X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rolex
    • Mar 2005

DIY in Michigan

Does anyone know of any get-togethers or diy groups that meet to listen to different designs and talk audio?

I see there is a big meet in Iowa, and New England. Both are too far of a drive for me.

Thanks.
  • ch83575
    • Sep 2006

I would also be very interested in knowing where to look for michigan DIY. Somebody told me that KarmaFest has some DIY, but I think it is more of an audio show, like a smaller Rocky Mountain or something. But there is supposedly some DIY too. I think it is in May. Checking out the forum (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php) they look to be more of tube electronic guys than speaker guys, but its all the same hobby in the end, just different strokes for different folks.

Comment

• dlneubec
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

There was the first annual InDIYana event last year in Richmond IN. I believe it will be held again in 2008, probably around the same time, which was April.
      Dan N.

Comment

• PoorboyMike
        • Oct 2005

I'd be all for a Michigan DIY meet. :T

Comment

• Fred333
          • Oct 2007

Sounds like fun. I would even road trip through Canada for one. The wife loves to travel.
          Always looking for a Scranton Web Design company.

Comment

• topp
            • Dec 2005

I would be interested also.

Comment

• Paul Ebert
              • May 2004

Three years ago, before I moved to central NY, I lived in Ann Arbor. I went to DIY Dayton a few times. It looks like that may no longer occur. That's unfortunate. If you do start an event, you might want to post it on pesupport. I bet several of the regulars there would like to attend. I'd attend as well, but I've already put 16k miles 8O on my new car driving back and forth to Ann Arbor.

Comment

• Dean100
                • Jan 2007

I would also be very interested!

Comment

• Rolex
                  • Mar 2005

Okay, so we have quite a few people interested, but no one knows of a group that already gets together.

Where is everyone located? I'm in Grand Rapids, Mi..

Comment

• Dylan Matlow
                    • Jun 2007

Columbus Ohio, Will travel

I miss DIY dayton Parts express is what made me able to join the DIY audio obsession... I hope it gets picked up again at some point, if not I'll have to just organize something in dayton myself next year if everything works out nicely on my end and I have some nice door prizes to hand out :B

Comment

• Dean100
                      • Jan 2007

Rochester, MI

Would be willing to travel a few hours away.

Comment

• mjgeorge
                        • May 2005

I'm in Grand Rapids also.

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                          • Oct 2005

Midland area, but will travel. :B

Comment

• JonW
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by dlneubec
                            There was the first annual InDIYana event last year in Richmond IN. I believe it will be held again in 2008, probably around the same time, which was April.
                            I didn't know about that. If it happens again, please post the info. Thanks.

Comment

• ch83575
                              • Sep 2006

I am in Ann Arbor, and could travel.

Comment

• Wilk
                                • Oct 2006

I am in Howell, and would happily attend anything within a reasonable driving distance.

Comment

• speedle
                                  • Dec 2006

I'm in northern michigan, but get all over the state regularly, so count me in if anything materializes from this. BTW AKFest really can't be characterized as more of a "tube" guys thing, it's really quite varied. I had a great time there last year and this, and it's a very open-minded bunch of people.

To that point in particular, AKFest seems to be growing year by year, and perhaps we could somehow hook our caboose to that train, even if by way of a small block of display rooms dedicated just to our purpose. Madisound had a room there this year, it was very well attended as I recall.

Just my two pfennig.

Comment

• ch83575
                                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by speedle
                                    I'm in northern michigan, but get all over the state regularly, so count me in if anything materializes from this. BTW AKFest really can't be characterized as more of a "tube" guys thing, it's really quite varied. I had a great time there last year and this, and it's a very open-minded bunch of people.

To that point in particular, AKFest seems to be growing year by year, and perhaps we could somehow hook our caboose to that train, even if by way of a small block of display rooms dedicated just to our purpose. Madisound had a room there this year, it was very well attended as I recall.

Just my two pfennig.
                                    I think that sounds like a good idea. No need re-inventing the wheel if there is already a well attended show in the area that is accommodating. "Tube guys" wasn't really supposed to be a criticism (after all, who doesn't like a little harmonic distortion from time to time :W ), I just meant that from what I have heard there aren't very many DIY speakers there currently. But if that is true, we will just have to remedy the situation.

On another note, did anybody here check out my $250 Shootout post? I think it would be really cool if we could get all of our designs together in one place a little while before the meet, measure them all in a consistent and controlled manner, and have the findings ready when we went to the AKFest. Just an idea, it didn't meet with very much enthusiasm the last time I brought it up, but I think it would be neat.

