X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin Haskins
    • Jan 2005

Subs In Stock

Hey... figured I'd drop the word. If you guys think this is shameless advertising (kind of) then feel free to zap me. A lot of people have been asking about the replacements for the XJ-12 & XJ-15 though so I thought I'd provide a self-serving public announcement.

I've posted preliminary spec's. I reserve the right to massage them once I get a good sample of measurements from the production run.

I don't have the Shiva-X (the 12" model) up yet but the 15" is ready for action. Hopefully I'll get the Shiva-X up tomorrow.

Tempest-X pdf

Edit by mod to make link 'legal'....
    Last edited by ThomasW; 30 October 2007, 21:51 Tuesday.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Wow! $175 is a sweet price Kevin.... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• littlesaint
      • Jul 2007

Is there a big difference between this and the previous XJ-15? I have 2 XJ-15s, and I'm thinking I'm going to need two more drivers for my IB.
      Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

Very nice stuff indeed! I'd love to see some measurement data on these suckers. Nice open basket and a great pedigree - how high could they go OB?

I was pricing out stuff for my (hopeful) HT upgrade the other day and was disappointed to see NO 15's on your site. Glad to see them back.

C
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by littlesaint
          Is there a big difference between this and the previous XJ-15? I have 2 XJ-15s, and I'm thinking I'm going to need two more drivers for my IB.
          Here are the specs for the OLDER discontinued version

Re: 3.95 ohm
          Qts: 0.578
          Qes: 0.673
          Qms: 4.095
          Fs: 24.5hz
          mms: 130g
          cms: .300mm/N
          BL: 11
          Vas: 284L
          Last edited by ThomasW; 31 October 2007, 11:46 Wednesday.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
            • Jan 2005

If you dig into that PDF you will find some T/S parameters. They may change a little, but not much. Usually I find the Cms goes up about 10% with break-in which will lower the Qts & Fs a little. They should model pretty much the same as the production specs. Maybe a db off here or there.

The goal is to have these in stock for good. Both the Tempest-X & Shiva-X will be permanent products, with little change as the years go by. I'll try to keep inventory such that they are always in stock but that may be a challange early in the game.

These are looking pretty good in about 8-9 ft^3 ported to 16-17Hz. Sealed, you can go pretty small. They should work in the PE Titanic kit cabinet. Its the same basket so the driver will drop right in place. The only thing I've not checked is the depth. Our motor is deeper than the stock Titanic so you may need to deal with a brace clearance issue. PE will sell the kit without the driver though for about $500, including the 1000W amp.

For around $700 you could have one hell of a finished sealed sub that would take all of a half an hour to build. With a Woofer Widget on it that becomes one incredible package.

Comment

• coctostan
              • Nov 2006

I have been planning on 4 of the Dayton RS 15" HOs in 2 boxes with opposing drivers. These XJ-15s are intriguing since they are similar in price. When I model them in Unibox, they seem to require huge sealed boxes.

I also noticed that I get very different results when I change the "Drive Unit Configuration" settings in Unibox. Which setting is correct for my opposing unit setup? I would like to model this correctly so I can make a decision.

Thanks

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by coctostan
                I have been planning on 4 of the Dayton RS 15" HOs in 2 boxes with opposing drivers. These XJ-15s are intriguing since they are similar in price. When I model them in Unibox, they seem to require huge sealed boxes.

I also noticed that I get very different results when I change the "Drive Unit Configuration" settings in Unibox. Which setting is correct for my opposing unit setup? I would like to model this correctly so I can make a decision.

Thanks
                First, stop using Unibox. ;-) Let me know the boxes you want to aim for and I'll quickly give you a design.

The XJ-15 parameters Thomas listed above ARE NOT valid. Those drivers are gone and yes, they required a large box.

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by littlesaint
                  In an IB there will probably be little difference. The roll-off will be different but not by much. I'd have to model both but I don't think your going to have a problem. The room issues will dominate any differences.

Comment

• AJINFLA
                    • Mar 2005

Does anyone know where to get counseling for an incessant urge to buy more drivers, when one already has a house full, not to mention eight thousand unfinished projects with the said drivers?
                    I might be asking in the wrong place.

cheers,

AJ
                    Manufacturer

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by AJINFLA
                      Does anyone know where to get counseling for an incessant urge to buy more drivers, when one already has a house full, not to mention eight thousand unfinished projects with the said drivers?

cheers,

AJ
                      Yea... your asking a bunch of alcoholics how to stop drinking. Not going to get much good advice here.

