X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JasonB
    • Oct 2005

Room EQ Wizard question

I'm trying to get my BFD set up and for now I am forced to use the manual method with a RS SPL meter and test tones. I have an Excel spreadsheet that graphs the response once the numbers are manually inputed, I also have the Room EQ Wizard program. Is there any way to input a graph in to Room EQ Wizard? The big advantage to doing that is the fact that the Room EQ Wizard program allows me to see exacly how the BFD's filters will affect the response where with the spreadsheet I would have to keep guessing and re-measuring.

Thanks,

Jason
    Attached Files
  • JasonB
    • Oct 2005

I got a little further but I'm still stuck. I manged to use SPL trace to create an FRD of my frequency response from the Excel spreadsheet. I can view it in the SPL View program and view it as a text file in Notepad but can't get it to load in Room EQ Wizard. I tried re-naming it with a .txt extension and still no luck. I even set it to open with Room EQ Wizard, the program opens, but no measurement is on the graph. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jason

Comment

• JasonB
      • Oct 2005

IGNORE - problem solved

Went back and cleaned up the FRD file and got it to work, it had a space and zero after each SPL number, so I removed them and now it loads fine.

Jason

Comment

• Brian Bunge
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2001

Jason,

Glad to see you figured it out (I couldn't have helped you anyway!). Can you give us all the details on the sub? Driver, enclosure dims and internal volume, tuning, etc?

Comment

• JasonB
          • Oct 2005

Sub details....

Hi Brian,

I plan to post in DIY showcase once I get everything setup correctly and take some better pictures, but I'll give you the basics here.

Driver: Dayton RSS315HF
          Amp: PE BASH 500 watt
          EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer

The goal was a sub with excellent sound quality for music and that would work for home theatre use as well. I was on a tight budget (as always) and managed to get the woofer and amp both on sale from PE ($99 and $159).

The enclosure is built from 3/4" MDF with a second layer on the baffle, it has shelf braces running in two different directions and the amp has a seprate enclosure separating it from the woofers air space. It's 75 liters tuned to 23 hz by a 4" port. I plan to make a plug for the port so I can run it sealed as well. The finish is black paint with a satin sheen lacquer over top. The trim on the front is beech and paduk (evil stuff) and is finished in the same satin lacquer.

So far I'm very happy with it, I have the BFD roughly set up for now and will dial it in over the next coupler of weeks. So far it sounds great either ported or sealed. One of the main reasons I want to convert from ported to sealed is just to get a better idea of how the two enclosre types really sound. I've heard lots of sealed boxes and lots of ported boxes, the difference here is that the BFD will allow me to eq both to have very similar frequency response and any difference that I hear will be stricly due to the difference in enclosure type, it should be interesting.

Jason
          Attached Files

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

That is one V nice looking box!
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"