X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crazybastard
    • Oct 2007

Help crazybastard build speakers

I'm ready to experiment with my first true OB speakers. I'm not a scientist so I'll do the 'by ear' with the help of a basic RTA. Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. My goals: a large, good sounding, efficient full range open baffle. I will build a large sub for under 50hz later.

Heres what I have so far: one pair of Radian 5212 coaxials. Can't find any other parameters on them. The 12" woofer/mid is around 95db/watt and the tweeter is around 106db/watt from what I've been told. I'm mounting it on a 20" wide baffle. On a test baffle 20" wide with a single cap on the tweeter at 2000hz, it sounds reasonably ok. Not a bad start. Low end leaves a bit to be desired though.

Here's what's coming: 4 Selenium 18sws1100 from parts express. Back ordered, but should be here in a couple of weeks. I plan to use 2 per side, wired in parallel. Crossed below 250hz. These woofers are 97db/watt each.

Can I have some opinions regarding this set up? Will the woofers overwhelm the mids since 2 in parallel will yield around 106db/watt? Is there a better set of 18" woofers that may work better? I want to stick with 18" for the 'crazy' effect, and prefer pro drivers due to my goals of high effeciency.

I do also have the option of using a different set of mid/highs as well. I'm thinking of using a selenium 18ws600 full range. The frequency response is real flat with a natural roll off at 2500, then use a bms compression driver for above 2500hz.

I like selenium drivers because....they have a nice basket. Crazy logic I know. But their specs seems reasonable, and since this is open in the back, I want something other than plain black drivers.

All help appreciated. If this project sounds crazy or plain stupid....look at the name 8O
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

I'm curious. You're working with drivers YOU don't even have all the specs for. You're working without much by way of measurements. You're looking for "a large, good sounding, efficient full range open baffle" - large is easy to hit, you're there I think. Efficient you're possibly going to hit by using large and efficient drivers. Good sounding? It starts with driver selection and ends with crossover implementation.

Best of luck, and have fun with it. But I do wonder, what kind of help can we lend? Our ears aren't there, and you're starting off with a lack of data so we can't really even help there (unless someone happens to find it).
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• joecarrow
      • Apr 2005

I think the only hope of something like this working out well without impedance measurements and baffle diffraction simulations would be the use of a DCX2496 or similar as crossover. In this case, you're free to do a LOT of trial and error without building a lot of things. Since they're pro drivers and very efficient, you can get away with really low power (maybe T-amps, or similar).
      -Joe Carrow

Comment

• crazybastard
        • Oct 2007

Thanks CJD. The Radians were given to me used. I looked at the crossover that came with it. Seems like a 2nd order at ~1500, and some attenuation of the HF driver. Do you think the 2 18" will work OK? I'll proably use a plate amp and boost the low end a bit.

Comment

• crazybastard
          • Oct 2007

Thanks Joe. I'll probably pick up the dcx2496 at some point. Is there a way to simply simulate baffle diffraction? I figure it's pretty hard w/o t/s for the radians.

btw, I have a stupid question. I was at the RMAF and noticed that most speakers sound remarkably similar. If they all do 20-20k +/-3, they all sound the same right? I mean it doesn't matter if it's metal or ceramic driver since a 1K signal is the same not matter which driver is making the sound?

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by crazybastard
            btw, I have a stupid question. I was at the RMAF and noticed that most speakers sound remarkably similar. If they all do 20-20k +/-3, they all sound the same right?
            They all tended sounded the same there (mostly bad) due to the terrible room acoustics
            I mean it doesn't matter if it's metal or ceramic driver since a 1K signal is the same not matter which driver is making the sound?
            This is analogous to saying all V-8 engines perform the same, nope...

Different materials make for different sounding drivers.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• cjd
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Dec 2004

Distortion in the driver(s) (or elsewhere in the playback chain - see tube amps) can dramatically change how 'flat" sounds. Distortion comes in many flavors, and really it includes room interaction.

Comment

• crazybastard
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by ThomasW
                They all tended sounded the same there (mostly bad) due to the terrible room acoustics
                This is analogous to saying all V-8 engines perform the same, nope...

Different materials make for different sounding drivers.
                I'm not sure how a 1k tone will sound different. Discounting distortion, noise, etc. Looking a pure physics, why would this sound different on different driver? If you put a mic in front of a driver, and it measures 1k, then this signal should be the same not matter if it comes from an 18" woofer or a 1" tweeter? 60 miles an hours is the same in a Honda or a BMW right?

Comment

• cjd
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Dec 2004

Discounting distortion, noise, etc. Looking a pure physics, why would this sound different on different driver?
                  Well, when you specifically eliminate the reasons it would sound different...

Though dispersion will be different for a 1k tone from a 1" tweeter and an 18" driver.

