X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Forte_II
    • May 2007

Madisound custom crossovers...

anyone have any experience with Madisound and there Custom LEAP designed x-overs? Do they do a good job Are they sonicly correct?
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Forte_II
    anyone have any experience with Madisound and there Custom LEAP designed x-overs? Do they do a good job Are they sonicly correct?

I don't think madisound measures the drivers in your baffle, and they don't use BSC, at least from what I've seen.

Meniscusaudio does fully optimized crossovers with measurements in your baffle design, and they can do BSC.

Comment

• subynube
      • Apr 2007

I have had XO's constructed by Madisound using the schematics designed on this website. They built my XO's using the Natalie P design. I know this is not exactly what you are asking for, but I can tell you that they are very professionally done on a circuit board. Hopefully this helps a little.

Comment

• Forte_II
        • May 2007

Thank you, How much did they charge you?

Comment

• Jed
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Apr 2005

meniscus charges a $1 per component to assemble- last I checked

Comment

• subynube
            • Apr 2007

They charged something like 20 bucks per XO to assemble if you buy all the components at Madisound. They wont assemble anything not purchased at Madisound.

Comment

• dawg1161
              • May 2006

How much were the crossovers built by Madisound for the Nat P's ?
              Thank You.

Comment

• subynube
                • Apr 2007

Well, dawg 1161, it has been a while. I believe it was something like $150.00 for parts, labor, shipping, for 2 XO's for the Nat P's. I used the good quality parts and didnt use the super expensive stuff.

Comment

• Forte_II
                  • May 2007

Thanks for the input. I checked out both sights. I already had Madisound do the Leap simulation. So I May have meniscus Do one and pick the one I want. Money well spent either way I think.

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2001

I've heard Madisound's version of the Thor crossover several years ago and I know that one of the engineers here bought the same xo from them. Neither one of us liked it. He was so displeased that he redesigned it from scratch. We did not get a chance to compare and contrast the original with his reworked version, but he said the original was so bad that he couldn't stand to listen to it. I did hear his version and it is quite nice. It sounded very similar to the MTM portion of my big Dayton RS 3-ways.

So I would feel much more confident in buying parts for one of the existing designs here from them than to order one of their designs.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, wasn't the Thor one of Joe D's designs?

Comment

• Forte_II
                      • May 2007

That is not good news. Well... I can always reeiw there design and post it here to get opinions. Thanks

Comment

• jimangie1973
                        • May 2007

You're never going to get an ideal crossover with a design based upon a simple computer simulation, even if you have in baffle measurements. Off-axis integration is extremely important. It takes a lot of listening time to figure out what problems exist. You fix the bigger problems first, then iterate until you have a design which just sounds right. This takes a lot of time which companies don't have.

I would suggest one of the proven designs here.

If you're willing to use an EQ like the DEQ2496, then the LEAP design strategy may work for you.

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

That is not good news. Well... I can always reeiw there design and post it here to get opinions. Thanks
                          You may but first you should check our pricing to optimize someone elses design..... :rofl:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Forte_II
                            • May 2007

I already have the speakers built: 2-way sealed MTM's. The box vol is 0.48cu. ft., 70% fill with acoustic foam. The Drivers are Vifa XT25TG30 04 (4ohm) tweeters and Vifa PL14WO 09 wired in parael for a 4ohm load.
                            I am useing my test rig to run them. The test rig consists of a behringer CX2310 2-way active x-over, 2 mono Nikko 1/3 octive EQ's and a couple of Samson pro amps, Acomp with a M-audio Delta 44 soundcard, True RTA level 3 and a Behringer 8000 mic. I Settled on a xover point at approx. 2150hz. I am very happy with the speakers setup this way. Now I need to translate the 24db L-R crossover at 2150 with the tweeters down 3db into a passive crossover.

If I wasn't blind I would just do the xovers myself . I am not afraid of a lot of trial and error. But doing something that tedious without being able to see the values is not something I want to do. Not to mention I can't solder. LOL
                            I am beginning to thimk I should have just asked you guys from the beginning. well the LEAP sim. will get me started. Perhaps it is time to get my son into this hobby! LOL

Comment

• Forte_II
                              • May 2007

I don't know how to take this... My screenreader doesn't do smileys or pics or anything that is not ASCII text for that matter. LOL Are you teasing me or...
                              Originally posted by ThomasW
                              You may but first you should check our pricing to optimize someone elses design..... :rofl:

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Nov 2001

Hey don't worry about it. Thomas isn't that funny even to those of us that can see! (and yes that is a joke!)

Comment

• Forte_II
                                  • May 2007

Ok, I thought so.

Comment

• cjd
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Dec 2004

Where are you located? If you're not operating on any specific timeline it is often possible to find members here local to you willing to help out (or, if you're shipping stuff around, even to take that up).

The emoticon ThomasW used is a little dude laughing so hard he's rolling around and slapping his knee (or ground or... something). In other words, Thomas thinks he said a funny. (most of us here work for free on this stuff...)

C
                                    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ThomasW
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

I don't know how to take this... My screenreader doesn't do smileys or pics or anything that is not ASCII text for that matter. LOL Are you teasing me or...
                                      [silly mode on] Humm let's see, do we have our price list posted? Nope don't see one .... ;^) [/silly mode off]

Originally posted by Brian Bunge
                                      Thomas isn't that funny even to those of us that can see!
                                      Come on Brian lighten up a little.... :roll:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• mazurek
                                        • Mar 2006

If you are able, why don't you see if the Behringer DCX software for the PC is screenreader compatible, you can download it here:

Or go to the Behringer website if the link doesn't work.

