Budget $400. Suggestions for a subwoofer driver for $150???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eric S
    • Sep 2000

Thanks, Thomas! Just ordered a set of 4 of these. They look like great drivers! Looking back over the years - you've been a very bad influence on me for spending my money :B
    My DIY Theater Projects

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by littlesaint
      Isn't that Qts on the high side for a ported box?
      Yes, but as posted earlier try and find something better for $$$....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• zzzz
        • Jul 2007

Just went ahead and ordered the xj 15 and also the nady xa-900.

Giddy up!

Comment

• zzzz
          • Jul 2007

-k-

Here's an inter-comparison between the xj 15 at 200W tuned to 15, 17 and 18.5 Hz per your request.

All look good to me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Memory SPL.gif
Views:	213
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	849218
          Last edited by theSven; 30 July 2023, 15:11 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

It's behaving more like a sealed box- notice the consistent peaking at 40 Hz, and tuning below 20 is only the stuff down there. Not necessarily a bad thing, but what does it look like sealed the same size box?
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• zzzz
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by JonMarsh
              It's behaving more like a sealed box- notice the consistent peaking at 40 Hz, and tuning below 20 is only the stuff down there. Not necessarily a bad thing, but what does it look like sealed the same size box?
              I added a 300 L sealed box to the graph. More output all across the board.

Views:	215
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	849219
              Last edited by theSven; 30 July 2023, 15:11 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• zzzz
                • Jul 2007

Does this imply I may be better off with a sealed box, than ported?

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                  • Jan 2005

Damn that's nice driver even for twice the price! 27 mm Xmax AND 89 dB/watt? I presume that's with both VC wired in parallel. Q is perfect for IB or dipole. And it's supposed to be a low inductance XBL^2 motor? Too bad Le wasn't spec'd.

Its about 1.1mH @ 1K. Of course inductance is one of those things that is most meaningful if you look at the Klippel & over a range of frequencies. You really need a 3D graph to represent the inductance curve.

I hope they have this around for a while... even though it is a limited production run item. I can imagine wanting 4 right off the bat - if the first one tests out right.
                  We will have something that has parameters like the Tempest within 60-90 days. Same motor.... different suspension and the parameters fall into "Tempest-Like" parameters which works great for IB applications also.

Price will be $175-$195 range so they will still be an attractive value proposition but will fit more applications. (ie.. sealed, ported, IB or dipole).

I also have a pretty cool measurement, PEQ, variable filter tool that is 90 days out. It plugs into your PC via USB cable and allows you to measure your room (included microphone), view the response, operate 3-5 PEQ bands, variable subsonic filter, variable high-pass filter, Linkwitz transform, dipole EQ phase... etc...

We are knee deep in software testing and final pricing isn't firm but expect the $300-$400 range for a tool that allows almost infinite adjustment of filter functions (very accurate ones at that) and complete software manipulation for some really cool home install like subs. All of this is done analog rather than DSP also.... :-)

Comment

• Dean100
                    • Jan 2007

Wondering what the smallest sealed box one would consider using with this driver. Assuming I would power it with however much I power I need to throw at it.

Looking at building my daughter a subwoofer for her bedroom for music use and then she can use it in a larger room later on in life.

Really would like to keep the size down somewhat. Or should I look at different drivers?

Comment

• ---k---
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Nov 2005

You're plot with the sealed isn't correct. I think you hit save on the ported box. See the wiggle at around ~200hz, that is the port resonance.

I think I like the 17hz tune the best of those presented, but it is such a minor difference that this is more slot car racing talk.

Try again with the sealed.

And note, we'll be recommending that you run the amp as: "900W bridged mono @ 4 ohms"
                      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Kyle Richardson
                        • Aug 2000

Dean100 - If you're looking for a small bedroom sub then the 12" may even end up being too large for her and I wouldnt even look at the 15"

As Thomas mentioned eariler, Sound Solutions Audio does not make these drivers and is just a site where I have a forum. Kevin at DIY ordered these as the Exodus drivers but they missed the parameters a bit so instead of sending them back we're selling them at a great price.

The 15's have proven to be very popular because they are ideal IB and dipole drivers and you simply cannot beat the low price.

Comment

• zzzz
                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by ---k---
                          You're plot with the sealed isn't correct. I think you hit save on the ported box. See the wiggle at around ~200hz, that is the port resonance.

