X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AJINFLA
    • Mar 2005

Corner Dipole

Gradients new design for those with small rooms or those who simply can't (or don't want to) have the speakers well out into the room (but obviously have space in the corner).
    Nothing revolutionary but pretty cool concept IMHO. Linkwitz showed another Corner Dipole arrangement on his website.
    Hey, if I ever had to move into a small apartment...

cheers,

AJ

Manufacturer
  • joecarrow
    • Apr 2005

I'm not sure if I understand how the one pictured would work. Is the woofer in a closed box? It sure seems like the null would point into the room unless there were two woofers working together as Linkwitz pictured.
    -Joe Carrow

Comment

• Landroval
      • Dec 2005

The Finnish Hifimaailma website says the new 1.5 has two options for placement. One is close and perpendicular with the back wall and the other is the 45 degrees corner placement. The woofer is open back dipole, but I'm not totally sure how it works with the null facing forward. I guess the corner and room modes are somehow affecting the situation and maybe also the listener is supposed to sit slightly away from the null.

Comment

• Scottg
        • Nov 2006

It is kind'a cool looking..

And I particularly like guessing at its operation.

Tweeter & waveguide is a no-brainer.. as long as the tweeter's low freq. "cut" is well above the point where it starts becoming "omni" again.

The "compression disk" enclosure of the mid. looks like the "disk's" sides are perforated.. and are likely functioning aperiodically. Its gotta be a cardoid response, both because its coupled to a waveguide tweeter and because its "spec.ed" for room corner use. Its also semi-radial in operation, somewhat similar to the newer Mirage units (..though of course with a more constrained wavefront).

Now the woofer initially looks like its just open sided - but I'd bet that only the magnet of the woofer was "hanging out" on the other side of the panel. In other words I'd bet that there is vary narrow channel of about 4 inches wide that directs the woofer's rear wave to the rear of the speaker. Of course such a cavity will resonant heavily at a higher freq. (perhaps near 500-600 Hz) and as a result its likely that the high pass filter for the woofer is quite steep to try and cut its output. Who knows though, the unusual shape may mitigate its resonance character substantially. Another possibility is that its a cardoid at the top of its usable bandwidth, and a dipole below that. That should cut the resonance.

Of course I could be wrong on any of the above!

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"