X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sleepyratt
    • Aug 2007

Following Sonosub Formula *some pics now*

Well I really like how Parboy's sonosub turned out so I'm basically trying to copy it.

Specs: 320Liters 24"x48" Sonotube 6x27" Port 14.5Hz Tune......
    Change of plans (a little)!

Specs: 326 Effective Liters 20"x70" Sonotube 6"x27" Port 14.5Hz Tune

Here are the Parts and budget:

Purchased:
    *20" diameter x 70" tall Sonotube ($5/ft x 4ft = $38.79)
    *Thriller Audio (6" Ring / 6"x17" / 6"x12" tube = $58.89) (eta 9/5/07)
    *TC-Sounds tc-2000 15" SVC ($270)
    *Behringer EP2500 ($227.51)
    Spray Glue ($10 * 2 = $20)
    MDF 4ftx8ft 3/4" Homedepot = $25)
    Liquid Nails (Home Depot $3)
    3" Legs x 4 (1 1/2" Poplar Dowel at Lowes $4.28 )
    RCA-> 1/4" Adapter rat shack - ($3.90)
    Paint (primer + semi gloss rattle can = $25)
    R13 - $9
    PE Binding Posts (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...umber=091-1245 - $13 eta 10/11/07)
    6' Exterior Marine Midnight Carpeting (4.27/linear ft x 6.28ft = $30)

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Total Damage (revised) = $980 -> $841.17 -> $768.68 -> $791.36 ->$728.37 OUCH!!!!

Thanks,

Ron
    Last edited by sleepyratt; 02 November 2007, 17:32 Friday.
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Forgot wire and binding posts not to mention screws and what not. Other then that looks pretty good.

Comment

• WillyD
      • Feb 2006

The carpet shouldn't cos more than ~35, tops. The legs should be much cheaper than $30. I just picked up a 1.25" poplar dowel at Home Depot and made 6 legs out of it. The dowel was very inexpensive. And even the paint/primer shouldn't run you $50, unless you're building more than one sub.

You'd be just as well to go with some R13 insulation for lining the sub. Note that lining the port-endcap is just as important (if not more than) as lining the inside of the tube itself. It is the baffle which takes the brunt of the drivers force.

Comment

• sleepyratt
        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Dougie085
        Forgot wire and binding posts not to mention screws and what not. Other then that looks pretty good.
        Thanks for the tip... anyone know where I can find something like these binding posts that are able to mount onto the 1.5" Thick MDF?

I have some pretty okay speaker cable laying around for the minimal wiring of the sub.

Thanks,

Ron

Comment

• sleepyratt
          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by WillyD
          The carpet shouldn't cos more than ~35, tops. The legs should be much cheaper than $30. I just picked up a 1.25" poplar dowel at Home Depot and made 6 legs out of it. The dowel was very inexpensive. And even the paint/primer shouldn't run you $50, unless you're building more than one sub.

You'd be just as well to go with some R13 insulation for lining the sub. Note that lining the port-endcap is just as important (if not more than) as lining the inside of the tube itself. It is the baffle which takes the brunt of the drivers force.
          Thanks for the info... I'll try to scour home depot for the dowels you mentioned. I picked up a 10% lowes coupon so I'll try to purchase everything at one time to save a little $$.

Is the R13 hard to work with? Does it fall apart easily? Spray Adhesive work fine with it? It seems that PE's acoustic foam will set me back about $46.55+ tax + shipping (7 sheets). Worth it for not having to deal with R13? Parboy's foam looked fairly easy to do.

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
            • Jan 2005

I'm in the process of building a sonosub. I'm using two of the PSP flared 4" ports which is cheaper ($27.40) than that 6" port you are looking to buy. The 6" has a slight nod in terms of total area but not enough to make an audible difference.

You can get the foam at Parts Express. I don't do fiberglass. Its just too big of a PIA to deal with. The foam sticks on easily.... no fuss. They sell the amp but you may find it cheaper elsewhere.

Wish I could find the sonotube that cheap. I'm doing a 56" tube and its something like $65 at my local store.

For the binding post... if you need to just cut an oversize hole in the first layer of 3/4" MDF with a hole saw or just jig-saw it out. That will make it so you only need to go through a single layer of MDF. I like the PE post that you tap into place. You just drill a couple 1/4" holes, run the wires out, solder them and tap them back into the holes.

