X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megamuel
    • Oct 2007

Beginner!

Hello all! (I just posted this but for some reason it didn't show up :M appologies if it pops up elsewhere!)

I am in need of some serious help! I have decided I need a new hobby because I seem to be spending my days off doing... Nothing, and as I have just bought some new hi fi equipment, I thought it would be really fun, rewarding and challenging to build my own speakers. Now here is the problem - I know absolutely nothing about audio, woodworking, electronics, accoustics and just about anything else thats important for this kind of project! But I aint gonna let a little thing like that get in the way!!! So where do I start? Does anyone know any good books? Ideally ones written for dummies like me? I would like to build a pair of 3 way floorstanding speakers for my room, I am very eager to get started because I know if I don't buy something soon I will just wimp out, on the other hand I don't want to buy a load of stuff then realise it can't be used together... I have been looking at drivers for a while now and I am quite drawn to the Dayton's... They seem to be well priced, thet look good, and most importantly they have good ratings... The three I am interested in are:

How do I know if these will work together or not?
    To a certain extent can any combination of drivers be used together as long as the crossover is right?
    Do they all have to have the same 'Ohms'?
    If they are all 8 Ohms does this mean the speaker will be 8 Ohms?
    How do I go about determining crossover points?

Well thats just some of my questions for now... Sorry I am so dumb! I am sure you guys know you need to start somewhere though! So come on then, who wants to be my mentor for my first projects?!?! Looking forward to some replies...

Sam Carson.
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

To get your feet wet, you'll find plenty of challenge in building an existing design where someone else has done all the hard measuring/math/simulating/testing/listening/refining. See the Missions Accomplished subforum. There are several good 3-ways there as well as a few in this forum that haven't quite reached 'accomplished' status yet.

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

You really should look at DA Khanspires (WMTMW) or the RS WTMW/TMWW 3-ways if you like that woofer/mid combo (the tweeter is way underselling the potential - if you want silk dome go Seas 27TDFC). I have the data to put together a Seas variant of DA Khanspire as well, if/when I get around to it.

C
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• chasw98
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Depending upn whether you have the tools and desire to build an enclosure, you might want to look into a project that uses 'pre built' cabinets. Then all you have to do is cutout for the drivers in the front and assemble the project.

Chuck

Comment

• megamuel
          • Oct 2007

I would like to built the enclosures, I have some tools and equipment but I am willing to purchase some new stuff. The main problem for me I think is going to be the crossovers because I know nothing about electronics. Where do I find the DA Khanspires?

Comment

• PoorboyMike
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by megamuel
            Where do I find the DA Khanspires?
            Click HERE

Comment

• megamuel
              • Oct 2007

So if I were to use the Dayton RS225S-8, and Dayton RS125S-8 combo with the Seas 27TDFC what would you suggest as crossover points?

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

They are saying its better for you to build something that is already designed as it takes measurement equipment and a lot of know how to design a crossover network for a speakers. Thats why someone suggest the DA Khanspire they use basically the drivers your looking at.

At least for your first project or two to get your feet wet.

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

It's difficult to explain to a n00b how complex it is to design a 'good' loudspeaker. So in the form of a example please read the first post in the Modula MT thread (link below). Then understand doing a 3-way is twice as hard.....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• megamuel
                    • Oct 2007

Ok, I'm sorry I do appologise for my stupidy! I was only asking because I was wondering if it was possible to use something like this:

I was going to see what you guys suggested for crossover frequencies and then see if there was a pre-assembled one that matched then make the cabinet with seperate compartments with the optimun volume for each driver...... BUT nevermind! Thanks anyway.

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Ignorance regarding a topic is not 'stupidity'.

If you want to build a good speaker, please consider one of the proven designs in the Missions Accomplished section of the forum. You can build one of them for almost the same cost as the components you've chosen. You'll have the benefit of a guarantee the design works well and a ton of support from the forum members that are knowledgeable regarding the design.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• cjd
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by megamuel
                        Ok, I'm sorry I do appologise for my stupidy! I was only asking because I was wondering if it was possible to use something like this:

I was going to see what you guys suggested for crossover frequencies and then see if there was a pre-assembled one that matched then make the cabinet with seperate compartments with the optimun volume for each driver...... BUT nevermind! Thanks anyway.
                        If you want good sound, it is not recommended you use a stock crossover like that. Particularly when you realize that not only do drivers have a changing impedance with frequency, they don't have the impedance the crossover is designed for in the first place.

If you are interested in a 3-way WMTMW with the RS225, RS150, and Seas27TDFC that's well within reach. Places like Madisound will even assemble a crossover for you at a nominal charge. The improvement in sound-quality gained going with the custom crossover will be tremendous.

To answer your question: 280Hz and 1950Hz 4th order.

And, I agree with Thomas. It's not stupidity (I would even hesitate to use "ignorance" since that has separate negative connotations) when it's a subject you know little-to-nothing about. Asking questions (and seeking answers) is how you stop lacking that knowledge, you know?

C
                        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"