I think a digital crossover simulator would be enjoyable to play with if you can't solder the real thing.

Comment

• CBerg
                                          • Jul 2007

Interesting post from Subynube,

So if I understand that for those of us that want to do something like the Neo center with rs52 etc... that if we buy all the crossover components we can have them essentially do all the assembly.

Looking at potentially doing a set of 7 of these for full front and surround duty but what was slowing me down considerably was the thought of all the crossover assembly... for a set that large with all components wonder if they would swing a deal...??? :B

Anybody interested in approaching them with a group buy?

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Nov 2001

Thomas,

I have lightened up a little; about 20 lbs. or so!

Thank you! Thank you! I'll be here all week!

(You know we love ya!)

Comment

• ThomasW
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by CBerg
                                              but what was slowing me down considerably was the thought of all the crossover assembly...
                                              The NeoD crossover is one of the most difficult XOs I've ever built. This is primarily a function of dealing with the issues created by the use of foil inductors. My suggestion is build a single speaker to start. Use it as your center. If you like the pain and suffering involved building 6 more go for it. Otherwise shift over and build the much easier Modula MTMs for the remaining channels.

In due time there will be a version of the NeoD using the RS180's. So a NeoD center built with the RS180s will be a good match for the Modula MTM's

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Forte_II
                                                • May 2007

Thanks for all the help so far. I already downloaded the Behringer software. It is a little fussy but I can play with it. Now I just have to save the money for one.
                                                I live in Northern Ca., Eureka. I would love to find other DIY guys here. No one I know is into this hobby.
                                                I havent been here long enough to get a feel for the humor yet. Some sites have some real *^$# on them. I am sure you all know what I mean. LOL
                                                jNot that I thought that of you Thomas, From what I have read here you are very helpful.

Comment

• cjd
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Dec 2004

Hey, as long as you're willing to ask rather than assume, you'll fit right in. Thomas doesn't have "curmudgeon in training" in his sig for nothing.

Northern CA, I'm sure there are folks out there. Maybe some will speak up.

I do UI for the web for a living and am constantly deriding the business folks when they ask for features that would make a site unusable with a screen-reader. It's a really different way of thinking about development but amazingly, focusing on accessibility (which goes beyond screen-readers by a long long shot) makes life even easier.

I'd be nervous having you build a system I'd designed too as I bet your ears are tuned pretty well!

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2000

Not that I thought that of you Thomas, From what I have read here you are very helpful.
                                                    Please, don't tell anyone, I have a reputation to maintain... ;^)

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Forte_II
                                                      • May 2007

Your secret is safe with me.

Comment

• CBerg
                                                        • Jul 2007

Thanks Thomas for the reply,

The Neo crossovers looked like a pain hence my thoughts of $ for assembly with premium parts (and lots of them) that Madisound might be willing to deal a little.

Seems like it would be well worth it in my eyes especially when looking at doing a bunch of these, time consuming....

I have a couple sealed original version Adire Maelstroms in 140L cabinets that I would be doing base bins with. IB sub in crawl space as a future. :W

I think I will do some cutting and pasting of the bom etc.. and see what Madisound says for $$.

Comment

• Forte_II
                                                          • May 2007

Thanks for the support. I wish all software was accessable. But I understand I am the minority. As for my hearing...Many years of loud music and concerts has probley made my hearing no better than any other persons. Although I am much more criticle than anyone I know when it comes to stereo's. One thing I notice is that the sound people prefer usualy doesnt resemble the real thing. live sounds of any kind seem to be more umm... raw than people like. So most speakers and recordings seem to give things a more refined and clean sound than the real thing.
                                                          Originally posted by cjd
                                                          Hey, as long as you're willing to ask rather than assume, you'll fit right in. Thomas doesn't have "curmudgeon in training" in his sig for nothing.

Northern CA, I'm sure there are folks out there. Maybe some will speak up.

I do UI for the web for a living and am constantly deriding the business folks when they ask for features that would make a site unusable with a screen-reader. It's a really different way of thinking about development but amazingly, focusing on accessibility (which goes beyond screen-readers by a long long shot) makes life even easier.

I'd be nervous having you build a system I'd designed too as I bet your ears are tuned pretty well!

Comment

• cjd
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Dec 2004

live sounds of any kind seem to be more umm... raw than people like. So most speakers and recordings seem to give things a more refined and clean sound than the real thing.
                                                            Very much so. Especially those female vocals. If I ever hear a live voice that's "silky smooth" I'll wonder what happened. But attention to this kind of thing is more what I meant with respect to your listening skills. More tuned instruments are your ears than most. Then again, most people with eyes don't know how to see either, so who knows. It's really wasted on them if you ask me. (I'm trained as a visual artist and have classical training as a musician from day zero no matter where you decide that starts).

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Aug 2002

Originally posted by cjd
                                                              More tuned instruments are your ears than most.
                                                              Yoda? Is that you?

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Nov 2001

Originally posted by Dennis H
                                                                Yoda? Is that you?
                                                                Dennis,

LOL!! I read that sentence and thought the same thing. Then I looked down and saw your post and was glad I wasn't alone!

Comment

Working...
                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                Search Result for "|||"