X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beck01
    • Aug 2007

Newbie Project Recommendation

Hello,
    As a first time poster, I would greatly appreciate the input from some of the experienced speaker gurus around here. In the process of building my new home theater, I stumbled on ThomasW’s IB website which led to the problem I now face… I need to upgrade the rest of my speakers to match the great sound quality of my IB sub. The room is dedicated with about 70% movie and 30% 2 channel music.

Goals of main speakers: capable of dynamic peaks of 102-105db during movies, good response out to 18.5kHz, sufficient bass response for 2 channel music, the main speakers above 30” in height should be as narrow as possible with a maximum width of 9.5”, and the depth of speakers can be up to 19” if needed.

Speaker design preferences (subject to change): a MTM based design for the mains, a WT/MW based design for the center; dipole surrounds. I am not opposed to going active and bi-amping in needed. The overall budget is yet to be determined.

I am looking at the Statements and the modifications needed for a similar MTMWW arrangement with a narrow baffle for the MTM portion of the speaker because I like the driver selection and the open back mids are interesting. Alternatively I am looking at the current Dayton 3 way designs (TMWW) and modifying them into an MTMWW based design.

Are there any other projects I should be considering? Any input would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Beck01
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

I'm partial to CJD's and mine Khanspire: http://htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=26309

It is WMTMW similar to the Statements, but with a aluminum dome tweeter instead of the ribbon, and the RS-150 (a 6" mid) instead of the TB W4. I'm really enjoying them. Big, crisp clean sound. Unfortunately, the baffle can not be modified to make them narrower or the design will be off. (Same with the Statements. Very few things in a design can be modified and still work. Adding drivers is another big change that just isn't possible)

If you want to go bigger, there is CJD's 3-ways. If you want to go smaller or narrower, I would suject JonMarsh's Modula Neo Center with bass bins actively crossed.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Jed and I and a few others have been putting together a few designs we call the Lineup series. One of them are the Lineup Maxx's its an MTMWWWW configuration the deminsions of the enclosures are 6.75" wide 45" tall and 12" deep its quite a slim tower and they look quite sexy. There are several pics of the enclosures in our thread check it out if you like. The sound should be quite nice as it uses the TB W4 and the D26 tweet. From your size restraints seems that these may be perfect for you. We are also going to be doing a WTMW Lineup Maxx center. It will use the same drivers as the Maxx towers.

Thread is here http://htguide.com/forum/showthread....9&page=1&pp=35

Comment

• zzzz
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Dougie085
        Jed and I and a few others have been putting together a few designs we call the Lineup series. One of them are the Lineup Maxx's its an MTMWWWW configuration the deminsions of the enclosures are 6.75" wide 45" tall and 12" deep its quite a slim tower and they look quite sexy. There are several pics of the enclosures in our thread check it out if you like. The sound should be quite nice as it uses the TB W4 and the D26 tweet. From your size restraints seems that these may be perfect for you. We are also going to be doing a WTMW Lineup Maxx center. It will use the same drivers as the Maxx towers.

Thread is here http://htguide.com/forum/showthread....9&page=1&pp=35
        What is the expected cost on the MTMWWWW Maxxx's?
        Thanks!

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

I believe about....well drivers are about 400ish crossovers? 200 maybe? I'm not sure as they aren't completed yet but I'd say about 600 for the pair. We have some very small speakers for surrounds if you look in the thread. Some small TM's or MTM's. They are looking quite nice. Probably need a sub though the tower will have an F3 of about 40hz though so will the Maxx center.

Comment

• beck01
            • Aug 2007

Thanks for the feedback

Ryan, I have read over the designs you mentioned and favor a MTMWW layout, but the problem, as you mention, is width. An MTM with a bass bin added is one alternative I am considering.

Dougie, I have also been following the Maxx MTMWWWW design that you mentioned due to the reduced width. In comparing the Maxx to the Statements, I am wondering about the ribbon vs. dome, and the open back mid vs. sealed – any thoughts on this?

Beck01

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

The reason we didn't go with the ribbon for the Maxx's is because of verticle lobbing issues and costs. The CTC spacing of an MTM using a ribbon tweeter has to be very small. Jed has been very impressed by the D26 and I trust his decision with the D26. Honestly I'm not sure you'll be missing a ton between the D26 or the NeoCD3.0 they are both very nice tweeters but one is 26 bucks and the other 89 so kind of different leagues. He's waiting for his new calibrated mic to come in (arrives thursday/friday) and then he's going to do some real measurments on the speakers. For the size of these speakers I think many would be surprised by the performance. The design goal was slim and high performing on a moderate budget. I think we've achieved that.

Comment

• Dennis H
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2002

Beck, you mentioned a maximum depth of 19". The Statements like to be at least that far from the wall plus the cabinet depth. If you're pushing them near the wall, the open-backed mid won't work that well.

Comment

• beck01
                  • Aug 2007

Dougie, regarding the tweeters, I am curious how the D44 and R44 sound when compared against each other - have you heard both of them? I will be watching the development of the Maxx and matching center closely.

Dennis, I agree I do not have enough room for the Statements. However, I am leaning toward using the same compliment of drivers.

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

No I haven't heard them. Currently I'm working on building the Maxx's after that I'll be building the Maxx Center. Then I will worry about the smaller surrounds. But Jed will post his impressions on the different designs so read that. And others are already building enclosures and stuff for the smaller speakers.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"