X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahaik
    • Feb 2007

Trimming veneer around driver holes

Hi,

I have veneered two pairs of speakers and in both I trimmed the veneer using a utility knife. I found it hard time consuming and if not careful you can damage the edges of the veneer.
    Is there a better way of doing it ? maybe using a router or a dremel tool ?

Thanks,
    Asi.
  • jmb
    • Feb 2006

What do you use to cut the holes with?

I usually veneer the baffle, and then use my trusty Jasper Jig to cut the holes, trimming the veneer in the process. 8)
    "I'd rather attempt to do something great and fail......than attempt to do nothing and succeed."

Comment

• ahaik
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jmb
      What do you use to cut the holes with?

I usually veneer the baffle, and then use my trusty Jasper Jig to cut the holes, trimming the veneer in the process. 8)
      I use a Jasper jig too, what you are suggesting makes sense. The problem is (for me) that I build the speaker first and then choose the veneer .
      Also the Microbes I built have a roundof on the sides of the baffle and I wrapped the veneed around.
      Thanks.

Comment

• PoorboyMike
        • Oct 2005

How deep is the recess? One of THESE will more than likely do the trick.

If you have to, you can grind off a little on the bottom "bearing" to make it work.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ahaik
          Hi,

I have veneered two pairs of speakers and in both I trimmed the veneer using a utility knife. I found it hard time consuming and if not careful you can damage the edges of the veneer.
          Is there a better way of doing it ? maybe using a router or a dremel tool ?

Thanks,
          Asi.
          Hi Asi,

Try a laminate flush trim bit in your router. I did have to grind the blunt end down so it was thinner but it works well and the veneer comes out perfect.

Whiteside router bits, Byrd shelix jointer and planer cutterheads, saw blades and other woodworking cutting tools from holbren.com

HTH

Jim

EDIT: I see Poorboy beat me to it.

Comment

• PoorboyMike
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Jim Holtz

EDIT: I see Poorboy beat me to it.
            That's OK, your supplier is cheaper! :T

Comment

• ahaik
              • Feb 2007

I knew there had to be something simple
              You guys are awesome :T
              Thank you.

Comment

• audioslave
                • Oct 2003

There is another option.....get a rabbeting bit set. Use a straight cut bit to cut the driver hole, big enough for the driver basket. Then use a rabbeting bit to cut the recess for the flange. After you veneer use the same rabbeting bit to trim the veneer. You adjust width of the flange cut from ¼ to ½ in deep. Takes a couple of practice holes in scrap to get the right combo of rabbet bit and hole diameter.

Here is a more in depth write up.

Whether you're a seasoned artisan or a novice enthusiast, shop Woodcraft for expert advice, unbeatable prices, superior brands, and a woodworking experience like no other. Explore our vast selection of premium wood, tools, and accessories, meticulously curated to fuel your passion for creating timeless pieces.
                mike

Comment

• JonP
                  • Apr 2006

Look for something they call a "dado trim bit": like this

Maybe others are shorter. I found one at another place that stated the lower pilot portion was 1/8", don't know about this one.

I went thru pulling my hair over not ordering one of these to get to me in time for a nice 3 day weekend, finally said %$# it, and used my dremel. I had used a jasper jig to make both rabbet and thru cuts, and they didn't end up on standard rabbet bit sizes... so I couldn't do that, but using the dremel worked ok.

Overall process: 1. Use big router and flush trim bit, plunge into center of driver hole and run bearing around thru hole to open things up. 2. Use small bit in dremel and dremel base to cut close over the rabbet. 3. Use mini drum sander bit in dremel, freehand, to carefully grind the lip of veneer flush with driver hole edges.

Worked easier and better than I thought... just be in a calm and non-overcaffinated state, and take your time.

Comment

• tdv
                    • Mar 2006

veneer

Asi

If I have the holes cut before veneering I take a flush trim bit and run it around the driver/tweeter basket hole. What is remaining is the veneer covering the flange or rabbeted portion. Next take some scrap mdf, cut out some circles with your jasper the size of the outside diameters of your basket holes. Cut off 1/2" of one side of this circle (easy removal later). Insert the circle into the basket hole, usually requires a tap with a hammer. Use your jasper and plunge router set to 1/8"-3/16" depth and the original diameter of your flange cutout and route the remaining veneer. To remove the scrap circle, I tap it into the speaker and remove it easily which is the reason for cutting a 1/2" off.

Tim
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"