X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vincehoffman
    • Oct 2004

Regluing a dust cap.

Hey Lads,

I lurk here and on Thomas' IB Forum on a regular basis and I've a dilemma which the rather knowledgable posters here seem qualified to answer.

I just dug out and fired up a pair of vintage mid-80's Meridian M30 active bookshelf speakers. They've been unused for a few years. Long story short, one of the mid-woofers buzzed on largish excursions. It turns out one of the plastic dust caps has come partially unglued from what appears to be a heavily doped woven cone. Suggestions as to what sort of glue is appropriate for tacking it back on would be highly appreciated.

Happy Trails!
    Vince@Freewheelcycle.com
  • RobP
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Vince

If you can find it, use a glue called ethyl Cyanoacrylate ester, basicly super glue, but thicker, it has a activator that is sprayed on once it is applied and the glue will harden instantly, the place I got mine from was recone.com, but I looked at the site and they do not mention selling the supplies anymore, you may give them a call. They also use to have a black rubberized glue that stays flexible, which is another option for that plastic dust cap.
    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Bent
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2003

You can pick up CA type glue at a hobby shop that deals with RC aircraft, the accelerator is available there too. I'd suggest "slow-ZAP CA", used in a room with approx 70 percent RH (CA uses moisture in the air to stabilize it's curing process, IIRC.

Be wary, CA creates fumes when curing - and guess what the C in CA means.
      It's actually not dangerous like cyanide is, but it does leave a white fume/powder residue, so be prepared to have a small white powdery substance that may/may not come off vary easy

Comment

• PoorboyMike
        • Oct 2005

I used THIS to attach a new dust cap to a 15" woofer. It doesn't look like anything fancy but it dries clear and has held up for a couple years now without a problem.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"