Comment

• crazybastard
                        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by AJINFLA

cheers,

AJ

HaHa...join the club....I have over 50 assorted drivers (hidden from my wife) in the basement :P

Comment

• Dennis H
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Aug 2002

Dang, that's a nice set of specs for a 15". I especially like the low Le/Re -- about the same as the 12" Dayton RS and better than the 15" Dayton RS. You should be able to cross them pretty high unless cone breakup is a problem. The low Mms would also be nice for OB or IB use -- less vibration.

Operational Specifications: With Voice coils in parallel.
                          Re: 3.6 Ohms
                          Le: 0.49mH
                          Fs: 18.5 Hz
                          Qms: 2.86
                          Qes: .50
                          Qts: .42
                          Mms: 165g
                          Cms: 0.45 mm/N
                          Vas: 394L
                          Sd: 791 cm^2
                          Vd: 4.27L
                          BL: 11.8
                          X-Max: 27mm
                          Pmax: 600W
                          SPL: 88.8

Comment

• chasw98
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Dennis H
                            Dang, that's a nice set of specs for a 15". I especially like the low Le/Re -- about the same as the 12" Dayton RS and better than the 15" Dayton RS. You should be able to cross them pretty high unless cone breakup is a problem. The low Mms would also be nice for OB or IB use -- less vibration.
                            I'm thinking a pair of these in an Arvo setup (one per side) might give a little more oomph to the bottom end if the baffle width will work.

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by chasw98
                              I'm thinking a pair of these in an Arvo setup (one per side) might give a little more oomph to the bottom end if the baffle width will work.
                              Unless you're running out of excursion with your current pair of RS315, I doubt that using these will make a difference since you're running a sub.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• chasw98
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                Unless you're running out of excursion with your current pair of RS315, I doubt that using these will make a difference since you're running a sub.
                                Refer to AJINFLA's post is the only reason I am mentioning it. And there is something I don't like about running an OB with a tube sub. mutter, mutter.....

Comment

• ThomasW
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Why are you using a tube sub, are these in a different room than your IB (the world best match for OB speakers... ) ?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• chasw98
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jan 2006

I am testing in the same room as the IB, but it is a PITA to adjust the IB to the Arvo's. And the Arvo's will probably become the bedroom system, although I am leaning heavily towards leaving them in the LR. I am still playing mad scientist and tweaking, listening, building, constructing, etc.

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                                      • Jan 2005

I put the Shiva-X up today. Pre-production parameters are on the PDF. I will get production ones later next week.

Shiva-X pdf
                                      Last edited by ThomasW; 01 November 2007, 00:44 Thursday.

Comment

• Finleyville
                                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Kevin Haskins
                                        Yea... your asking a bunch of alcoholics how to stop drinking. Not going to get much good advice here.

I'm not an alcoholic, I'm a drunk. Alcoholics attend meetings. :B
                                        BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
                                          • May 2006

Originally posted by Finleyville
                                          I'm not an alcoholic, I'm a drunk. Alcoholics attend meetings. :B
                                          Funny thing is I have that same shirt

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                                            • Jan 2005

I put up some pricing on mulit-driver purchases. This discounts the drivers for IB installs when your ordering 2, 4 or even 8 drivers.

The 2-Pack price for the Tempest-X $165 each Price per liter of displacement = $38.37

The 4-Pack price for the Tempest-X $155 each Price per liter of displacement = $36.05

The 8-Pack price for the Tempest-X $150 each Price per liter of displacement = $34.88

I don't have a 8-Pack simply because the UPS software that interfaces with my shopping cart doesn't have a way of recognizing that I'm shipping each as an individual box. The weight for 8 Tempest-X is over the 200lb limit. Just order two 4-Packs and I'll adjust the price to $150 per Tempest-X in 8 driver orders.

Tempest-X 2 pk

Tempest-X 4pk

The 2-Pack Price of the Shiva-X $155 each

The 4-Pack Price of the Shiva-X $150 each

The 8-Pack Price of the Shiva-X $145 each

This type of pricing should firmly put the Shiva-X & Tempest-X ahead of competing offerings on a cost per displacement ratio. That also ignores the fact that we are using the XBL^2 motors which should translate to lower distortion, less Le, and overall better sound quality.

Comment

• dawaro
                                              • Feb 2005

First, stop using Unibox. ;-)
                                              What is wrong with using Unibox?
                                              I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                                                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by dawaro
                                                What is wrong with using Unibox?
                                                Probably nothing... I've never used it. I was thinking of WINISD when I made the statement. The freeware version of that software would give erroneous results.

