X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnmonk
    • Nov 2005

MMTMM Center channel posibility.

Hello.

I have built the CJD / Brian RS 3-ways, and am finally ready to build my center channel.

My hopes for size are 10 inches tall, 30 inches wide max and less than 19 inches deep.

I would think with that big of a box, i have alot of possibilities.

I was thinking of 4 RS 180's and an RS28?

Im just looking for something to fit well with the RS 3-ways

Thoughts anyone???

John
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

You know, those are somewhat similar dimensions to what I'm limited too. 11x24x19. Once CJD and I get the Khanspire's finished (very similar to yours), I was planning on asking him to do a matching center design. I've been contemplating a RS28/RS150/RS180 WMTW center. CJD also has mused about a dozen differnt center designs. We just need to get him the box and drivers to do the testing and I think anything is possible. (We're so very fortunate to have such a giving person as CJD and others around here.) There's some discussion about this towards the end of the Khanspire thread.

The new JonMarsh Modula NeoCC should also be similar.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Brian Bunge
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2001

Too bad you can't go 11.5"H. I built Chris' version of the WTMW, which is 11.5"H x 28"W x 18"D and it matches the big 3-ways very well. I can tell you though, 80lb. center channels are a real bitch to move around.

Comment

• johnmonk
        • Nov 2005

Yes.. too bad i cant go that high...

I measured again.. 10" is the max, about 9 3/4 would be really the highest i would want to go.

Comment

• sprint_9
          • Jul 2007

[QUOTE=---k---]CJD also has mused about a dozen differnt center designs. We just need to get him the box and drivers to do the testing and I think anything is possible. (We're so very fortunate to have such a giving person as CJD and others around here.)[QUOTE]

I think C has something in mind for a 2.5 way center with 4 woofers, he has started some work on it but I dont know how far he is, but Im sure he will elaborate some. I think that design would match up well for my space as well and look good below a 16.9 tv.

I agree that we are fortunate to have super people like CJD, Jon Marsh, and Jim Holtz as well as countless others, these 3 have really helped me out with some newb questions through PM's and I really cant thank them and everyone on the board enough, this really is a great place.

Comment

• johnmonk
            • Nov 2005

Well... CJD.. what do you think about a 4 RS 180 / RS150 /RS28 center???

Just throwing it out there..

Since center can be so important to a home theater... can never have too many drivers....

John

Comment

• cjd
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Dec 2004

Yeah, WMTMW with RS180/RS150/RS28A might be do-able, but there are still center-to-center concerns on the tweeter/mids. No more than my MTM, so it just limits off-axis dispersion to 20 degrees or so. Perhaps sufficient. As mentioned, at the moment I need a box and drivers to work with - my budget for projects like this is on hold until the financials market stabilises (I'm a contractor, my wife works for HSBC in their consumer lending division...) in fact, I'm pondering such a design all around in my HT, when I am able to upgrade there. I'm pondering a lot of things though, and most are slow.

I do have a viable 2.5 way with 4 RS150's sketched out, based on my MTM.

I'm not confident in PE's published RS180 data or I'd sketch some other options with that.

C
              diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ---k---
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2005

I'm willing to build the box and buy the drivers for a project, but it just isn't going to come together for a couple of months. I need a little recovery time in between projects to get projects for the wife done, etc...
                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• sprint_9
                  • Jul 2007

Yea I know how time and money can come into play, going though a move next week and just out of college with subpar job and no tool inventory of my own (though I have plenty of my relatives tools available) its going to be some time before I pull the trigger on some projects. Atleast I can read and learn about great projects in progess.

Comment

• johnmonk
                    • Nov 2005

Well... what about taking an existing MTM (Natalie P for example), and adding 2 more RS180's maybe even ported or something?

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but the RS180's in the 3ways (cjd's design) sound great..

so a WMTMW with the woofers and mids being the same drivers? Is is possible?

Comment

• cjd
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Dec 2004

You can't simply add two more drivers, for sure. Takes a crossover re-work. I have the stuff to work this on my MTM, which is why I've experimented there to see how it would work. Jon *Might* be able to put a 2.5 way variant together as he has the data files, but the Nat P isn't really suited to horizontal placement either. No MTM is, really. It's not really that good a design choice.

C

Comment

• johnmonk
                        • Nov 2005

That makes sense. Ill shut up now and let you do what you do. I was only going that way cause i have 4 RS180's and and actually 2 RS28a's.

Thanks

John

Comment

• 1Michael
                          • Sep 2006

John, how about some pictures of those RS 3ways? I am in the long process of building those myself. Please please please.
                          Michael
                          Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• johnmonk
                            • Nov 2005

I will take some when i get back home.. I am in the middle of vacation and travel, i wont be home for 11 more days...

John

Comment

• sprint_9
                              • Jul 2007

Damn thats a nice long vacation

Comment

• johnmonk
                                • Nov 2005

I wish.. I was able to take a week in between 2 buisness trips.. So.. a week with the wife in San Diego last week.. now 10 more days of meetings...

John

Comment

• cjd
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Dec 2004

Wait... vacation... posting here...

what's wrong with this picture?! You're supposed to post here while you're at work! (or in my case, on the train home after a loooong day)

Comment

• sprint_9
                                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by cjd
                                    Wait... vacation... posting here...

what's wrong with this picture?! You're supposed to post here while you're at work! (or in my case, on the train home after a loooong day)

:lol: Yea the people at work always wonder what Im doing on my long breaks :rofl:

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"