Comment

• crazybastard
                    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by cjd
                    Well, when you specifically eliminate the reasons it would sound different...

Though dispersion will be different for a 1k tone from a 1" tweeter and an 18" driver.
                    Am I correct in saying that if a perfect speaker does 20-20 flat, then that's the holy grail of speaker design? All good speakers should then sound the same if you sit right in front of them? The fact that there are differences in sounds refect the effects of distortion, differences in amplitude of the driver at different volumes? The most 'different' sounding speaker that I heard were the MBLs. Maybe I'm used to hearing vocals coming out of a singer's mouth directed towards me. I though I didn't like the sound of the MBL because it's freaky because of the 360 degree dispersion - makes it seem like the singer's voice came out the back of her head!? But in reality just different room interaction? Or perhaps there were lots of distortion? Does that mean a good sounding speaker have harmonic rather than disruptive distortion?

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

I'm not sure how a 1k tone will sound different. Discounting distortion, noise, etc. Looking a pure physics,
                      We're talking pure physics here (but not operating in a vacuum.... ) and that's why different materials sound different.

The behavior of the materials reproducing the sound 'colors' the sound.

A 1kHz tone from a planar doesn't 'sound' like a 2" metal dome midrange

Am I correct in saying that if a perfect speaker does 20-20 flat, then that's the holy grail of speaker design?
                      No that's but one aspect of loudspeaker design.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• crazybastard
                        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by ThomasW
                        We're talking pure physics here (but not operating in a vacuum.... ) and that's why different materials sound different.

The behavior of the materials reproducing the sound 'colors' the sound.

A 1kHz tone from a planar doesn't 'sound' like a 2" metal dome midrange

No that's but one aspect of loudspeaker design.
                        I think that John at zaph audio discribed the 'timber' in ribbon and planar as distortion. I kinda like this sound, makes music seem 'brighter'. Maybe this is 'harmonic' distortion, rather than the disruptive kind.

It's interesting how some manufacturer go about designing speakers. I talked with Tyler of Tyler Acoustic a couple of years ago. I liked the way his speakers sound in general. I recalled him saying that he basically have an idea of a cabinet/driver arrangement, then adjusts his crossover to compensate for what ever is severely wrong.

I might take this approach. Basically build the baffle, then play a pink tone and compensate for any sever peaks/dips?

Comment

• crazybastard
                          • Oct 2007

Found some info on the Radians.

link

Comment

• crazybastard
                            • Oct 2007

any thoughts about using this woofer as a 'fullrange' up to around 2.5k?

selenium woofer

Comment

• cjd
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Dec 2004

Why?

Comment

• Deward Hastings
                                • Dec 2006

That’s an interesting choice of drivers, enough out of the ordinary that you’re going to be pretty much on your own designing for them. The Selenium drivers, based on specs anyway, should do well up to 200 Hz, maybe a bit higher. If you mount them one facing forward and one to the rear the 2nd harmonic distortion will be considerably reduced and, again based on the specs, you’ll get plenty of low distortion output on the low end. The baffle is going to have to be rather large, though, and you’re going to have to come up with some creative way to keep the MT driver from being too high for normal seated listening (since it kinda hasta be above the two 18 inch Seleniums, which puts its center 4 feet high if they are stacked vertically). These will be large speakers . . .

The Radian driver raises other issues. One of the design goals/advantages of dipole mounting is relatively uniform polar pattern/power response. The Radian will control its own directivity from the point that the 12 inch driver starts beaming (well below 1000 Hz.). In general, in fact, it is the Radian that will control the “sound” of this proposed design . . . if you don’t like the way it sounds the whole design will fail, if you do like it then you will be able to make a complete speaker that you like. I’d listen to them for a while, either in boxes or on flat baffles, before going too much further . . .

Working out a crossover to handle dipole correction and driver integration is going to be your biggest challenge. I’ll second the vote for using a DCX2496 . . . there’s just not enough data to do an analytical design except in the broadest sense, and in any case you'll want to tune these for your specific listening room. You’ll have to do it by cut-and-try engineering. So you’ll need an easily programmable digital crossover, and a good set of measuring tools (mic, pre-amp, PC and measurement software).

There’s a lot of on-line literature available about dipole design . . . here in the various dipole threads, and especially at the linkwitzlab site, but your proposal is different enough that while the general guidance will apply the specific examples given will be rather different (which will challenge you to more fully understand what is being discussed). As you determine more specific design goals (and narrow the design to match) it will be easier to solicit advice . . . expect many of the replies to be in the form of “did you consider this?” rather than firm answers . . .

Good luck. If you follow through on this the next year or two will be quite the “learning experience” . . .

Comment

• crazybastard
                                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by cjd
                                  Why?
                                  increased efficiency of 3db over the radian woofers. Not very expensive either, if it is indeed an upgrade over the radians.