Comment

• sleepyratt
              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Kevin Haskins
              I'm in the process of building a sonosub. I'm using two of the PSP flared 4" ports which is cheaper ($27.40) than that 6" port you are looking to buy. The 6" has a slight nod in terms of total area but not enough to make an audible difference.

You can get the foam at Parts Express. I don't do fiberglass. Its just too big of a PIA to deal with. The foam sticks on easily.... no fuss. They sell the amp but you may find it cheaper elsewhere.

Wish I could find the sonotube that cheap. I'm doing a 56" tube and its something like $65 at my local store.

For the binding post... if you need to just cut an oversize hole in the first layer of 3/4" MDF with a hole saw or just jig-saw it out. That will make it so you only need to go through a single layer of MDF. I like the PE post that you tap into place. You just drill a couple 1/4" holes, run the wires out, solder them and tap them back into the holes.
              Too late for me to go with the 4" port already ordered the 6"! Doh!! The good news is i modified my estimates with some formal pricing and the total end price dropped quite a bit. I'll probably go with the PE foam like you said since I don't want to deal with R13 madness.

Comment

• WillyD
                • Feb 2006

Yeah. When I bought mine I had to get a full 12' tube of it, ended up spending $115 total (including having it cut into 3 sections).

And I too used the PE binding posts that you sort of hammer into place. They work very well.

Comment

• sleepyratt
                  • Aug 2007

Yeah. When I bought mine I had to get a full 12' tube of it, ended up spending $115 total (including having it cut into 3 sections).

And I too used the PE binding posts that you sort of hammer into place. They work very well.
                  The guy on the phone from a local construction site here in San Diego gave me quick quote over the phone ($5/ft). I'll let everyone know what I get it for next weekend otd. If it's a reasonable price to get a 12' than I might just get the whole length for sonosub #2! (Dare I dream!).

Ron

Comment

• WillyD
                    • Feb 2006

If it's a reasonable price to get a 12' than I might just get the whole length for sonosub #2!
                    Aye, but it would be a bit harder finding another TC-2000, unless some folks part with theirs.

Comment

• sleepyratt
                      • Aug 2007

Aye, but it would be a bit harder finding another TC-2000, unless some folks part with theirs.
                      Very true! The real sad part is the TC-Sounds warehouse is only 2 miles from my house! It literally took me 5 minutes to drive there to pick my 15" driver up and a 12" for my friend.

Maybe I can go there and beg for another one at the same price? haha

Ron

Comment

• WillyD
                        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by sleepyratt
                        Very true! The real sad part is the TC-Sounds warehouse is only 2 miles from my house! It literally took me 5 minutes to drive there to pick my 15" driver up and a 12" for my friend.

Maybe I can go there and beg for another one at the same price? haha

Ron
                        Wow, well isn't that nice.

Your situation is obviously different from most other folks. I am sure there is a way you could get another one. Somehow, since they're so close. I know that they still have some 12" TC-2000s left, an even some 15" TC-1000s...but out of 15" TC-2000s. Oh well.

I look forward to following your sonosub build. You're following a good model (Parboy's). I really dig mine as well. 8)

Comment

• sleepyratt
                          • Aug 2007

Ep2500

Just got one (EP2500) off ebay... total $227.51.. Pretty okay price I think.. Seller said only used twice! He was also in San Diego so I'm going to pick it up (no shipping)!

New Total estimate is $768.68!

Ron

Comment

• WillyD
                            • Feb 2006

Thats great. I am not entirely surprised, as folks have picked up used ones for that price more than a few times. Thats cool you can pick it up...and nice that your Total Est keeps falling.

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Not only is it very inexpensive, fiberglass has very high absorption coefficient numbers. http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

Those into mongering paranoia think ported subs lined with fiberglass are 'cannons' shooting glass particles out into the room. Sorry folks but that's not how the air moving in a port operates.......

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• sleepyratt
                                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                Not only is it very inexpensive, fiberglass has very high absorption coefficient numbers. http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

Those into mongering paranoia think ported subs lined with fiberglass are 'cannons' shooting glass particles out into the room. Sorry folks but that's not how the air moving in a port operates.......
                                ThomasW, Thanks for the page reference. It looks like the absorption coefficients start falling drastically as the frequency lowers to 125hz. Does everyone use between 3"-4" thick R13? I'm wondering if the PE 2" foam would do much absorbing at the drastically lower frequencies we run our subs at. (That is if the Foam absorption characteristics are similar. )

As far as subs shooting glass particles out.. I also had this misconception. All I know is air goes in and out which I supposed could carry glass out? Please feel free to edumacate me here =).

