X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Inu_Yasha
    • May 2006

Unwinding an inductor

I got all my parts in for my Nat P, but I need to unwind one of the inductors to reach a value. I remember someone posted a website that said how much you had to remove in order to reach a wanted value. The type of inductor is a steel laminate.
    Last edited by ThomasW; 29 September 2007, 10:27 Saturday.
  • TacoD
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2004

I think it's not that easy, the iron core is not specified. So calculating the number of turns to take off is not straight forward. You can better use a LCR multimeter.

Comment

• mrogowski
      • Jul 2006

Agreed. There are a lot of variables.
      Where no sound has gone before

Comment

• jimangie1973
        • May 2007

I use LIMP (the impedance measurement portion of the ARTA software package) to measure the impedance while unwinding inductors. All you need is the free version of the software, a resistor (preferably measured with a Ohm meter, I use 25 Ohms), your preamp/amp combo, and cables.

The SW plots the inductor's impedance magnitude and phase. Since at higher frequencies, the inductor phase is very close to +90 degrees, you can just use the magnitude and the equation magnitude = 2*pi*f*L.

So if you need a 2 mH inductor value, the impedance magnitude at 1 kHz needs to be 2 * pi * 1000 * .002 = 12.57 Ohms.

Comment

• Undefinition
          • Dec 2006

Boy was I happy when I realized Speaker Workshop can measure inductors and capacitors. Made unwinding a whole lot easier. Granted, a half-decent LCR meter only costs like $50. But that's money that could be put towards more drivers!
          Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
          Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• Inu_Yasha
            • May 2006

Originally posted by Undefinition
            Granted, a half-decent LCR meter only costs like $50. But that's money that could be put towards more drivers!
            True true. I just guesstimated on how much needed to be removed from the inductor. I found a website that had a program that told me approximately how much to unwind. Thanks for the info though guys, I didn't know that steel laminate would be so different than air core.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"