I think I like the 17hz tune the best of those presented, but it is such a minor difference that this is more slot car racing talk.

Try again with the sealed.

And note, we'll be recommending that you run the amp as: "900W bridged mono @ 4 ohms"
                          You were correct Sir. I did save a ported box and advertise it as a sealed box. I attach what I hope is the updated plot.

Respect!

Views:	217
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	849220

Comment

• ThomasW
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dean100
                            Wondering what the smallest sealed box one would consider using with this driver. Assuming I would power it with however much I power I need to throw at it.

Looking at building my daughter a subwoofer for her bedroom for music use and then she can use it in a larger room later on in life.

Really would like to keep the size down somewhat. Or should I look at different drivers?
                            If used with a Linkwitz-Transform circuit these could be put in a pretty small box..

If you want a driver to work in a tiny box look at car audio drivers that have a very low Vas.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• jdybnis
                              • Dec 2004

zzzz,

My instinct here is to go with a smaller box to reduce that peak at 40Hz, and raise the tuning frequency to about 22Hz to get more output between 20Hz and 30Hz.
                              -Josh

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                Mad Max Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Kevin Haskins
                                Its about 1.1mH @ 1K. Of course inductance is one of those things that is most meaningful if you look at the Klippel & over a range of frequencies. You really need a 3D graph to represent the inductance curve.

We will have something that has parameters like the Tempest within 60-90 days. Same motor.... different suspension and the parameters fall into "Tempest-Like" parameters which works great for IB applications also.

Price will be $175-$195 range so they will still be an attractive value proposition but will fit more applications. (ie.. sealed, ported, IB or dipole).

I also have a pretty cool measurement, PEQ, variable filter tool that is 90 days out. It plugs into your PC via USB cable and allows you to measure your room (included microphone), view the response, operate 3-5 PEQ bands, variable subsonic filter, variable high-pass filter, Linkwitz transform, dipole EQ phase... etc...

We are knee deep in software testing and final pricing isn't firm but expect the $300-$400 range for a tool that allows almost infinite adjustment of filter functions (very accurate ones at that) and complete software manipulation for some really cool home install like subs. All of this is done analog rather than DSP also.... :-)

Thanks for the update, Kevin- for my immediate applications, "these" are the ones that are perfect. Ordered two today. Will be interested to see how the EQ system works out- sounds like a very useful approach.

~Jon
                                the AudioWorx
                                Natalie P
                                M8ta
                                Modula Neo DCC
                                Modula MT XE
                                Modula Xtreme
                                Isiris
                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                Minerva Monitor
                                Calliope
                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                Obi-Wan
                                Modula PWB
                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                Natalie P Ultra
                                Natalie P Supreme
                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• zzzz
                                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by jdybnis
                                  zzzz,

My instinct here is to go with a smaller box to reduce that peak at 40Hz, and raise the tuning frequency to about 22Hz to get more output between 20Hz and 30Hz.
                                  Thanks Josh, that move (to me, a newbie) would reduce the spl somewhat and the extension below 20 Hz (don't have excel at home, so I cannot model it), but would it really improve the sq?

Comment

• zzzz
                                    • Jul 2007

I'll definately give that a whizz.. should be plenty o power for that, but I don't know if it would help at the 55 - 75 db volume we typically listen at? Maybe the extra power would allow more low frequency extension?

Comment

• jdybnis
                                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by zzzz
                                      Thanks Josh, that move (to me, a newbie) would reduce the spl somewhat and the extension below 20 Hz (don't have excel at home, so I cannot model it), but would it really improve the sq?
                                      I would say yes, smoother rolloff will improve sound quality. And you will gain a lot more from the extra headroom than you will from an extra few Hz of extension. I believe anything you do to get a flat response, and a smooth rolloff will give you tighter sounding bass. If you are using eq you can optimize for something else and then flatten out the response electronically. But ultimately, targeting a smooth flat response, there is a tradeoff between low frequency extension and maximum spl. Right now you are way at the low frequency extension end of the spectrum. The thing is that it's tough to hear the difference between 15Hz and 20Hz, and even at maximum output, a single one of these drivers probably can't push enough air to play a 15hz tone loud enough to feel/hear. Remember 20Hz is the "threshold of hearing".
                                      -Josh

