X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • natfin
    • Sep 2006

first time build HM170C0-810921 MTM need help

Hello all,

This is my first post. I've been reading and researching for awhile and hope someone will be interested in this.

I have four Audax HM170C0 6.5" drivers that I'd like to turn into a vented MTM with the peerless HDS 810921 Tweeter. I am thinking around 2K for the crossover, I was thinking a 4th order L-R filter for both the low and high pass in parallel.

The boxes are built. I oversized a little for adjustment later. Internal volume is about 30L. The baffle is 9 1/4" W x 21 7/8" H. Tweeter is located 11 1/2" from bottom of baffle and centered between the edges. The ports are 2 5"x2" pvc per box. These will have to be adjusted as well.

I originally had Madisound do a LEAP design but that turned out very bad. It had a serious dip at 2.8K, the crossover section. Also the tweeter was about 8db down from the level of the wooofers. Plus they sounded terrible. I don't have my measurements from that assembly otherwise I would post them.

I've posted some FR and IMP measurements of the drivers on the baffle.

One of the caveats for me in this process is that I am using a mac. I have virtual PC running Windows 2000 and am able to use software like Speaker Workshop and Spl tools and what not but I haven't been able to make an accurate trace of the impedance of the drivers using SPL Trace. The ohm scale is always not accurate no matter which scale I set in the Tracing options and hence I am unable to produce usefull .zma files. I am able to export .frd for the drviers from Fuzzmeasure, but it does not have an ablility to export zma files. I guess I am asking for help in where to go from here. I would love to be able to model the crossover myself but I can't get the correct .zma files that would be needed in a program like Speaker Workshop. I could go ahead with pencil and paper and a couple of years but it would be nice to some optimization before I start buying parts.

If anyone has some suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Please pardon such a long post. I have been a reader of the forum for greater that a year now and I'm ready to go out on a limb and start designing for myself-diy style.

Nathan
    Attached Files
  • natfin
    • Sep 2006

TS and internal box dimensions so far

Hello again,

I just wanted to post some TS and box dimensions to go along with my original post.

HM170C0 impedance mounted in baffle
    TS

6.9 DC Resistance
    Fs= 47.1
    Qms= 7.832
    Qes= 0.334
    Qts= 0.320
    Res= 168.771
    Le= 0.013
    n= 0.686

VAS= give or take= 26.7

Box Internal Dimensions 30.06 L 1834.175 cu in
    Height: 20 3/4" Width: 7 3/4" Depth: 11 1/2"
    this is as close as I could get to golden ratio for box dimensions.

I would post the sketch up file of the layout but I lost those diagrams with a hard drive crash over the summer
    -Nathan\

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Unfortunately there are some situations where one needs the ability to run native Windows XP and the programs associated with it.

If you can post a schematic of the Madisound crossover. Might be a good idea to see if it can be reworked.

What were the conditions of the measurements? Distance of mic to speaker?, distance of speaker to boundries, gating?, etc.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• natfin
        • Sep 2006

Hi there,

The conditions are not ideal. Measuring in my room / listening space.
        Mic ECM 8000. 32" inches from center of the driver that is being measured on the baffle. 6ms window from the beginning of the impulse viewed in Fuzzmeasure.
        Attached Files

Comment

• natfin
          • Sep 2006

Oh, the baffles are hanging from a ceiling fan in the middle of the room. There nearest reflection would have to be from that which is about 3 1/2' from the top of the suspended baffle. The nearest wall is about 7' away.
          I could take them outside but that is a bit difficult, plus the city is not always so quiet.

Nathan

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

I'm pretty sure Fuzzmeasure is capable of doing the required measurements - At any rate, I thought Jon had used that for some work. Perhaps not, and my memory is incorrect.

C
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• natfin
              • Sep 2006

Fuzzmeasure seems to working for me, but I guess I'm a little confused about how to calculate values for the MTM set up. Do I need to divide by 2 whatever results I get from an equation-ie. an impedance compensation. For example:
              C=Le/Rc^2 then divide by two? Or should I just wire the drivers in parallel and make some impedance measurements as if they were one driver?

Comment

• cjd
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Dec 2004

Yeah, wire 'em up, measure in-baffle. If you set everything up and measure both the tweeter and the mid-woofers without moving a thing (at 1-2M) you have time delay and the rest pretty much all rolled up in your measurements.

Calculating values would be based on the net impedance/inductance. Crossover values would be similarly based on the impedance at (and around) the crossover point. Which isn't flat (though a zobel sure helps that).
                diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• natfin
                  • Sep 2006

That's what I was hoping. That I could measure in baffle and go from those measurements based on the logic that this is what the circuit sees. I've put a zobel on the mid-woofs measured imp and seems that so far it flattens the rising impedance. 20uf-4.7ohm. It's a start anyway. I'm going to try a 4th LR at 2k- see what happens.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"