New driver from seas !

Seas alu 5.5

i'm pretty sure some of you around gonna be interested

they didn't even post it in the news !

it looks like a great driver, especially for the price

now i just hope they're gonna do a 6,5" and a 8"

and it even looks cool !

[Edit]

The ts parameters looks kinda scary, this things gonna need a really big box and play really low, especially ported and for a 5.5, i just hope it's gonna have some real excursion to back it up

[/edit]
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

Sorta a ER18RNX motor with aluminum cone. Should be nice. Wish it had the excel motor though and that cone breakup is very high Q.

Comment

• jdybnis
      • Dec 2004

That's the driver that was custom made for the Linkwitz Pluto
      -Josh

Comment

• tktran
        • Jan 2005

Nice surround and motor. Pity about that fierce 5Khz resonance... :roll:

Comment

• capslock
          • Dec 2004

Response starts rising at 300 Hz, fully there at 600 Hz, could be baffle step, after all, they neglect to tell us the width of the test enclosure. But what is that dip at 500 Hz that is reflected in the impedance curve? Also, I am not happy with that broad dip around 3 kHz. Plain old L15RLY looks better to me.

Comment

• joecarrow
            • Apr 2005

How serious is that 11 mm Xmax? I have to say, with its power rating and Xmax, it looks like quite a robust driver for its size.
            -Joe Carrow

Comment

• Jonasz
              • Nov 2004

11 mm is the mechanical xmax, the linear is 6 mm, still pretty good. A floorstanding MTM with H1212 crossed around 1.4-1.6 KHz anyone? :B

Comment

• Nemophyle
                • Jul 2006

capslocks, i think when you look at the datasheet they say something about their box in wich they measured the driver. what's sure , the rise of the drivers is at least partly due to this. I'd like to see some independent measurements from jon or zaph on this driver.

Also the dip before breakup is pretty common in metal coned midwoofers. The RS180 also have it , so does the L18.

I think it's pretty obvious from the FR that this driver has been designed to be crossed over low btw, wich restricts it's uses. But as a driver custom designed for the SL Pluto, we can't really blame SEAS

Appart from FR irregularities, wich remains to be linked to SEAS measurements or not, the nasty breakup at 5khz pretty much warrants a big rise in HD5 around 1.5 khz or even lower, so i'd say this driver isn't to be crossed below that, and with LR4 minimum.

but when i the way some people work with metal drivers around here, i can't help but think that it could be used in an interresting design

also and i forgot that, but when you see the effective piston area, it's really more close to a 6" than to a 5", so it must be treated with respect to that

(+ i think it looks cool, i admit)

Comment

• capslock
                  • Dec 2004

That's the one gripe I have with their data sheets, they'll tell you the volume, but not the baffle geometry.

Comment

• JonP
                    • Apr 2006

Isn't there a "Standard Seas Baffle"? I seem to recall something to that effect, in a batch of driver data and accompanying document explaining conditions that got published by a Seas employee a while back.

Have to dig that up and see...

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"