X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fvoelling
    • Jul 2004

Building Modula MT (or Natalie P?)

Well, my father-in-law is coming to town next month and can help me build the crossover, so it's time to order the parts (already have the drivers, RS180/RS28a-4).

Below is my order for the crossovers for the MT (based on philip g's post, so everything should be cool). However, not being an EE hobbyist, what other stuff do I need to get that most of you probably have floating around already and thus never include in the BOM, like wire, special solder?, those nifty white terminal connectors (where do you buy them and what are they called, couldn't find them on PE), etc?

BTW, somebody should have stocked up on the Jantzen air core inductors when they were half the price of what they are now, ouch!

Finally, just out of curiosity, roughly how much more would the crossovers of the Natalie P cost over these? Since I won't be using a sub, I'm wondering deep down if I wouldn't be better off building those.

Thx,
    Frank

Part # Qty Description
    027-520 4 Solen 1.0uF 400V Polypropylene Capacito .. $1.54 $6.16
    027-564 2 Solen 8.2uF 400V Polypropylene Capacito .. $4.11 $8.22
    027-572 4 Solen 12uF 400V Polypropylene Capacitor .. $5.04 $20.16
    027-582 2 Solen 20uF 400V Polypropylene Capacitor .. $6.66 $13.32
    091-340 2 Dayton BPT-38G Binding Post Pair w/Tab .. $6.25 $12.50
    266-313 2 0.27mH 14 AWG Perfect Layer Inductor .. $9.66 $19.32
    266-320 2 0.40mH 14 AWG Perfect Layer Inductor .. $12.67 $25.34
    005-2 4 Mills 2 Ohm 12W Non-Inductive Resistor .. $3.50 $14.00
    005-6 2 Mills 6 Ohm 12W Non-Inductive Resistor .. $3.50 $7.00
    004-5.1 2 Dayton DNR-5.1 5.1 Ohm 10W Non-Inductiv .. $1.38 $2.76
    268-348 2 Precision Port 2" Flared Port Tube Kit .. $9.65 $19.30
    255-434 2 Jantzen 2.7mH 15 AWG Air Core Inductor .. $27.54 $55.08
    260-540 1 Speaker Gasketing Tape 1/8" x 3/8" x 50 .. $4.23 $4.23
    260-520 4 Sonic Barrier 1/2" Acoustic Foam w/PSA .. $6.87 $27.48
    Subtotal: $234.87
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

You can find the 'Euro style terminal strips' at Radio Shack stores or their website. I'm sure googling the terms will provide a myrid of other suppliers

If you want the ability to play louder with more bass, yes the NatP is the way to go.

I haven't looked lately but I'm sure there's at least one complete NatP BOM with pricing in the main design thread. The pricing on the inductors will be off given the rise in the price of copper.

I use the wire seen in this link for my speakers. 16 gauge for woofers 14 gauge for tweeters.

Any standard electrical solder is fine. Those of us that are crazy use the high-end stuff from Cardas, problem is a pound is $44

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Brian Bunge
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2001

Originally posted by ThomasW
      I use the wire seen in this link for my speakers. 16 gauge for woofers 14 gauge for tweeters.

Any standard electrical solder is fine. Those of us that are crazy use the high-end stuff from Cardas, problem is a pound is $44
      Thomas, I assume you meant 14 gauge for woofers and 16 gauge for tweeters, yes? Or no?

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Brian Bunge
        Thomas, I assume you meant 14 gauge for woofers and 16 gauge for tweeters, yes? Or no?
        Oop.... ops:

Flagrant foul, posting before AM espresso.. :B

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

ApexJr also has the Euro terminal strips usually.
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• fvoelling
            • Jul 2004

Thanks, Thomas et al! I did find a BOM in the NatP thread, it appeared to be lower cost than the one for the Modula MT (just looking at the cost of the crossover, roughly $90 vs $130, with the majority of the increase being the inductors). Perhaps some of that was due to better components and/or closeout deals.

At any rate, I placed the order for the Modula MT parts, makes for an easier build (than a floor-standing NatP, my preferred choice for that speaker), and I have a couple of box subs if I need one with the MT.

Frank
            Last edited by fvoelling; 21 September 2007, 19:27 Friday. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"