Upgrading crossover components of store-bought speakers.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Exocer
    • Feb 2006

Upgrading crossover components of store-bought speakers.

Has anyone ever successfully upgraded the components of a store bought speaker?

The reason I ask is because the NHT SB-2's seem to use very good quality drivers...not entirely sure but the tweeter seems to be a Seas tweeter and im not too sure about the mid.

The crossover itself appears to be made up of just 2 capacitors, 3 resistors and 2 almost microscopic inductors. One inductor an Iron core, the other is actually a relatively small air core inductor.

So, instead of building a pair of DIY speakers for the PC, I thought it may make sense to take these SB-2s i have laying around and improve upon their already very decent performance.

My guess is the standard dayton/solen caps would be a major upgrade from those currently found in the speaker. Mills resistors and maybe some 18ga perfect lay inductors would be cool as well... Anyone think this is worth doing? (assuming I can find the exact values of everythuing in the current crossover?)
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

Be aware that changing inductors to ones with significantly different DC resistance will change the operation of the crossover.

Kal
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Exocer
      • Feb 2006

Yes indeed. Well aware :T

Comment

• Jed
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Exocer
        Has anyone ever successfully upgraded the components of a store bought speaker?

Dennis' design above.

Comment

• Rick Craig
          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Exocer
          Yes indeed. Well aware :T
          Small electrolytics can also have high ESR (series resistance) so keep that in mind if you the stock caps aren't film caps. I've modified B&W and Monitor Audio speakers that needed extra padding on the tweeter level after the caps were replaced.

Comment

• Jed
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Rick Craig
            Small electrolytics can also have high ESR (series resistance) so keep that in mind if you the stock caps aren't film caps. I've modified B&W and Monitor Audio speakers that needed extra padding on the tweeter level after the caps were replaced.
            Wow, those "hi-end" companies are using electrolytics in tweeter circuits!?? :gah:

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"