• Aug 2006

Has anyone used Clarity Caps

• Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
      • Jan 2005

I used to sell them (still have some lingering inventory) and have used them in designs for years. They are a good part for a reasonable price. The only reason I'm not selling them anymore is for business reasons.

The company & product are both great though.

Comment

• TNRRClassic
        • Nov 2006

I like them and am going to use them in my Modula Neo CC LCR setup.

I used them in my Modula MT's. I also tried several versions and compared them with Solen and some cheapie caps. I liked the way they sounded. Also, with fairly decent equipment, I could tell the difference between the APW and PW compared to the SA line. I couldn't tell too awful much difference between the PX and SA, but I did like SA over the lower lines, for sure. They all sounded fine, though. I personally liked the PX and SA better than the Solen caps, but I thought the Solen caps were every bit as good as the APW and PW. In my opinion, the Clarity lines all had a little different sound than the Solen caps. I don't know how to describe it, but it was just a little different sound. I didn't like the cheapie free caps I tried. I am sure that everybody would see things differently with their own equipment, but that was my impression.

Oh, I don't think I will ever do that again, as it was a lot of work and everything sounded good. I tried them out on a Sony ES HT receiver, an Outlaw 1070, and a Jolida hybrid amp and cd player setup. I tried to keep it pretty well blind testing, and you would be surprised how well you can do with a cardboard box with wires sticking out of it! The trick is to move the speaker box and not the crossover box, as the weight of the cardboard crossover box will give things away.

The crossovers I built were: mixed PW and APW, almost all PX, almost all SA, all Solen, and all cheapie. The almost all meant that I might have had to make up a part value with another line of cap.

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

I'm using the Clarity SA caps in the new Modula NeoD CC three way, in selected locations (mid and tweeter crossover). Sounded very good with Mk1 version of crossover, once we kicked an Adcom amp to the curb.

Whether one should consider them over other less expensive offerings will depend on the rest of the system. With a good CD or SACD source, (something like an iMac G5 with Wolfson DACs, or a Benchmark DAC1, or one of the better Marantz SACD players; electronics like Aragon or better (Ayre integrated or separates, for example), I'd certainly recommend the additional expense. With the older Sony ES series HT receiver I use as a sanity check for speaker voicing, it probably isn't worth the extra expense.

Systems at home I used for evaluations include Ayre AX-7e integrated, Ayre K-5xe preamp, Marchand Passive Preamp using Shallco 44 step attenuator switches, Ayre V5, Aragon 8008X3, and Aragon Palladium monoblocks. Source electronics are an iMac G5 configured as music server, with or without a Benchmark DAC1, and a Marantz SA-11s, and Sony SCD777ES SACD player.
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jed
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by JonMarsh
            I'm using the Clarity SA caps in the new Modula NeoD CC three way, in selected locations (mid and tweeter crossover). Sounded very good with Mk1 version of crossover, once we kicked an Adcom amp to the curb.

Whether one should consider them over other less expensive offerings will depend on the rest of the system. With a good CD or SACD source, (something like an iMac G5 with Wolfson DACs, or a Benchmark DAC1, or one of the better Marantz SACD players; electronics like Aragon or better (Ayre integrated or separates, for example), I'd certainly recommend the additional expense. With the older Sony ES series HT receiver I use as a sanity check for speaker voicing, it probably isn't worth the extra expense.

Systems at home I used for evaluations include Ayre AX-7e integrated, Ayre K-5xe preamp, Marchand Passive Preamp using Shallco 44 step attenuator switches, Ayre V5, Aragon 8008X3, and Aragon Palladium monoblocks. Source electronics are an iMac G5 configured as music server, with or without a Benchmark DAC1, and a Marantz SA-11s, and Sony SCD777ES SACD player.

Jon- just a quick thanks for recommending the Aragon 8002- I picked one up not too long ago and I really like the sound. The amp seems to do a lot "right" and remains very neutral. It definitely helps me to tune speakers, since I know the amplifier isn't adding too much. I'm also running a Bedini Class A preamp that matches well with the Aragon. Again, very neutral, and it has a passive switch that allows different options as well.

Jed

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Sounds good, Jed! :T I've heard of the Bedeni's, though I've never heard one.

One of my disappointments in the new iPods is that Apple switched to a Cirrus logic DAC in the iPod classic that has no where near as good time response as the Wolfson's, and reports I'm getting are that it doesn't sound nearly as good, either, besides having a bit of a frequency response error (a tenth of a dB or two bright in the upper octave).

~Jon
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"