X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Finleyville
    • Sep 2006

Peerless/Vifa TG9 projects?

Has anyone used these in a home project? I have these in my car and they sound fantastic. You really do not need to use a tweet with this driver as all. You can see driver information HERE. They also come in shielded 8 ohm and shielded 4 ohm for dual use.

My car's setup is HERE.
    BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.
  • Finleyville
    • Sep 2006

I guess no one has used these in a published home set-up. Too bad I am too busy to do it myself.

Comment

• Gerald Jansen
      • Sep 2005

The german Hobbyhifi magazine posted a Pico Lino 2 in the latest issue. 8 Ohm version loaded with TL:

Some 5 years ago I build myself the Pico Lino that used a 3" yellow kevlar Vifa driver. I use that as PC speakers and like them very much.

HH claims the new series outperform the "old" drivers.

Comment

• Sam
        • Nov 2006

I've recently finished the Picolino 2 using the 4 ohm unshielded version. Have not used the passive crossover though, only active tweaking through a behringer dcx-2496.

Even without a filter the sound is quite balanced at least in a well damped quite large listening room. Overall they sound considerably better from top to bottom than the tb w3-871s i've tried earlier in both vented and closed enclosures .So, have to say i'm quite impressed with the sound although maximum spl is limited on some recordings.

Comment

• Finleyville
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Sam
          So, have to say i'm quite impressed with the sound although maximum spl is limited on some recordings.
          Thanks for the reply.

I believe that is the only downfall of these little drivers - lack of SPL. In the nearfield it is not that important. I think these would do very well in a line array.

BTW, where do you have set your highpass filter on these? In my car I can run them down to 250Hz but have them set at ~350Hz.

Comment

• Sam
            • Nov 2006

I think that the transmissionline construction stresses the TG9 alot less than a closed or vented, excursion is pretty well controlled, even as the play down to about 45-50 Hz in room. This was a surprise since i haven't built any transmissionline speakers before.
            So for now i run them fullrange, but as said with limited spl on certain recordings, but have to consider that the room is about 40 square meters and i have the speakers set up in one end of the room.
            In a smaller, less damped room they will probably play much louder with all kinds of music.
            So far i consider the TG9 a bargain even if it costs almost twice as much as the Tangband W3

Comment

• Finleyville
              • Sep 2006

Sam,

How did you get the plans for the speakers? Did you use the above link? Did you buy the enclosures pre-assembled? I really would love to use these in a project. Thanks.

Comment

• Sam
                • Nov 2006

I subscribe to the magazine so that's where i got the plans. The boxes i made from some scrap MDF i had laying around

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"