X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sphynx_000
    • Jun 2007

another budget subwoofer thread,

Sorry to start another thread similar to the one already posted, my criteria is actually very similar to the other thread. I wish the 15" sub from diycable was still being sold...

This is my system,

Zaphaudio.com waveguides
    H/K avr147
    REW equipped laptop
    M-audio preamp/sound driver

I will also be looking at a bash plate amp (300 watts), or more power from a pro sound amp (600 or 900 watts max).

For the subwoofer, mach 5 audio looks pretty decent. But I can still get a tempest for about 150, that would probably go lower, and be close to as loud as the 18 from mach 5. Plus 300 watts on a tempest would be OK I think.

Those are the only 2 speakers I can think of in my budget.

Any thoughts?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by sphynx_000
    Those are the only 2 speakers I can think of in my budget.
    And your budget is?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• sphynx_000
      • Jun 2007

$150 for the sub,

I have a few amp options I could work out, but it will will likely be a 300 watt plate amp, or a 600 watt (8 ohms) or 900 watt (4 ohms) bridged prosound amp.

Comment

• Jonasz
        • Nov 2004

Why not RSS390? It's $160 but the shipping is free if you hurry up!

Comment

• yousuredo2
          • Jun 2006

I can still get a tempest for about 150, that would probably go lower, and be close to as loud as the 18 from mach 5.

the tempest is still available ?
          My System
          ~ BenQ w5000 DLP 1080p Projector
          ~ Sony Bravia SXRD KDS-60A3000
          ~ Onkyo tx sr805
          ~ Sony PS.3
          ~ Xbox 360
          ~ Natalie P's Main L/R
          ~ Polk Csi A6 -Center
          ~ Polk RTi6 Rears
          ~ Behringer ep2500
          ~ Behringer Fbq 2496

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I have a couple Adire Shiva's sitting in the basement. They were originally used in my big IB, so they're used but in very good condition. A pair of these will play louder than the 'Classic' Tempest or RSS-390

$80+ shipping for the pair if you're interested.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• sphynx_000
              • Jun 2007

yes, very interested!

are these 12 inch shiva's?

here are the tempests

Comment

• sphynx_000
                • Jun 2007

BTW, music is the focus of this system, maybe 60% music 40% movies.

I have seen many people talk about dipole systems on this site. I started looking into exactly what a dipole was, and then came across this, shiva dipole. From what I understand the two drivers are wired push/pull (at least with the linked system), meaning air is pushed out through one end of the box, while being pulled in the other end???

Im guessing the main advantages here are lowered distortion, and increased efficiency. And the disadvantage seams to be low-end rolloff that can be curbed with an eq, which I have. I also read that the in room responce is less peaky with dipole systems.

It all sounds interesting to me (I like things a little out of the ordinary). However I have a large listening room, with 2 large openings (no doors) to the rest of the basement. I am really looking to get the most output I can for my dollar.

How would a system like this compare to a traditional sealed or ported system in both low-end and overall output?

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

are these 12 inch shiva's?
                  Yes.

How would a system like this compare to a traditional sealed or ported system in both low-end and overall output?
                  Dipole's have no low bass unless you run a dozen or so drivers and a ton of EQ.

Linkwitz uses these as woofers, not subwoofers.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• sphynx_000
                    • Jun 2007

Well, I can throw out the dipole idea then.

I am still interested in this shiva's though. Could you recommend me a box and how much power I should look for, based on my criteria?

-mostly music, with some home theater
                    -large room
                    -I usually prefer sealed boxes in cars, but I have built a couple ported boxes that I thought sounded great.

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Adire has 3 ported and 3 sealed designs for the Adire.

Currently the Wayback Machine is off line, when it's up again put www.adireaudio.com into the URL box and go back to one of the links in say 2003 or 2004 to find them

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• sphynx_000
                        • Jun 2007

I am going to keep looking around for a while, but im guessing the offer you made me will be my best bet. If the deal still stands, I will let you know within a couple of days.

Comment

• sphynx_000
                          • Jun 2007

also what series and impedance are the shiva's?

Comment

• ThomasW
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

I am going to keep looking around for a while, but im guessing the offer you made me will be my best bet. If the deal still stands, I will let you know within a couple of days.
                            Don't want too long I've already had other requests for them.

They're MkII versions. As with all Shiva and Tempests they're dual 8 ohm

The Adire box information is on this page

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• sphynx_000
                              • Jun 2007

I'll take them, PM on the way.

I dont think I am going to come across another deal this good.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"