• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonasz
    • Nov 2004

Sub for $500

I got the thumpsup :T to look for a sub for these tonight: NatalieP

I was thinking RSS390HF and this .

I do have a question though, looking at the amp I don't se R anf L out. Is it really an amp without an highpass built in? I feel kind of stupid, I've never looked at these subamps before and I thought they had it all built in... ops:
    Last edited by theSven; 01 October 2023, 20:47 Sunday. Reason: Update url
  • Jack Gilvey
    • Aug 2001

HP filters in sub amps usually do more harm than good, this one looks like it needs a parallel line-level feed.

Comment

• AJINFLA
      • Mar 2005

Hi Jonas,

The highpass on plate amps are almost always passive, on the speaker level output terminals. The line level throughput, if there is one, is usually full range. If you want an active highpass, it would have to be a filter placed after the sub's line output, or before the sub altogether (recommended).
      For the budget you gave, my strong recommendation would be these. Forum rules prevent discussion of such kits, but feel free to do some investigating yourself to see if they would fit your needs. They have been discussed and tested on numerous forums. Best of luck.

cheers,

AJ
      Last edited by theSven; 01 October 2023, 20:48 Sunday. Reason: Update url
      Manufacturer

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

My question is do you really need a plate amp?

If you're using a receiver or pre-pro with a sub out, no additional signal processing is needed.

IMO stand-alone amps represent a better long term investment, they're almost always built better and if they need service you don't have a big hole in the back of the box.

The 390 is a nice driver, but it's limited Xmax means it's only good for a small room and somewhat low output levels.

How big is your room?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jonasz
          • Nov 2004

AJ: I will definitely look into those kits, thanks! :T

Thomas: I just thought a subamp would be a convenient solution. If I would build subs for myself I would go for at least two modules but my sister and her husband, which is a musician, are not audiophiles per se, but still loves good sound. We thought that one badass sub would do the job for them. The room itself isn't that big but there's a lot of big openings that in reality makes it a humongous room. I guess more xmax than the RSS390 is needed...

Btw, they have a Denon (2*120W 8 ohms) integrated amp so no sub lineout available.

Comment

• engr_dave
            • Dec 2005

integrated amp so no sub lineout available.
            That's a problem. The plate amp will give you the low-pass filters for the sub... but you'd still be missing the high-pass filters for the mains. You'll need an electronic crossover (good inexpensive units are available from Behringer and DBX/Driverack) or perhaps passive "F-mods" or "bass blockers" between pre-out and line-in of the Denon.

I suppose you can just add the sub to the existing system and run the mains full range. In that case, set the sub crossover at roughly the F3 of the mains. However, this doesn't give you the advantages of improved dynamic range and reduced distortion normally gained by relieving the mains of deep bass duty. Sort of "sub-optimal" :rofl:

The RSS390s are nice drivers, BTW. "Matrix Reloaded" at near reference levels last night reminded me how effortless and limitless these babies are. I'm running four RSS390HO's however.

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Jonasz
              Btw, they have a Denon (2*120W 8 ohms) integrated amp so no sub lineout available.
              Unless it has a pre-amp line out there are no easy solutions.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• engr_dave
                • Dec 2005

Right Thomas. I assumed that he meant no sub lineout, i.e. no specific LP-filtered subwoofer output... but that it did have traditional "pre-out, line-in" connections

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"