X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fightingfish
    • Sep 2007

speaker level to line-level converter

Hi folks,

I have a new Onkyo receiver SR505 that I really like. But I kinda caught the upgrade bug. I've been upgrading my the speakers that came with my htib, and I'm starting to look a little further down the line. I would eventually like to get a 2 ch. amp for my fronts. Problem here is that my receiver doesn't have pre-amp outs. I want to keep this receiver for awhile, so I'm looking into speaker level to line-level converters. Craig_Kg posted how he obtained this on this thread: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=122693
    : I used a 10k Ohm resistor in series with a 470 Ohm resistor for a 20:1 attenuation. The speaker out is bridged by the series resistance (10k Ohm to +ve) and the RCA out is taken across the 470 Ohm resistor (ground to -ve).

The 'point' is to allow a high quality 2ch system to coexist with a cheap HT receiver.

I would like to try and diy a converter the same way. Only problem here is, I'm an electronics newbie. Anybody willing to help walk me through this project?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Might be easiest to simply buy a DI (aka direct interface) box. Lot's of the prosound companies make these...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• fightingfish
      • Sep 2007

I don't see any DI boxes that accept speaker wire in, and have rca outs. A DI box would also be out of my price range. A commercial product for what I want to achieve would be the Audioplex SPKCNV:

Image not available

available here:http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=302-307

Thing is, I don't wanna spend $60 for this converter. I'm already looking to spend money on the front speakers I don't have yet, a new sub, and then an amp. I would like to attenuate the speaker level so that it would be usable for my future amp. I know most people would say, "Get a new receiver that has pre-amp outs." I enjoy my current receiver though, and really can't afford a new one.
      Last edited by theSven; 04 July 2023, 22:28 Tuesday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• Dave Bullet
        • Jul 2007

I have one of these (its a DIY made for me by someone else). I'll post a photo and give you the resistor values/ circuit diagram over the weekend.

Cheers,
        David.

Comment

• fightingfish
          • Sep 2007

Thanks Dave,
          I look forward to it.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"