Comment

• cjd
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Dec 2004

Unibox is pretty powerful and generally (at least, in my experience) quite accurate. I agree with your assessment of the freeware WinISD

I suspect you're going to be finding an order from me in the distant future. Screen and anamorphic lens are the first project (new curved screen to go with the lens). Add some new cabinetry and room treatments to make it more "theater" like, and then I'll be to updating the sound system. Speakers, new amp, more headroom on the sub (I bottomed the dual 15's again this weekend). New projector (1080p finally) and perhaps by then we'll have a sensible solution for new source machine.

Should be fun.

4 of these might do OK in a 1500 cubic foot room you think? Or would I need 8...

C

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                                                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by cjd
                                                    Unibox is pretty powerful and generally (at least, in my experience) quite accurate. I agree with your assessment of the freeware WinISD

I suspect you're going to be finding an order from me in the distant future. Screen and anamorphic lens are the first project (new curved screen to go with the lens). Add some new cabinetry and room treatments to make it more "theater" like, and then I'll be to updating the sound system. Speakers, new amp, more headroom on the sub (I bottomed the dual 15's again this weekend). New projector (1080p finally) and perhaps by then we'll have a sensible solution for new source machine.

Should be fun.

4 of these might do OK in a 1500 cubic foot room you think? Or would I need 8...

C
                                                    Oh... you would need at least 8, maybe 16 of them. :B

I'm just kidding... if your bottoming two 15"s now the move to four should do the trick. You may want to just add a subsonic filter if you don't have one. That may keep the current subs from going "bang".

The Widget will be a good solution because you would get room measurement, PEQ and the subsonic filter, perhaps negating the need to upgrade subs.

Comment

• cjd
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Dec 2004

No, subsonic content is one of my system requirements. There's a filter, I was just... enthusiastic with the dial. That said, I would guess it was content above 20Hz. Even two of the Tempest-X would double my available headroom. I'll also be testing out the H@lf somewhere in here.

I'm hoping I feel up to working on the anamorphic lens box this weekend. Have to set up a sled and projector mount with it. While I have the saw out maybe I should think about doing the baseboard molding I've been leaving off...

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                                                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by cjd
                                                        No, subsonic content is one of my system requirements. There's a filter, I was just... enthusiastic with the dial. That said, I would guess it was content above 20Hz. Even two of the Tempest-X would double my available headroom. I'll also be testing out the H@lf somewhere in here.

I'm hoping I feel up to working on the anamorphic lens box this weekend. Have to set up a sled and projector mount with it. While I have the saw out maybe I should think about doing the baseboard molding I've been leaving off...
                                                        I've got two rooms of that baseboard molding that has been undone for 2-3 months. The wife is loosing her patience with it so I better get it done this weekend.

This year alone I've put a new roof on the house, painted the entire interior, put hardwood & tile on the entire main floor, re-trenched a french drain around the uphill side of our house, dug curtain drains by hand and replaced sinks & fixtures in two bathrooms.

I feel like I should be on one of those home improvement programs.

Comment

• ---k---
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Nov 2005

The wife is loosing her patience with it so I better get it done this weekend.
                                                          They need to form a club with an online forum where they spend their days complaining and leave us alone!
                                                          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                                          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                                          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• cjd
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Dec 2004

try 2-3 *years*

I kid you not.

Actually, there's baseboard, just no half-round. But my intent was to tear out the baseboard and put in something nicer looking. Problem with that is it really means I should tear out the window sills. And I have problems when I go through the hall to the living room, perhaps. Total mismatch in molding at that point. Workable I think, though.

Ryan: I don't know if there is complaining, but my wife's forums are all about knitting.

C

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                                                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
                                                              They need to form a club with an online forum where they spend their days complaining and leave us alone!

For some reason that doesn't give her as much satisfaction.

Have you checked out forums the chicks go to? They DO complain about their husbands. That hasn't seemed to satisfy her though.

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                                                                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by cjd
                                                                try 2-3 *years*

I kid you not.

C
                                                                Man... your making me feel like a hero.

Comment

• cjd
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • Dec 2004

Man... your making me feel like a hero.
                                                                  ooh! Discount?!

Comment

• PMazz
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2001

Kevin,
                                                                    Is that price you quoted me reflect these prices? Seems a lot for shipping.

Pete
                                                                    Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by PMazz
                                                                      Kevin,
                                                                      Is that price you quoted me reflect these prices? Seems a lot for shipping.

Pete

You have mail. The price I quoted you was before I came up with the discount plan. Go to my web site, put the drivers in your shopping cart and checkout. It will give you an exact shipping price and you don't have to commit to the purchase.

