X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dean100
    • Jan 2007

New 12" Sub

Wondering what everyones thoughts are on these http://www.diycable.com/main/product...8eeb1548f79789 new subs.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

We loved the 15" version....

If you need/want a fairly compact design one of these would be a good choice.

The generic questions about building subs are ....

1) how big is the room?
    2) how far is the listening position from the sub?
    3) how loud do you want the sub to play?
    4) what's the budget for this project?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dean100
      • Jan 2007

My thoughts are to build my daughter a sub for her bedroom for music. A few years down the road it would be used in a larger room (typical living room)again mainly for music.

Would like to keep the size down as well as the budget. But would be willing to spend $200 - $300 on amp. Will build the box myself.

Thanks Thomas.

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Dean100
        Wondering what everyones thoughts are on these http://www.diycable.com/main/product...8eeb1548f79789 new subs.
        I only have three left (the XJ-12) but I have the Shiva-X (the same driver with a slightly softer suspension) arriving late October.

For HT I'd wait for the new driver. It works well in ported boxes (3-3.5ft^3) or sealed of roughly the same size.

The 15" doesn't cost much more and you gain a lot of output over a 12". The downside is you need a larger box. The pre-production units are looking pretty good in 4.5ft^3 sealed and would give you output like the 12" ported.

Comment

• Dean100
          • Jan 2007

Kevin-
          Thanks for the input. Couple of questions. If I went with the XJ-12 what size box would you suggest for sealed? How much power?

Any idea on the pricing for Shiva-X ? 12 & 15 ? Are these XBL^2 ?

Thanks

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

The XJ-12"s have XBL^2 technology.

Kevin has some enclosure suggestions on his webpage.

For modest output in a bedroom the passively cooled Behringer A-500 would be a good match for this driver. If you want a plate type amp either the ones from www.OAudio.com or PE will work.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
              • Jan 2005

Dean100: How much power you need for a given application is determined by the box you put it in. In general, the A-500 ThomasW is pointing at will be plenty of power for anything but a very few situations. You can get by with a smaller 300W amp and you give up some of the peak output.

The XJ-12 in a sealed box is great for a car audio application where you have some cabin gain, but for home audio use I'd prefer some EQ to extend its response. It looks like the OAudio unit has a bass-boost feature but I don't know anything about it so I'll defer to others with personal experience with it.

If it where me, for a home audio application, I'd wait for the Shiva-X. Its going to be $180 each (that includes UPS GND shipping) but it will more closely match your application. Saving a couple dollars isn't smart unless it matches your application.

In terms of XBL^2, we won't be selling a driver that doesn't use it (outside of tweeters). I'm an unabashed fan-boy of XBL^2.

Comment

• Carl V
                • Apr 2005

isn't there a design available with a Cardoid box alignment...from the desginer of the NaO? this might be a nice arrangement. I've heard a
                similar alignement before, it performed well. It was replacing a Thor
                subwoofer at the time. I'm not saying one was better than the other.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"