X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sprint_9
    • Jul 2007

Thoughts on the Dayton PT2C-8

Just wondering what some of you guys that know way more then I do think on the Dayton PT2C-8. Ive been kind of throwing around ideas of a project with it and want to see what experts on the subject think. A couple ideas I have are to use it as a line in my L&R but still carry it over into the rest of the surround sound too so as to have a matched speaker set. Any thoughts are welcome as this is just preliminary thinking that I would atleast like to go over before I build something already proven on here. Thanks.

link http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=275-085
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Go look at the distortion test results for the Yago ribbon at Zaph Audio- it's basically the same part. Not recommended, unfortunately. You'd be much better of with a Fountek Neo2CD, which naturally, costs more.

It's totally outperformed as a tweeter by the Peerless D26CN55, which is about $30.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Gir
      • Dec 2006

From what I've been told, they're not very good on their own, but stack 8-12 of them on top of each other and you'll have a great line array. As for surround duty, not so much. Personally, I wouldn't worry about matching the speakers that much since those tweets just aren't that good on their own.
      -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• sprint_9
        • Jul 2007

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I stick with something more proven like the RS28 or Seas H1212, unless ofcoarse I go with a line but I doubt it, wishfull thinking lol.

Comment

• Landroval
          • Dec 2005

Check this out: http://www.sunfire.com/CR.htm

Sunfire is using them with 1,5kHz XO with two sidefiring long-throw midwoofers. High SPL, but distortion is probably bad. Although Mr. Carver wouldn't release something that's total c**p?

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Well, you know, there's crap, then there's total crap. And in between, there's just somewhat worse crap. :W

Competitor "Y"

Competitor "P"

The magenta and gray are high order harmonics- 4th and 5th. Which do you want to listen to?

Energy storage- Cumulative Spectral Decay Plots (CSD)

Competitor "Y"

Competitor "P"

Thanks to John Krutke
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Gir
              • Dec 2006

Sprint9, don't let this deter you from building a line array if you have the budget. This is pretty much why they're only used in line arrays; every time you add a new driver, all the drivers together work less to produce the same SPL. If I understand correctly it's pretty much a linear relationship, so 8 of the PT2C's will be 1/8 of the distortion. I guess this depends if distortion is a linear function, but either way having a bunch of these drivers together can really rock. Just ask Thylantyr! I'm sure he'll be chiming in soon - he knows his line arrays.
              -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Unfortunately, drivers don't necessarily have a linear relationship of SPL level to distortion. Generally there's a range within about 25% of Xmax where the driver will be most linear, especially if the BL curve isn't very flat. But driver motors and suspension can have considerable non-linearities even around the "rest" point. I have seen this in my tests of subwoofers, some even claiming to have XBL^2 motors, which didn't fare well at 2.83 VRMS or 4 VRMS, much less 10 VRMS. If you want to go ribbon, there are better choices, but they do cost more. It's a long term investment if you build a speaker like that- making the right choices early in the process make in more likely you'll be satisfied.

I also believe from Sprint's comments that he was considering something more like the Sunfire speakers, not like Jim Griffin's original line array design.
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Obi-Wan
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Mazeroth
                  • Nov 2004

Jon,

How would you feel about a line of 10 crossed to a 3" full-range at around 3khz?

Also, I just spoke with Mike V at Parts Express about the new "C" version that's coming out and it's supposed to be better damped and have a flatter frequency response. Emphasis on supposed to.

Comment

• Dennis H
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2002

Just ask Thylantyr! I'm sure he'll be chiming in soon - he knows his line arrays.
                    People have been asking Thy for some measurements for years. No joy so far. Apparently he doesn't believe in measuring speakers although he seems to believe that measuring an amp's max continuous power is very important.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Mazeroth
                      Jon,

How would you feel about a line of 10 crossed to a 3" full-range at around 3khz?

Also, I just spoke with Mike V at Parts Express about the new "C" version that's coming out and it's supposed to be better damped and have a flatter frequency response. Emphasis on supposed to.
                      I'd feel better about a line of 8 or 10 NeoCD2.0, but then I have a pile of Fountek boxes, so I guess I've voted with my money... :W

Don't get me wrong, it's a free country, and I understand the money thing involved here... Thomas and I tried the progenitor of the PE part, and didn't like it at all at 3 kHz and up.
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Obi-Wan
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• sprint_9
                        • Jul 2007

I was thinking about a line for LR and then something like the sunfire for the rest. But for the money and after reading Jim's reviews on his Statements I may just go with them down the road, unless something else catches my eye or is better suited for my wallet like the Mini Statements or Reference WWMT.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"