I'm no stranger to working around or w/ insulation I crawl up in the attack all the time running wires / etc surrounded by it so I am willing to make the jump if the price is right!

How much have you guys paid for your subs filler?

Ron

Comment

• sleepyratt
                                  • Aug 2007

confused!!

Well, instead of following the formula like I should have done and played it safe.... I changed up the variables. I purchased a 20"x70" sonotube today and now I'm wondering if this will even work?

Can someone help me with these calculations?

I believe I am at:

360L Total vs. 356L Total for Parboy's?

I'm figuring that:

The Driver (TC-2000 15") is 3.9L

The Wood is 15.5L (20"x3")

How do I figure out my effective Volume for the Sonosub program?

Can I still tune to 14.5hz?

*Confused* I guess I should have done more research before my impulse buy!

Ron

Comment

• WillyD
                                    • Feb 2006

It will work absolutely fine.

I just checked the 20x70 tube out in the Sonosub calc program and this is what I'd do. Obviously keep the tube as is, and go with a 27" long 6" diam port. That'll end up giving you roughly 326 liters of effective volume and 14.5Hz tuning frequency.

Comment

• sleepyratt
                                      • Aug 2007

It will work absolutely fine.

I just checked the 20x70 tube out in the Sonosub calc program and this is what I'd do. Obviously keep the tube as is, and go with a 27" long 6" diam port. That'll end up giving you roughly 326 liters of effective volume and 14.5Hz tuning frequency.
                                      WillyD,

Thanks for the advice. Looks like this will work after all! I'll post some pics of the new toys I got later tonight!

Ron

Comment

• sleepyratt
                                        • Aug 2007

Pics!!!

In case you didn't know how large a 20"x70" sonotube is!! IT's big!

My EP2500!!

What cables are you guys using to connect your EP2500s? I hear some people have problems with XLR->RCA or 1/4"->RCA?
                                        Last edited by sleepyratt; 30 August 2007, 03:23 Thursday.

Comment

• zzzz
                                          • Jul 2007

In case you didn't know how large a 20"x70" sonotube is!! IT's big!

My EP2500!!

What cables are you guys using to connect your EP2500s? I hear some people have problems with XLR->RCA or 1/4"->RCA?
                                          Are you going to do the fan mods on your ep2500? There's also a resistor (I think) that can be added to reduce fan speed.

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                                            • Jan 2005

That looks great! The wife will love it.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2000

If you're going to use EQ (BFD or similar) use XLR>XLR between the amp and EQ.

From the sub out on pre/pro or receiver most people use the RCA>1/4" adapters. If you want to fab up a custom cables, those can be done with minimal cost since the frequenices where subs operate aren't sensitive to differences in cables.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• sleepyratt
                                                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by zzzz
                                                Are you going to do the fan mods on your ep2500? There's also a resistor (I think) that can be added to reduce fan speed.
                                                I'm probably going to pick up a panaflow and switch out the fan completely. I still haven't powered it on so I haven't heard how loud the fan is. I'll test her out tonight and see what i'm up against. I played around w/ the idea of putting in a potentiometer so I can adjust the fan noise to my liking on the fly.

Ron

Comment

• sleepyratt
                                                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Kevin Haskins
                                                  That looks great! The wife will love it.
                                                  gladly no wife so no (WAF) yet.

after september 8th though...... now that's a different story!

had to get the Sonosub project going before the date!

Comment

• sleepyratt
                                                    • Aug 2007

got pancakes?

Made my pancakes today... they turned out pretty okay.

Some 20 inchers and 21.5 inchers... please ignore the messy messy garage!

here are the pancakes........w/ my port on top

Here are the pancakes with my router and circle jig (can also see my r13 in the back)

again w/ a close up of my circle making machine

unfortunately i can only make circles between 13"-23" with that jig. I'll have to work on something custom to get the 8.5" and 6" port cut out!

Comment

• sleepyratt
                                                      • Aug 2007

finished priming yesterday... painted today...