Comment

• ---k---
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2005

I would do the ported. I've done both with the SS RL-p15

Because:
                                        1) You said that this is 90% HT. Ported will give you a lot more shake. It makes movies more fun.
                                        2) Your budget doesn't allow for LT or even really simple parametric EQ which people keep suggesting for use with sealed.
                                        3) Sealed sounds better, but man ported can sound really good too. I found the difference to be small and not a big issue to me. Maybe if I had them back to back and was super critical. How picky are you? You don't sound to me like you're ready to pick out the subtle differences between the ported and sealed configurations you've plotted. Discussing the differences is basically just sport for internet forums.
                                        4) I just enjoy my ported subs better. And I think that 17.5 hz tune looks great. Flat to ~40hz and then gentle roll-off like a sealed (as Jon pointed out). We'll have to be careful with statements like that, or we'll be sounding like someone from the past.
                                        - Ryan

Comment

• ---k---
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Nov 2005

I just realized, this is really a no-brainer. We're talking about the same size box. Build the ported, then stuff a nerf football in it to go sealed. For extra party game fun, drive the sub really really hard and see if you can pop the football out.

For a more elegant solution than a nerf, do a search for Kingdaddy's sub. He has some kind of valve on his port.
                                          - Ryan

Comment

• zzzz
                                            • Jul 2007

Thanks for the input Ryan!

I'm going with the ported 300 L box at 17Hz. Graphs attached. They look fine to me, and I have the space for a 33 x 33 x 18 (h x w x d) box behind the couch.

I'll probably get a fresh bout of upgraditis and get myself the BFD at Christmastime.

I'll go ahead and hits Lowe's today to get the MDF and have them cut. Then to get/borrow a jig saw to cut out circles and braces and I'm laughing!

Many thanks to all, for the advice and input.

Oh - quick question - how do the excursion and air port speed look? Worried about the air speed and excursion below 20 hz. Thanks!

Name:	VB Response Exodus XJ-15.gif
Views:	157
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	849222

Name:	VB Excursion Exodus XJ-15.gif
Views:	153
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	849223

Name:	VB PortAirSpeed Exodus XJ-15.gif
Views:	154
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	849224

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                              • Aug 2000

:-)
                                              Sounds quite nice- I understand the fallacy about a single inductance figure, but it helps get a first order approximation. A re-tune with properties closer to a Tempest with this build quality and sensitivity could still be pretty useful... but as is these seem literally "perfect" for what I want. Might have to pop for a couple more.
                                              the AudioWorx
                                              Natalie P
                                              M8ta
                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                              Modula MT XE
                                              Modula Xtreme
                                              Isiris
                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                              Minerva Monitor
                                              Calliope
                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                              Obi-Wan
                                              Modula PWB
                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                                                • Jan 2005

Sounds quite nice- I understand the fallacy about a single inductance figure, but it helps get a first order approximation. A re-tune with properties closer to a Tempest with this build quality and sensitivity could still be pretty useful... but as is these seem literally "perfect" for what I want. Might have to pop for a couple more.
                                                Jon,

Looking back over the motor parameters, the VC's in parallel should be 0.9mH @ 1K with the cone fixed in the center position. We use an aluminum shorting ring to control the inductance over the throw of the driver so it looks good over the entire range of travel.

For those who had problems with our web site yesterday, I apologize. Our host updated their security and it was giving us trouble with our sessions tracking. All is fixed now....

Also... I'm not trying to be a used car salesman but these drivers are going to be history very soon. If you want them... I'd get them now.

Comment

• littlesaint
                                                  • Jul 2007

Jon,

Looking back over the motor parameters, the VC's in parallel should be 0.9mH @ 1K with the cone fixed in the center position. We use an aluminum shorting ring to control the inductance over the throw of the driver so it looks good over the entire range of travel.

For those who had problems with our web site yesterday, I apologize. Our host updated their security and it was giving us trouble with our sessions tracking. All is fixed now....

Also... I'm not trying to be a used car salesman but these drivers are going to be history very soon. If you want them... I'd get them now.
                                                  Do my eyes deceive me, or did the price go up since yesterday?

EDIT: I also see free shipping now, so I guess it's mostly a wash depending on where you live.
                                                  Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• zzzz
                                                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by littlesaint
                                                    Do my eyes deceive me, or did the price go up since yesterday?

