X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • subynube
    • Apr 2007

Problem with dayton reference drivers

I recently built my NatP's, but realized there may be a problem with one of the RS 180's.

When I manually (gently) press in the cone on one of the drivers, I feel a crunch, and the other ones are smooth as butter. I was just feeling them to see how the excursion and stiffness of the suspension was, and felt a crunch on only one of them. Other than that, they work fine and sound fine. Any ideas?

Thanks for all the help folks
  • sprint_9
    • Jul 2007

How far in are you pushing the cone?

Comment

• subynube
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by sprint_9
      How far in are you pushing the cone?

Hardly at all, maybe 2-3 mm.

Comment

• Dennis H
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2002

Yup, bad driver. PE is pretty good about replacing them assuming you didn't break it.

Comment

• sprint_9
          • Jul 2007

You mention that they work and sound fine, does the one that cruches sound fine also?

Comment

• subynube
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by sprint_9
            You mention that they work and sound fine, does the one that cruches sound fine also?

From what I can tell it sounds fine. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

• joecarrow
              • Apr 2005

2-3 mm of excursion would be moderately loud for a lot of non-LFE material; does it crunch right away, or after a while? It might get abruptly worse at a drive level that you're not yet reaching during playback. I agree, it sounds like it would be good to replace.
              -Joe Carrow

Comment

• Landroval
                • Dec 2005

Sounds like the voice coil is hitting the magnet walls. Have you tried to play very low test tones (e.g. 20Hz) to make the cones move but with little sound coming from them? If you hear something unusual even with low volumes, it has a defect.

Comment

• sprint_9
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Landroval
                  Sounds like the voice coil is hitting the magnet walls. Have you tried to play very low test tones (e.g. 20Hz) to make the cones move but with little sound coming from them? If you hear something unusual even with low volumes, it has a defect.
                  This is what I was thinking also with the voice coil. Id call PE and see what they say.

Comment

• AJINFLA
                    • Mar 2005

During construction, did you take care to make sure no debris got down into the gap? Unlike a driver with a dust cap, phase plug drivers like the RS are susceptible to this, so care must be taken, especially with sawdust flying around.

cheers,

AJ
                    Manufacturer

Comment

• subynube
                      • Apr 2007

Well, I havent played low test tones to assess the problem. I just took out the driver and replaced it with another new one I had laying around. I boxed it up and will contact PE.
                      I also really doubt that saw dust or debris got into the driver, but I guess it is possible.
                      So, really, the only thing I know is that the "defective" one crunches with manual pressure and the other ones are totally smooth. So there must be a problem somewhere. Either way, not a big deal. Thanks again for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"