Finished one coat of paint on these guys today. I'll probably do one more coat tomorrow... Slowly coming together. I just need to get off my butt and do the R13 interior and get the carpeting purchased!

Slowly but surely! I'll hopefully put everything together a test it out this weekend!

Comment

• WillyD
                                                        • Feb 2006

Lookin' good!

Comment

• sleepyratt
                                                          • Aug 2007

more progress today!

guess what this is??!

Yes it's the sonotube w/ the R13!

Stuff to do:

- Cut 3" off my port and glue it all together
                                                          - Last coat on caps and mount driver
                                                          - Attach port to top cap
                                                          - Drill, Paint and install dowels for feet
                                                          - Wiring driver, install binding posts, and seal it up!
                                                          - Hope and pray it plays =)

More to come!!

Comment

• WillyD
                                                            • Feb 2006

Yeah so...that looks like a bit too much R13. I'd probably take a 1/3rd of it out. We'll see what ThomasW says.

Comment

• sleepyratt
                                                              • Aug 2007

I was worried about that... The last piece I put in there is a little thicker than the rest. I'll look at it again tomorrow and see if I can peel off some.

I know Thomas has said "way too much" before on someone else's build thread...we'll see if he peeks in here.
                                                              Last edited by sleepyratt; 12 October 2007, 02:08 Friday.

Comment

• sleepyratt
                                                                • Aug 2007

close but no cigar!!!

I tried my hardest to finish this weekend but no joy!!!

port is installed

carpet is on... needs a vacuum from rolling it on the floor!

driver is installed

i brain farted and didn't line up the binding posts so i had to run it along the side!!! DAMNIT!

yes it is still not done..... why you say?

because i tried and tried to get my caps installed but to no joy!! I tried hammering i tried putting my whole weight on it. Nothing would work. So I've decided to try to sand down the sides tomorrow in hopes of having an easier time getting it in!

Wish me luck!

Comment

• sleepyratt
                                                                  • Aug 2007

All Done!!!

Well i finally got the lids on... everything wired up to the ep2500... only 1 channel for now...

Unfortunately after I played WOTW i feel sick now. Maybe i played it a little too loud!

Will report back again! After more movie watching!!

Ron

Comment

• WillyD
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Feb 2006

Fantastic.

Comment

• sleepyratt
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Aug 2007

Well I have fully recovered and have listened to a good amount of content. I have to say I am very impressed at the subsonic range and musicality of the sub. I can't believe how well it blends with music. I wasn't sure what to expect on that front.

I'll post more feedback tomorrow... the neighbors and wife might kill me if I keep playing stuff.

Ron

Comment

• sleepyratt
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • Aug 2007

finish pic

Thought it would be proper to post a completed pic....

Here it is in my corner... The sub is so tall it obstructs the rear right speaker!

Comment

• NateTTU
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jul 2007

I too have a TC-2000 15'' sub and will try to build a sonotube. However, I'm going to be looking for a 22 or 24'' tube as that is way way too high for me to handle. Also, I was planning on tunning to 16Hz or there abouts to help "minimize" the size. I like that you got an ep2500, I thought of getting the ep1500 but would that be enough or would i need something with more power like the 2500?

Comment

• sleepyratt
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • Aug 2007
                                                                            • 22

Originally posted by NateTTU
                                                                            I too have a TC-2000 15'' sub and will try to build a sonotube. However, I'm going to be looking for a 22 or 24'' tube as that is way way too high for me to handle. Also, I was planning on tunning to 16Hz or there abouts to help "minimize" the size. I like that you got an ep2500, I thought of getting the ep1500 but would that be enough or would i need something with more power like the 2500?

I believe one channel on the ep2500 is plenty of power. When I bridge and set the amp to about half power everything in my room shakes so bad that I can't even watch a movie normally. All the speakers rattle on their wall mounts. Not only that but my custom projector wallmount is attached to the wall and when the sub hits the projector shakes so bad that the picture on my screen shakes!

If you want wall tearing bass then you can't beat it for the price though =)

The built-in 30hz low pass filter is enabled by default. If you listen to mostly music and keep this filter on it keeps the sub a lot tamer.

I keep it off and let the beast take the full range.

Good luck on your build!

Ron

Comment

Working...
                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                            Search Result for "|||"