X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mazeroth
    • Nov 2004

Which tweeter for my line arrays?

I have a few boxes of the Aura NS3-193s sitting here and am going to build a pair of 6.5-7' line arrays for the basement theater in the house we just closed on. I'm stuck on which tweeter to use and think I will avoid the PT2C after a friend of mine did some distortion measurements on the new batch and they came out horribly. The two tweeters I'm considering are:

Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

As of now I'm leaning towards the Dayton for these reasons:

1. They will cost me roughly half as much as the Aura tweeters
    2. Their center to center spacing is tighter
    3. Easier mounting
    4. They have a rising response above ~16k, which could aid in the comb filtering due to the non-optimal spacing of the tweeters but will probably be negligable

What do you guys think? I'm thinking of crossing them to the NS3-193s between 3-4 khz. while the bottom few octaves will be handled by subwoofers. I will use as many tweeters as needed to match the length of the mid line, which should be somewhere around 50 per side (anyone want to help wire?). These will be used for 90% movies so the utmost in SQ is not needed, though, I would like them to sound very good.

One other thing I was contemplating was making them more full-range and adding a small line of these Tang Band subs to the side, probably 8 of them, with a little bit of spacing to allow them to go the full line:

Due to their lower sensitivity I would use a plate amp on the back of the arrays and utilize its crossover to save money on expensive inductors. Then I could make the NS3-193 enclosure sealed, find its F6 and try to cross around there (I'll measure, of course).

Thanks for any input you guys can give me! I really do appreciate it!
  • peter_m
    • Sep 2007

Zaph used a similer tweeter: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=275-035
    He used it here with the same woofer: http://zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker20a.html
    And reviews it in here: http://zaphaudio.com/tweetermishmash/

Hope this helps

Comment

• Rick Craig
      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Mazeroth
      I have a few boxes of the Aura NS3-193s sitting here and am going to build a pair of 6.5-7' line arrays for the basement theater in the house we just closed on. I'm stuck on which tweeter to use and think I will avoid the PT2C after a friend of mine did some distortion measurements on the new batch and they came out horribly. The two tweeters I'm considering are:

Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

As of now I'm leaning towards the Dayton for these reasons:

1. They will cost me roughly half as much as the Aura tweeters
      2. Their center to center spacing is tighter
      3. Easier mounting
      4. They have a rising response above ~16k, which could aid in the comb filtering due to the non-optimal spacing of the tweeters but will probably be negligable

What do you guys think? I'm thinking of crossing them to the NS3-193s between 3-4 khz. while the bottom few octaves will be handled by subwoofers. I will use as many tweeters as needed to match the length of the mid line, which should be somewhere around 50 per side (anyone want to help wire?). These will be used for 90% movies so the utmost in SQ is not needed, though, I would like them to sound very good.

One other thing I was contemplating was making them more full-range and adding a small line of these Tang Band subs to the side, probably 8 of them, with a little bit of spacing to allow them to go the full line:

Due to their lower sensitivity I would use a plate amp on the back of the arrays and utilize its crossover to save money on expensive inductors. Then I could make the NS3-193 enclosure sealed, find its F6 and try to cross around there (I'll measure, of course).

Thanks for any input you guys can give me! I really do appreciate it!
      You'll need a crossover point lower than 3-4K so the 3/4" domes won't work very well. I would build a test baffle with the Aura drivers (excellent choice by the way) and measure the line. At that point you'll see where your crossover frequency needs to be.

Comment

• Rick Craig
        • Jul 2006

There's also a new line array forum at Audio Circle that you may want to check out. There's been an interesting discussion about how to measure an array.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"