X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coconutout
    • Oct 2006

speaker recommandation under $1500

hey guys, i just sold off my dr.k's mtm (vifa18/seas27) and now am looking for that next golden sound. this time, my budget is right at $1500. seas thors got my attention at the moment but i dunno, it seems like ive been around mtms all my life. is there an open baffle, 3-way design much like orion but at my budget? could you guys recommand me some designs that would be comparable to thor? thanks.
  • technimac
    • Feb 2005

Take a look at this brand new "open back Mid" TMWW design from the team of Curt C, Jim Holz and Wayne W:

....... or this WMTW, from the legendary Jon Marsh:

It's likely that either will give you far better performance than the Thors will.

Good luck with your quest........
    Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 20:20 Friday. Reason: Update urls
    "While we're at it" - the four most dangerous words in Home Improvement

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

That budget also includes BOTH my 3-way projects (WWMTM or WMTMW).

Lots and lots of options.

C
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ahaik
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by technimac
        Take a look at this brand new "open back Mid" TMWW design from the team of Curt C, Jim Holz and Wayne W:

....... or this WMTW, from the legendary Jon Marsh:

It's likely that either will give you far better performance than the Thors will.

Good luck with your quest........
        ​

My vote is for the second link ;x(
        Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 20:21 Friday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• Dennis H
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2002

The only completed Orion-like project is the Arvo Pärt. You'd have to price them out to see if you could come in under $1500 for a pair. I know TC Sounds raised their prices recently. Along with the official design thread, there are some others with good info. Do a search for Arvo.

Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 20:21 Friday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• TacoD
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2004

I also would try to built an Arvo

Comment

• CraigJ
              • Feb 2006

Why not build the Isiris Junior.

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

For 1500 you can pretty much build any of the designs here.

Comment

• chasw98
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

These have been suggested earlier. They are the Arvo speakers. You would be happy with these if you have a room that will hold them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4522.webp
Views:	20
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	944431

Chuck
                  Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 20:22 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by chasw98
                    These have been suggested earlier. They are the Arvo speakers. You would be happy with these if you have a room that will hold them.
                    Chuck
                    Very nice Chuck! :T

Jim

Comment

• Coconutout
                      • Oct 2006

right now im leaning towards jim holtz's statements. i just love the design and that its a ribbon tweeter. however, my thoughts still linger on thor- why is it not regarded as highly here? is it simply due to price/performance ratio? even with the fixed design enclosure such as 'small thor'? the money isn't much of a factor for me at the moment. i will spend up to $1500 to get the best speakers possible- even if it means spending that extra $700 on a fraction of an increase in performance. thanks for your responces guys and i hope they keep coming cuz to be honest, this is my first diy high budget speaker project and i do need all the help i can get. (i have built rythmik servo and a pair of tm monitors in the past...)

Comment

• ---k---
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by cjd
                        That budget also includes BOTH my 3-way projects (WWMTM or WMTMW).

Lots and lots of options.

C
                        Not dipole, but I can vouch that they sound great! See:

Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 20:22 Friday. Reason: Update htguide urls
                        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Nov 2001

Originally posted by Coconutout
                          right now im leaning towards jim holtz's statements. i just love the design and that its a ribbon tweeter. however, my thoughts still linger on thor- why is it not regarded as highly here? is it simply due to price/performance ratio? even with the fixed design enclosure such as 'small thor'? the money isn't much of a factor for me at the moment. i will spend up to $1500 to get the best speakers possible- even if it means spending that extra $700 on a fraction of an increase in performance. thanks for your responces guys and i hope they keep coming cuz to be honest, this is my first diy high budget speaker project and i do need all the help i can get. (i have built rythmik servo and a pair of tm monitors in the past...)

Perhaps you should read this thread regarding the Thor:

is it possible to design a different crossover using the measurement found in the audioxpress review www.audioxcel.com/audioXpress%20Thor%20Review.pdf . i was thinking something along the lines of a cauer-elliptic filter with a lower xover point like the ones for the dayton kits. has anyone already designed a better xover for
                          Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 20:23 Friday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• chasw98
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                            Very nice Chuck! :T

Jim
                            Thanks Jim. Right now it is still a grand experiment.

Comment

• tf1216
                              • Apr 2006

How about Jim Salk's SongTowers?

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"