X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin R.
    • Nov 2007

looking for speaker advice with DIY or stock cabinets

Hello , I joined this forum after reading some of the interesting posts and am asking for help in the realm of advice in upgrading my speakers for the living room within my budget . Any advice. tips , thoughts or comments would be definitely appreciated .I have my Television hooked up to my amp but don't use it that much to be honest . I'm guessing the speakers would have to be shielded as they are on each side of the TV stand .Our living room is 15 foot square by 8 feet ceilings and opens up to a hallway and the dining room. I currently have a turntable / CD playing setup with a Jolida 302 tube amp . My speaker stands are only about 6 feet apart because of an entrance to a hallway on that wall and are across from the listening spot . They are 23" tall and 11" X 17" on top . I'd probably rather stay with bookshelf size on the stand as opposed to the skinny towers so prevalent these days . Our grandaughter is 2 and a half and still in the acrobatic and bumbling around stage of activity .Our house is fairly small . My speaker budget is about $500 and so far for starters I was looking at the Dayton DIY cabinets , the Polk Audio M80 , Cambridge Model Six , the Cygnet kits at Madisound and the Bose 301 due to their rectangular shape configuration . The speaker on the left is in the corner of the room . The cold air return is on the wall I'd rather use so I can't block it with the A/V stuff or I'd use it instead.Due to the tube amp and mostly music listening use I'm thinking it probably would have to be a pretty efficient speaker without being too bright.

thanks

Kevin R.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Dyslexics like myself find unformated text very problematic to comprehend.....

You might find this recent thread about tube amps and the speakers designed on this forum an interesting read.

Hi all, After listening for some months to my latest two designs, I've reached a conclusion... I don't know if its wrong, but it certainly seems to match what I've observed. I've noticed I'm always trying to make speakers as sensitive as possible. Due to this fact, my designs always hover around 4 Ohm. Whenever working
    Last edited by theSven; 15 August 2023, 19:00 Tuesday. Reason: Update htguide url

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"