EDIT: I also see free shipping now, so I guess it's mostly a wash depending on where you live.
                                                    Hey no fair!!! I lost $2.50 as a result

Oh well. :lol:

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                                                      • Jan 2005

Hey no fair!!! I lost $2.50 as a result

Oh well. :lol:
                                                      Yes... our shopping cart was giving us troubles. It would see the order as one package which helped the customer (one package is cheaper than many) but at 40lbs each shipping weight we quickly went over UPS minimums. It wouldn't allow customers to check out with more than two drivers.

So.... we changed the weight to 0.1lb each and rolled an average shipping price into the total. The guys on the east coast get a better deal and west coast guys get the shaft.

Comment

• ---k---
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Nov 2005

Oh - quick question - how do the excursion and air port speed look? Worried about the air speed and excursion below 20 hz. Thanks!
                                                        As long as your graphs are accurate, they look great.

You're excursion won't be exceeded until under 10hz. This is excellent. I don't think you'll be able to bottom the sub under normal conditions. Just go easy the first few times you run something like War of the Worlds with that 5hz signal.

The port speed is also very good. that red line is the theoretical limit for noise. You're under it, and at the max is very low in the frequency range where it is more difficult to hear.

You're excursion and port speed both look better than my big sub, so I think you'll be fine on both.
                                                        - Ryan

Comment

• yousuredo2
                                                          • Jun 2006

not trying to thread Jack:
                                                          But can anyone tell me what size box would be optimal for this driver(sealed or Ported).
                                                          I have room for a relatively large box, 30" cube end table, or sonotube(are these good for down firing).

I am just wondering if i should get one of these now...(low funds at the moment)
                                                          or wait and get the 15" sound splinter later...(when funds are better)
                                                          My System
                                                          ~ BenQ w5000 DLP 1080p Projector
                                                          ~ Sony Bravia SXRD KDS-60A3000
                                                          ~ Onkyo tx sr805
                                                          ~ Sony PS.3
                                                          ~ Xbox 360
                                                          ~ Natalie P's Main L/R
                                                          ~ Polk Csi A6 -Center
                                                          ~ Polk RTi6 Rears
                                                          ~ Behringer ep2500
                                                          ~ Behringer Fbq 2496

Comment

• littlesaint
                                                            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by yousuredo2
                                                            not trying to thread Jack:
                                                            But can anyone tell me what size box would be optimal for this driver(sealed or Ported).
                                                            I have room for a relatively large box, 30" cube end table, or sonotube(are these good for down firing).

I am just wondering if i should get one of these now...(low funds at the moment)
                                                            or wait and get the 15" sound splinter later...(when funds are better)
                                                            Unibox numbers are ~20 cubic feet sealed and ~30 cubic feet ported. :E
                                                            Santino

Comment

• ---k---
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Nov 2005

but, as we can see a 300L ported models quite well. So, it isn't that straight forward. I don't have time to model it a 30" cube up right now. Unibox is free, and isn't that difficult to learn.
                                                              - Ryan

Comment

• zzzz
                                                                • Jul 2007

As long as your graphs are accurate, they look great.

You're excursion won't be exceeded until under 10hz. This is excellent. I don't think you'll be able to bottom the sub under normal conditions. Just go easy the first few times you run something like War of the Worlds with that 5hz signal.

The port speed is also very good. that red line is the theoretical limit for noise. You're under it, and at the max is very low in the frequency range where it is more difficult to hear.

You're excursion and port speed both look better than my big sub, so I think you'll be fine on both.

Thanks for your comments Ryan. I thought the graphs looked OK, but after only a few days of tinkering with unibox I was somewhat unsure.

Comment

• whoaru99
                                                                  • Jul 2004

What would be the power requirement to run four of the XJ-15 to max performance in an IB setup and the resultant FR and SPL?

Room size is about 12x24.
                                                                  There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Aug 2000

Punch the drivers T/S parameters into your favorite box modeling program. Set the sealed box size to the largest one the program setting allows.

IBs are excursion limited instead of thermal limited, so increase the power until you see what power level it takes for them to hit Xmax.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• whoaru99
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                                                      Punch the drivers T/S parameters into your favorite box modeling program.
                                                                      I don't have one - a modeling program, that is.
                                                                      There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Aug 2000

Unibox and WinISD pro alpha are freeware.

Links for both are in here...
                                                                        Last edited by theSven; 30 July 2023, 15:07 Sunday. Reason: Update htguide url

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• whoaru99
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jul 2004

Thanks.