Comment

• dawaro
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by cjd
                                                                        try 2-3 *years*

I kid you not.

Actually, there's baseboard, just no half-round. But my intent was to tear out the baseboard and put in something nicer looking. Problem with that is it really means I should tear out the window sills. And I have problems when I go through the hall to the living room, perhaps. Total mismatch in molding at that point. Workable I think, though.

Ryan: I don't know if there is complaining, but my wife's forums are all about knitting.

C
                                                                        This is an example of the 5 most dangerous words in home repair, "While we are at it..."
                                                                        I have been going through the same thing. If I am going to replace this then I might as well do this while I am here. Mine started out with new floors and quickly expanded...
                                                                        I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts

Comment

• cjd
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • Dec 2004
                                                                          • 5568

Yeah, I installed flooring (bamboo), a new door-frame for the patio doors (it is a combo frame/housing for the shades), and had to bump out one wall because I had a cabinet I was going to install into it, only to discover a beam hiding in the middle when we tore into it fully. So, a few things. And white doesn't look as good as a nice stained oak. So, it'll be stained oak. 5 16' moldings should do the trick, plus a 4' 1x4 and 4 16' half-rounds. It'll be squared corner install so no miserable coping to deal with either. Almost all inside corners. Shouldn't be bad, really.

Comment

• crazybastard
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Oct 2007
                                                                            • 43

Hi Kevin. You have so much experience with subs. Just wondering what you think of the ripols linked below, and if your 15" subs will do well in such a config?

thanks.

link

Comment

• Beau
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Apr 2005
                                                                              • 74

#39
                                                                              Hi Kev, any idea on what shipping would be worth to Queensland Australia on a 2 pack Tempest-X?

Thanks Beau

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jan 2005
                                                                                • 226

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by crazybastard
                                                                                Hi Kevin. You have so much experience with subs. Just wondering what you think of the ripols linked below, and if your 15" subs will do well in such a config?

thanks.

link
                                                                                Don't have a clue. What is that thing? I'm language handicapped with only English.

In terms of dipoles, I have a 10" driver arriving with the Tempest-X & Shiva-X that was designed specifically for dipole use. I'll release more information on it later this week. I had an application planned for it in a finished loudspeaker but I'll sell the raw driver also.

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jan 2005
                                                                                  • 226

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by Beau
                                                                                  Hi Kev, any idea on what shipping would be worth to Queensland Australia on a 2 pack Tempest-X?

Thanks Beau
                                                                                  I can check tomorrow but it will probably be as much as the cost of the driver. I sent a couple XJ-15s to Oz and that was about how it worked out.

Comment

• warnerwh
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jan 2006
                                                                                    • 261

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by ---k---
                                                                                    You're right. They should have a forum called "Women's Problems" . They'll be fighting for the right to have the most problems on the forum. :rofl:

I will only allow a project every 6-8 months. It's interesting as she'll ask "Honey, would you help me with the dining room?" Help=I do 90%

Comment

• spentit
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Nov 2007
                                                                                      • 22

#43
                                                                                      Kevin,

Do you have the application notes available for the Shiva-X, as you do for the Tempest?

Could you also point me in the right direction to the Woofer Widget, couldn't find it on your website.

I live 10 minutes from the US boarder (Canadian side), as such I have things shipped to the US side and drive over to pick them up. If I do this do you still have to charge me the WA state tax? Some companies do, others don't.

Thanks.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Aug 2000
                                                                                        • 10934

#44
                                                                                        Woofer Widget

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jan 2005
                                                                                          • 226

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by spentit
                                                                                          Kevin,

Do you have the application notes available for the Shiva-X, as you do for the Tempest?

Could you also point me in the right direction to the Woofer Widget, couldn't find it on your website.

I live 10 minutes from the US boarder (Canadian side), as such I have things shipped to the US side and drive over to pick them up. If I do this do you still have to charge me the WA state tax? Some companies do, others don't.

Thanks.
                                                                                          Not yet.... I was working on them this weekend but we got hit with a monster wind storm that did a lot of damage at the homestead.

I was tarping a roof and cleaning up storm damage most of the day. I'll get the Shiva stuff done later this week.

If I send something to a WA state address I have to charge sales tax. Companies who don't collect it are just stupid. If they get an audit by the state they will be paying fines out the wazoo. The WA State Department of Revenue is hard core, they don't mess around.

If you have specific questions like this its usually best to email me direct because I don't check the forums always on a regular basis. I also loose track of threads so I won't always see a question posted.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"