Thanks for the input Deward. I do like the radians other than the lack of bass, so adding the woofer should do some good. I'm curious to see how this will turn out. I'm sure much eq'ing will be needed. Ultimately though, I'd like to use passive crossovers for the mid/high, and use a plate amp for the woofers. It's going to be a large pair of speakers, that's for sure. I'll put the radians on a hinged baffle so it can tilt down a bit if necessary.

Hey Thomas. Is there a diy club in CO? I should could use some inputs locally.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2002

You're going to lose a lot of sensitivity in the dipole woofers after you build a filter to flatten the 6dB/octave dipole rolloff as well as the drivers' natural LF rolloff. Depending on how low you want them to play, you may lose something like 12-18dB from the woofers. So there's no need to look for more sensitive mid drivers -- you'll probably end up padding them down anyway to match the woofers.

Comment

• crazybastard
                                      • Oct 2007

Hi Dennis. Thanks for your input. I'll stick with the radians then. I'm hoping to get the woofers to play down to around 40hz. My subs can pick up from there. My baffle is going to be about 20-22" wide, at what freq. will they start to roll off? I'm going to have to do more reading, but the regular job and kids + lack of brain power makes it difficult. The Partexpress amp have a parametric eq, which should come in handy.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Hey Thomas. Is there a diy club in CO? I should could use some inputs locally.
                                        There's the Colo Audio Society... but it's not all that DIY oriented.

Things like the Iowa meeting have just been organized by regular guys interested in getting together. It might be a good idea to do this in Denver.

I used to have get-togethers at my house since it has two separate listening rooms. Unfortunately neither is large enough to accommodate more than a handful of people.

If someone has a church or similar organization affiliation (I don't) those are the best places to get a free hall/room.

Edit to add....

If you're interested in hearing the Emerald Physics CS2 loudspeakers, Clayton Shaw will be demoing them 11/17 at the Tweakgeek showroom in Arvada. Contact Tweakgeek.com for info.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• crazybastard
                                          • Oct 2007

I wish I can hear the CS2 again. Got to work that weekend. I'm sure I can find a place for diy here in Colorado Springs if there's enough interest. I don't know if anyone want to go all the way down here though.

Comment

• crazybastard
                                            • Oct 2007

Can some one advise how high up can I use this driver?

link

Comment

• Deward Hastings
                                              • Dec 2006

Still talking dipole, for music reproduction? I’d say 200 Hz. absolute max using an LR4 crossover, and that’s really pushing it. By 300 Hz. you’re seeing major cone breakup, so you want that well down the curve. While the distortion looks quite acceptable, even good, for below 200 Hz. above that it rises rather than falls, in a region where even moderately good drivers do far better.

The crossover point, wherever below 200 Hz. you put it, should be determined by the low frequency performance of the mid driver. Keep the signal on it as long as it is performing better than the Selenium. I’d target a crossover at maybe 120-150 Hz. if using those as the dipole woofer.

Comment

• crazybastard
                                                • Oct 2007

How can you tell that distortion goes up beyond 200? I'm looking at the manufacturer pdf file. seems to do well up to 2K. Is there something I'm overlooking?

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2000

Both the impedance curve and the frequency response start going to pot from 200Hz up.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Deward Hastings
                                                    • Dec 2006

Look at the 3rd harmonic curve, and how it jumps when the cone starts breaking up. And look at the scale. More than 40dB down is not bad distortion for a speaker at 100 Hz. Less than 40dB down is *terrible* at 1000. And the wild peaks and dips of the distortion curves suggest that it's not motor distortion being displayed, but cone breakup.

The concentric rings embossed in the cone are there to progressively decouple the outer portions of the cone as frequency goes up. Without them the cone surface would look like a wave tank with a family of frogs playing hop scotch in it. But they introduce their own problems as soon as the cone stops moving as a unit, and all the curves show where that starts happening.

Comment

• crazybastard
                                                      • Oct 2007

Thanks guys. Didn't realize that was a 100db scale! I'll get my glasses checked.
                                                      I'm looking at the ficaraudio.com q18 as well. Last time someone commented that due to high Le, they are not useful beyond 80hz. I don't see the Le on the manufacturers site. Is there a way to derive the Le? Will it be awful if I use it up to 200hz?

Since I'm going in circles with my woofer choice, would someone help me decide what to use with my radians? I wan to use 2 woofers per side
                                                      1. 2x 15" subs from Kevin
                                                      2. 2x 18" selenium sw1000 (these seem to have less distortion than the sw600)
                                                      3. 2x 18 ficaraudio q18
                                                      or any other woofers....I'm open to suggestion.

Thanks Thomas again for the info on the cs2 speakers. I heard them at the RMAF, and having read the specs on the components, I'm real inspired to do my own design. Seems like they use so-so components and eq the heck out of them....to very good effect.

Comment

Working...
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"