Sonic Impact T-Amps suitable for Modula MT?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fvoelling
    • Jul 2004

Sonic Impact T-Amps suitable for Modula MT?

Is one of these little guys a decent match for the Modula MT?

Any other recommendations for a low-budget amp (but good enough to appreciate the sound qualities of the Modula MT)? Used is ok as well.

Thx,
    Frank
  • joecarrow
    • Apr 2005

How close do you sit to the speakers, and how loud do you need to go? That amp is OK if you sit close and don't listen too loudly. The Module MTs are not terribly efficient- maybe 85 db/watt or so... I forget the exact figure. It's a single 7" metal cone woofer- what do can we expect?

50 watts would be sufficient for what I'd generally call "normal use", and I'd recommend at least 100 for anything moderately loud. The impedance of the Modula MT is 6 ohms and fairly flat- so other than having some decent watts, I'd say that just about anything can do well with them.

Personally, I use the Panasonic SA-XR55 with them, and I'm extremely satisfied with the sound quality and quantity. It's a 7.1 receiver that cost me around $250. It's a class D amp, so it runs cooler, weighs less, and uses less energy. The Modula MT is a good enough speaker that you'll actually hear a difference as you get progressively better amplification, but for my ears and lifestyle this receiver is A-OK.
    -Joe Carrow

Comment

• fvoelling
      • Jul 2004

Not sure yet, actually. Probably my office initially (close and not too loud), and later on family room or basement (farther and louder).

I've heard good things before about that Panasonic receiver. I wonder if there are 2-channel class D amps that are either less expensive yet, or better than the Panasonic receiver at a similar or higher price point.

Comment

• joecarrow
        • Apr 2005

Now that you mention it- Zaph recently blogged about this little guy:

It goes for $160, does 50 watts, and is supposed to have some competitive sound, especially for the price and the size. It should be more than sufficient if you don't need to get too loud.
        -Joe Carrow

Comment

• WillyD
          • Feb 2006

I have both the T-amp, a XR-55, and Modula MTs. I'd definitely recommend picking the XR-55 up. I saw one on Ebay.

Comment

• Jonasz
            • Nov 2004

I have a pair of W15/OW1 (82dB) that I use as pc-speakers and for that is the T-amp more than enough in my opinion. Are you using them as regular speakers are there better alternatives.

Comment

• fvoelling
              • Jul 2004

OK, I've done some more thinking and research and decided to spend a little more on the amp to do the Modula MT justice.

Here are my options:

- used Classe CA101 (100W/ch/8ohms) for $780
              - new Emotiva RPA-1 (200W/ch/8ohms) for $635
              - used Parasound HCA-1000A (125W/ch/8ohms) for $300
              - new Emotiva BPA-1 (75W/ch/4ohms) for $171

Has anybody here heard any of these amps and can give an opinion?

Thx,
              Frank

Comment

• TacoD
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2004

I would go for Classe or Parasound these have good value and the sound is proven.

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

We have a couple threads in this forum where people have posted their experiences with the Emotiva amps (do a search for those). And of course we have lots of posts in the main body of the regular forum with discussions about Classe' and Parasound.

Another option several people are using is the Behringer A500. For the money it's without doubt a best-bang-for-the-buck product.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• jdybnis
                    • Dec 2004

Parts Express carries a version of the Emotiva BPA1 that is a few bucks cheaper. I think it's identical inside, just no chrome parts on the outside. I just ordered one of them yesterday along with a pair of the new curved cabinets and the parts to build another pair of Modula MT's.

I'll probably have the Modula MT's assembled in a month. I'll post a subjective comparison between driving them with the BPA-1 and the A500.
                    -Josh

Comment

• riceaterslc
                      • Aug 2006

have you looked at outlaw audio stuff? i run M2200 monoblocks and couldn't be happier.
                      chris

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Where is the BPA1 on parts express? I think this is what your talking about

And actually its almost the same price Emotiva sells it for 159.

Comment

• fvoelling
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by riceaterslc
                          have you looked at outlaw audio stuff? i run M2200 monoblocks and couldn't be happier.
                          That's another option, almost exactly the same price as the Emotiva RPA-1 for 2 channels. More flexibility, not quite as visually appealing, don't know about differences in sound.

The smaller BPA-1 would probably do the trick, but the addition of either the RPA-1 or M2200 would provide me with a more powerful amplifier in my equipment repertoire, never know when that will come in handy.

I usually prefer the "warmer" sound of tube amps, does that favor any of these amps?

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

I don't think so as far as the tubey sound goes. Could add a Tube pre later if you can fork out the money That will give you the nice punch of solid state but the warmer midrange of tubes.

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

If one wants the 'sound' of tubes, a low cost tube buffer can be added almost anywhere before the power amp.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jun 2006

I'll be picking up a Little Dot T_150 hybrid amplifier (tube preamp, Tripath 150W amp). It's $499, and apparently it uses top-notch components.

Funny how things start. I thought I was going to buy a Super T-Amp, but nooooo....

Well, at least I assume this amp won't have any problems with low impedance loads, like my tube amps
                                Javier Huerta

Comment

• Hdale85
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2006

Is that the new price? Where did you find it?

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                    Is that the new price? Where did you find it?

They can ship to Canada or the US directly. The specs look quite nice.

Specs:

Output Power (continuous output)
                                    THD+N = 0.1%, RL = 4Ω 145W
                                    THD+N = 1%, RL = 4Ω 160W
                                    THD+N = 10%, RL = 4Ω 200W
                                    THD+N = 0.1%, RL = 6Ω 105W
                                    THD+N = 1%, RL = 6Ω 115W
                                    THD+N = 10%, RL = 6Ω 150W
                                    THD+N = 0.1%, RL = 8Ω 80W
                                    THD+N = 1%, RL = 8Ω 90W
                                    THD+N = 10%, RL = 8Ω 115W

THD + N Total Harmonic Distortion Plus Noise:
                                    POUT = 60W, RL = 8Ω 0.01 %

IHF-IM IHF Intermodulation Distortion 19kHz, 20kHz,
                                    1:1 (IHF), RL = 8Ω
                                    POUT = 25W/Channel: 0.03 %

SNR Signal-to-Noise Ratio A Weighted,
                                    RL = 4Ω,
                                    POUT = 200W/Channel: 104.4 dB

η Power Efficiency
                                    POUT = 115W/Channel, RL = 8Ω: 92 %

eNOUT Output Noise Voltage A-Weighted, input shorted
                                    RFBC = 10kΩ, RFBB = 1.1kΩ, and RFBA= 1.0kΩ: 170 μV
                                    Javier Huerta

Comment

• Hdale85
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2006

Wonder what shipping is like?

Thomas, How would you go about building a tube buffer to use inline?

Comment

• fvoelling
                                        • Jul 2004

Thanks for all the comments, guys!

I'm leaning towards the Emotiva RPA-1. I've read more than once in reputable audio mags that one of the hallmarks of a great amp is to double its 8ohm output at 4ohms. The RPA-1 doesn't quite get there, but 350W/4 and 200W/8 gets pretty close. And at $635 shipped right now it's a bargain.

Thomas, I'd also like to get more info on the tube buffer you mentioned.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by fvoelling
                                          Thomas, I'd also like to get more info on the tube buffer you mentioned.
                                          Sorry no specific tube equipment recommendations from me. 45yrs in this hobby and I've never owned any tube gear...

Just google 'audio tube buffer' or 'tube line stage' you find a ton of them.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"