I will try one, or both.

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• whoaru99
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jul 2004
                                                                            • 638

How would I know if the results I have are correct (considering four XJ-15)?

F3=30Hz??

Max power= ~620W@10Hz??

SPL = ~108dB @ 10Hz, ~124dB @80Hz??

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                                                              • Aug 2000
                                                                              • 15311

#83
                                                                              Got Woofers?

Name:	XJ-15-1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	946508

Considering the target is an upgraded Tempest, this is a pretty nice looking driver in the flesh. The surround and suspension do not look like 25-27 mm Xmax components- (not comparable to my Stryke HE-15 or BPD1203's), but they look like what you'd expect on a solid 20-22 mm Xmax unit, with very good build quality.

I don't have any way to do DUMAX or Kippel type measurements.

When I'm back from my business travel I'll setup a test baffle and do swept sine distortion measurements at 4V RMS and 10V RMS. You might be surprised at what levels of distortion I've seen in a lot of subwoofers at that relatively "modest" drive level. For now, initial impressions and a quick frequency sweep suggest they're work nicely for one of my dipole projects.

~Jon
                                                                              Last edited by theSven; 30 July 2023, 15:09 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                              the AudioWorx
                                                                              Natalie P
                                                                              M8ta
                                                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                                                              Modula MT XE
                                                                              Modula Xtreme
                                                                              Isiris
                                                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                              Minerva Monitor
                                                                              Calliope
                                                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                              Obi-Wan
                                                                              Modula PWB
                                                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• littlesaint
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jul 2007
                                                                                • 823

#84
                                                                                I should be getting my two in the next few days. Eventually they will go into an IB in the basement, but until I'm ready for that part of the construction, I was thinking a simple open baffle. Is there anything special to how they would be arranged on the front baffle such as distance between them, angled or flat across, in phase, out of phase, etc?
                                                                                Santino

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                  • Aug 2000
                                                                                  • 10933

#85
                                                                                  Originally posted by whoaru99

F3=30Hz??

Max power= ~620W@10Hz??

It's impossible to know if your calculations are correct unless we see your model. The best way to do this is by uploading screen shots of your sim as attachments.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Kevin Haskins
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jan 2005
                                                                                    • 226

#86
                                                                                    The suspension uses a 28mm roll foam surround. It has 40mm of travel and it starts to stiffen up significantly at about 75% of that travel, or 30mm. Its a progressive thing though.... not all at once and we use the surround in this case to try and limit hard-bottoming. The basket is the real limit in terms of X-mech and that comes at about 36-37mm.

The spider is 180mm OD on a 64mm voice coil so there is a good 60mm of usable width for suspension travel. Its cotton Nomax (Conex) with a progressively damped linear profile. It doesn’t limit our travel and was picked based upon the best linear cms curve.

The motor easily supports the 27mm of one-way linear. The motor is rarely the limiting factor in any of the high stroke motors that Wiggins designed. The XBL^2 motors have a nice constant motor force over their usable stroke. This is a blessing (lower distortion) and a curse. The curse part has to do with how they overload at the limits. They don't have as much audible distortion until they reach the end of the suspension travel or if they bottom. That doesn't give users a lot of feedback that they are approaching their limits and then time to adjust their behavior (reduce gain).

By designing the suspension to start to progressively limit travel, rather than allowing them to bottom easily we give up some suspension related distortion but gain a little extra safety. Its a design choice though.... there is no free lunch. We certainly would minimally lower distortion at the limits with a larger roll surround..... just before the driver bottomed and self-destructed. ;-)

The Shiva-X & Tempest-X have a slightly larger roll (36mm) rubber surround. We didn't move to it for the extra excursion or lower distortion though... we just needed a softer suspension and the foam ones from our vendor where not soft enough for the job.

Also.. note the effect on Sd. The 28mm surround gives us an approx Sd = 807.23 cm^2 (12 5/8" diameter from center of the surround center of surround). The larger roll rubber surround (subtract 4mm on the radius) gives about 753 cm^2. At a conservative 50mm peak-to-peak throw the smaller surround gives us 4036 cm^3 or just over 4L. The larger rubber surround would give us 3765 cm^3 with the same 50mm p-p throw. The lower Sd of the larger roll surround is equivilant to about 2mm of x-max in terms of total displacement capability.