Comment

• Rolex
                                      • Mar 2005

I think speedle has the right idea. If we could latch on to an already existing event, it might make it easier to get things going. It seems like is a little bit of interest anyway.

as a side note, PoorboyMike, I was born and raised in Midland.. small world.

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Rolex
                                        as a side note, PoorboyMike, I was born and raised in Midland.. small world.
                                        I think you are the 1st person I've met on a forum who even knew where Midland was. :B I actually live in Sanford, but even people from Michigan don't know where that is. 8O

Comment

• Rolex
                                          • Mar 2005

Ah yes, my parents live about 15 minutes from there. I've jet skiied on that lake many, many times...

Comment

• speedle
                                            • Dec 2006

...from Midland too...

Just moved from Sanford a couple of years ago, or rather my wife did.

BTW one of the DIY speakers at the last AK fest was mine.

Comment

• cobbpa
                                              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by JonW
                                              I didn't know about that. If it happens again, please post the info. Thanks.
                                              x2...Richmond is only 10 minutes from me and I didn't know about it!

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                                                • Oct 2005

...from Midland too...

Just moved from Sanford a couple of years ago, or rather my wife did.

BTW one of the DIY speakers at the last AK fest was mine.
                                                How far north did you move speedle? We have some land in the northern part of Midland county, almost to Gladwin, that we will hopefully start building on this year. I like the peace and quiet up there but will miss having stores within a minutes drive.

Who knows, if you wife is from Sanford I might even know her. It's not like it's a huge town or anything.

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                                                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Rolex
                                                  Ah yes, my parents live about 15 minutes from there. I've jet skiied on that lake many, many times...
                                                  Cool! I like this area,,,pretty quiet and not a lot of crime. At least not much that makes it to the paper. :B

Comment

• Rolex
                                                    • Mar 2005

True, but not much else going on either. It is quiet, that's for sure.

My dad and I built the log house they live in near M-30 and M-20..

Comment

• speedle
                                                      • Dec 2006

Not to hijack or the like, but we moved way, way up north, at least as far as the LP is concerned. Believe me, there are no stores anywhere near us so the news that a mall might be built in Gaylord really made us jump. As for the wife, no we're both from Midland she just lived in Sanford for a little while before the big move up here. Her and her kids joined me and my kids so we could pretend we're the Brady Bunch.

As for the DIY, basically I'm game for anything in the state. I took 4 pairs of speakers (2 DIY one of which was the very large Natalie P Maxx pair), 3 integrated amps, 2 recievers, my laptop and my Squeezebox to AudioKarma Fest last year. Believe me that filled the 'ol minivan up. Anyway it was alot of fun. I can fill anyone in on the costs involved in having a demo room there, and I think if several of us went in together we could at least have one, maybe two rooms devoted to just DIY speakers. It would be really valuable, I think, to have the potential of direct comparison with some very expensive factory speakers that are usually there.

Just FIY, Rick Craig was there last year, as well as a couple other of those smaller speaker vendors in that ilk. It was really neat to see his stuff and hear it in close proximity to my own stuff.

Comment

• ch83575
                                                        • Sep 2006

I took 4 pairs of speakers (2 DIY one of which was the very large Natalie P Maxx pair), 3 integrated amps, 2 recievers, my laptop and my Squeezebox to AudioKarma Fest last year.
                                                        Thinking of bringing the Nats back next year? I would love to hear a pair. My parents have a cottage on Otsego Lake, are you very close to Gaylord, or even further into the great white north?

If Madisound has a room I wonder if they will be bringing these: SB Acoustics . Seems like that is plenty of time, even if there are a few delays.

It is starting to look like those of us not in-the-know are really missing something at this AKFest. I will have to make sure I make it.

-Chad

Comment

• speedle
                                                          • Dec 2006

AK Fest 2008

Just FYI, in case nobody else knew, the dates for AK Fest in Southfield, MI are
                                                          here:

Looks like May 3 and 4, which gives me plenty of time to finish the latest pair, unlike last year which was really rush to get the Nats done.

At this point I am attending for sure, but don't know if I'm getting an exhibitor room or not. If there is interest on going in half-sies or 4-sies I certainly will arrange it, then lodging can be on your own. Last year it was comfortable to have 4 systems with 4 pair of speakers in one room, on two adjacent walls.

So, can we make a DIY meet in Michigan happen!?

BTW Madisound will be there again, and more vendors are being added all the time.

Comment

• Eric_C
                                                            • Nov 2006

I'd be interested in something local also.

I was very interested in this about a year or so ago but life got in the way. Now that winter is here I would not mind getting some people together.

I'm in Green Oak(a collective WHERE?), its between Brighton and Ann Arbor off of 23

Comment

Working...
                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                            Search Result for "|||"