--Greg
              Obviously I didn't. ops: Thanks.
              John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• OTMOPO3OK
                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Mazeroth
                What do you guys think about this amp that just showed up at PE?

I'm also interested and was wondering if anyone bought the amp and tested it?

The review about "non-audiophile" quality is keeping me from ordering one.

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Well its kind of a distribution system amp. So I wouldn't expect anything great from it.

Comment

• OTMOPO3OK
                    • Dec 2007

Yeah I think down in my heart i know that.lol
                    Emotiva BPA-1 seems good for $130 a piece.
                    6 of these for 12ch x 75W for $770 seems like a very good deal. They are 8ohms minimum though. The thing i like is that they all have volume knobs!!!! No need for preamp.

Comment

• dlneubec
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

I picked up an Emotiva BPA-1 and it works very well powering the MTM sections of my NaO Mini's. It is not limited to 8ohms, except in brigded mode. It will do 4ohms @ 75w x2 and 150w bridged into 8 ohms. It also can run full range or in subwoofer mode, with an active variable low pass from 50-150hz, 18db/o, and can be daisy chained together. PE are selling these now and you just missed a sale they had at $100 each, free shipping.

BTW, the guys at PE confirmed that the active low pass crossover works in stereo mode as well, so you can use this amp to power stereo woofers or subwoofers with active crossover up to 150hz.

Emotiva BPA-1
                      Dan N.

Comment

• OTMOPO3OK
                        • Dec 2007

:uhoh: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :evil:

Ohh man, I would seriously have bought 6 of these things....
                        'FEW' questions to you as a direct user:
                        How do you like the sound compared to other gear you have?
                        Do they have a hiss at full volume with signal on 'pause'?
                        Pop while switching on?
                        Fan noise is critical for me since I sit within 1-2ft from my rack. How is it?

Can I daisy chain them so one volume control controls several at once? I think not.

Do they convert analog signal to digital for crossover/vol.control processing or is it all analog path? I don't want extra AD/DA in signal path.

How is the power rating compared to other equipment you have (or just experience)? I heard someone say that Emotiva is not that powerful but I don't know if he knew what he was talking about.
                        Will one of these run stereo 15" Woofers (HA Augies) in OB (so not too hard)?

Sorry for so many questions but you just spiked my interest through the roof by saying they can run 4ohm on each channel.
                        Seems like a perfect expandable amp for an active multi-way speakers in all HT. But what are the chances of PE repeating the sale again?!?!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your time!!!! :T ;x(

Comment

• dlneubec
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by OTMOPO3OK
                          :uhoh: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :evil:

Ohh man, I would seriously have bought 6 of these things....
                          'FEW' questions to you as a direct user:
                          How do you like the sound compared to other gear you have?
                          Do they have a hiss at full volume with signal on 'pause'?
                          Pop while switching on?
                          Fan noise is critical for me since I sit within 1-2ft from my rack. How is it?

Can I daisy chain them so one volume control controls several at once? I think not.

Do they convert analog signal to digital for crossover/vol.control processing or is it all analog path? I don't want extra AD/DA in signal path.

How is the power rating compared to other equipment you have (or just experience)? I heard someone say that Emotiva is not that powerful but I don't know if he knew what he was talking about.
                          Will one of these run stereo 15" Woofers (HA Augies) in OB (so not too hard)?

Sorry for so many questions but you just spiked my interest through the roof by saying they can run 4ohm on each channel.
                          Seems like a perfect expandable amp for an active multi-way speakers in all HT. But what are the chances of PE repeating the sale again?!?!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your time!!!! :T ;x(
                          There is not much I can answer here. The SQ is fine to my ears. Better than the Hk HT reciever these speakers were hooked to. I've done no other direct comparisons. I never tried to test any hiss at full signal, but my BPA-1 is set to full volume with the HT reciever acting as a preamp and volume control. The recievers preamp out is sent into an analog active crossover which sends the MTM section of the signal to the BPA-1, then to the speakers passive crossover. I've noticed no hiss.

I'm using them with the auto on setting, which does not make any pop. I'm not sure about it if not using the auto on. They claim no audible transients.

I have not heard the fan com on yet, but I've never run it for other than music and for maybe an hour at a time.

I can't answer the rest of your questions. The independent tests I've seen and user reviews of other Emotiva Equipment, except one of their preamps, has been extremely good for their price. Some reviews
                          I suggest you forward these questions to Emotiva in an email (sales@emotivaaudio.com). You can also download the manuals in pdf from their support area.

BTW, I own the Emotiva LPA-1 and find it to be excellent and an extremely good value. Running 5 channels off it (subs drivers have separate amps) it has barely gotten warm to the touch. My approval of it led me to buy the BPA-1 when I needed a small amp.
                          Dan N.

Comment

• OTMOPO3OK
                            • Dec 2007

Dan, thank you very much for your quick and informative response. Exactly what I needed to hear. :T

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

...I'm not sure I would go with 6 of those over the Emotiva 6 channel amp thats like 449 bucks. Thats a sweet amp for the money and I would be hard pressed to choose anything thats just slightly more expensive.
                              Welcome to Emotiva Audio Corporation. Home Audio Systems, Speakers & Accessories and more. We use science to evoke the true emotion behind every note.

Comment

• OTMOPO3OK
                                • Dec 2007

I agree with you Dougie085,
                                but in my circumstances i absolutely need per-channel gain adjustment and LPA1 doesn't have that critical feature (requiring pre-amp).

Most 6-12 ch amps on the market have gain adjustment on the back but they cost 900-2000$.
                                BPA-1s give me a nice front knob adjustment and modular approach for much less $$$.

If you know of a 6-8 ch amp that has knobs on the front please share since that would the ticket for me.

Plus most of these amps have 30-60W per ch, while BPA-1 has 75W.
                                I've read up on Dayton vs Emotiva and even though I like how Dayton looks better, Emo is less exp. right now.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"