Kevin Haskins
                                                                                    DIYCable & Exodus Audio
                                                                                    Last edited by Kevin Haskins; 09 August 2007, 15:38 Thursday.

Comment

• whoaru99
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jul 2004
                                                                                      • 638

#87

F3=30Hz??

Max power= ~620W@10Hz??

What else do I need to look show for someone to say whether this is correct (for IB), or not?

Name:	CB Response XJ-15.gif
Views:	888
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	849266

Name:	CB Excursion XJ-15.gif
Views:	149
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	849267
                                                                                      Last edited by theSven; 30 July 2023, 15:12 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                        • Aug 2000
                                                                                        • 15311

#88
                                                                                        The suspension uses a 28mm roll foam surround. It has 40mm of travel and it starts to stiffen up significantly at about 75% of that travel, or 30mm. Its a progressive thing though.... not all at once and we use the surround in this case to try and limit hard-bottoming. The basket is the real limit in terms of X-mech and that comes at about 36-37mm.

The spider is 180mm OD on a 64mm voice coil so there is a good 60mm of usable width for suspension travel. Its cotton Nomax (Conex) with a progressively damped linear profile. It doesn’t limit our travel and was picked based upon the best linear cms curve.

The motor easily supports the 27mm of one-way linear. The motor is rarely the limiting factor in any of the high stroke motors that Wiggins designed. The XBL^2 motors have a nice constant motor force over their usable stroke. This is a blessing (lower distortion) and a curse. The curse part has to do with how they overload at the limits. They don't have as much audible distortion until they reach the end of the suspension travel or if they bottom. That doesn't give users a lot of feedback that they are approaching their limits and then time to adjust their behavior (reduce gain).

By designing the suspension to start to progressively limit travel, rather than allowing them to bottom easily we give up some suspension related distortion but gain a little extra safety. Its a design choice though.... there is no free lunch. We certainly would minimally lower distortion at the limits with a larger roll surround..... just before the driver bottomed and self-destructed. ;-)

The Shiva-X & Tempest-X have a slightly larger roll (36mm) rubber surround. We didn't move to it for the extra excursion or lower distortion though... we just needed a softer suspension and the foam ones from our vendor where not soft enough for the job.

Also.. note the effect on Sd. The 28mm surround gives us an approx Sd = 807.23 cm^2 (12 5/8" diameter from center of the surround center of surround). The larger roll rubber surround (subtract 4mm on the radius) gives about 753 cm^2. At a conservative 50mm peak-to-peak throw the smaller surround gives us 4036 cm^3 or just over 4L. The larger rubber surround would give us 3765 cm^3 with the same 50mm p-p throw. The lower Sd of the larger roll surround is equivilant to about 2mm of x-max in terms of total displacement capability.

Kevin Haskins
                                                                                        DIYCable & Exodus Audio
                                                                                        Thanks for the update and additional details, Kevin. Surround size versus Sd is always a tradeoff, even in larger drivers like the XJ-15.
                                                                                        the AudioWorx
                                                                                        Natalie P
                                                                                        M8ta
                                                                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                        Modula MT XE
                                                                                        Modula Xtreme
                                                                                        Isiris
                                                                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                        Minerva Monitor
                                                                                        Calliope
                                                                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                        Obi-Wan
                                                                                        Modula PWB
                                                                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• jimluu
                                                                                          Member
                                                                                          • Dec 2006
                                                                                          • 53

#89
                                                                                          Great deal! I was just about to buy 4 tc1000, but bought 4 of these instead. I plan to build something like the Jamo r909 or the Irises. The Irises looks great,but no way to listen to them. Hopefully the JAMO will be at the rmaf.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                            • Aug 2000
                                                                                            • 15311

#90
                                                                                            What else do I need to look show for someone to say whether this is correct (for IB), or not?
                                                                                            That's in the ball park- about 108 dB at 10 Hz, about 115 dB at 20 Hz with 600W total (150 W /driver).

To improve the accuracy of the Unibox simulation, calculate the actual volume you would have to work with for your IB space, and use that as your working volume, not 99,999 liters. The Q will be a bit higher, the Fb a bit higher, and there will be a bit less output in the very low frequencies for this same drive level.
                                                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                                                            Natalie P
                                                                                            M8ta
                                                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                                                            Isiris
                                                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                                                            Calliope
                                                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                                                            Modula PWB
                                                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"