X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • littlesaint
    • Jul 2007

Anyone use Linux

Does anyone use Linux for design and testing?

I have a Thinkpad T60p with Linux (Ubuntu) as the OS. I have Windows installed in a VM, but I rarely use it.

Also, my Thinkpad doesn't have FireWire. So, I'd be looking for hardware and software that works with USB 2.0 and Linux or Windows running in a VM. Simple right? 8O

I also have access to my wife's MacBook if that's a better option.
    Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
  • Wilk
    • Oct 2006

I am a big Linux fan, Ubuntu is a great OS. As far as testing software though, there is little to none. I gave thought to trying Mac on Linux to let me run the fuzzmeasure program that Jon Marsh is using, but never got around to it. You may just want to trade your wife for the mac.

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

I mentioned some software over in the DA Khanspire thread that I've been trying to get working on Ubuntu. Looks like it should do quite a bit, and do it well, if I can get all the dependencies straightened out.
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

If you have access to a MacBook, (I have one, too), you might want to look at FuzzMeasure 2, it's discussed a bit in the Speaker Camp Thread. I run LspCAD in an XP partition on the MacBook, too, but use Fuzzmeasure, with an external FireWire preamp, in the Mac Partition.

It's pretty easy to use, and easy to make plots of summed or averaged measurements. It uses a swept sine chirp for measurement, like Praxis. It converts to an MLS equivalent for windowing, and shows the window and corresponding frequency response at the same time. Very easy to use (it's on a Mac, after all!). Won an Apple design award.
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• littlesaint
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by cjd
          I mentioned some software over in the DA Khanspire thread that I've been trying to get working on Ubuntu. Looks like it should do quite a bit, and do it well, if I can get all the dependencies straightened out.
          I'll take a look. Thanks. Is there recommended recording hardware? I've heard m-audio USB products work well with linux.
          Santino

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

I use an internal card on a desktop system, but it's an M-Audio. I've had good luck with them under linux, yes. Ubuntu's forums are pretty good too, so if you've the patience, I'm sure in the end it'll happen.

let me know what works as far as getting the software going, if you succeed in that.

I should also say, i've had no trouble using Speaker Workshop under WINE for modeling - just haven't tried using it to measure yet, but I'll do that after I have it working in Windows on that computer.

C

Comment

• littlesaint
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by JonMarsh
              If you have access to a MacBook, (I have one, too), you might want to look at FuzzMeasure 2, it's discussed a bit in the Speaker Camp Thread. I run LspCAD in an XP partition on the MacBook, too, but use Fuzzmeasure, with an external FireWire preamp, in the Mac Partition.

It's pretty easy to use, and easy to make plots of summed or averaged measurements. It uses a swept sine chirp for measurement, like Praxis. It converts to an MLS equivalent for windowing, and shows the window and corresponding frequency response at the same time. Very easy to use (it's on a Mac, after all!). Won an Apple design award.
              I've always been a "Mac guy" first, so I may just have to try it. Nice price too. Is that the standard or pro version of LspCAD you use?
              Santino

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

I use the Pro version, though obviously I'm not! :W It has some useful features, but you can do an awful lot with the "standard", and I'm sure for most folks it's a better value. I'm used to $3K to 10K for CAD software at work, so LspCAD Pro's price isn't that scary.
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• littlesaint
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by cjd
                  I use an internal card on a desktop system, but it's an M-Audio. I've had good luck with them under linux, yes. Ubuntu's forums are pretty good too, so if you've the patience, I'm sure in the end it'll happen.

let me know what works as far as getting the software going, if you succeed in that.

I should also say, i've had no trouble using Speaker Workshop under WINE for modeling - just haven't tried using it to measure yet, but I'll do that after I have it working in Windows on that computer.

C
                  I was able to get qloud-22 to compile and run, but I couldn't tell you if it "works" because I don't have a recording device. Plus, you have to get JACK (JACK Audio Connection Kit) working with the hardware before qloud can "talk" to it. Looks like I'll be making a trip to Guitar Center tomorrow.
                  Santino

Comment

• cjd
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Dec 2004

interesting.

I can't get it to compile completely. Grrr.

Comment

• littlesaint
                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by cjd
                      interesting.

I can't get it to compile completely. Grrr.
                      If I can remember what I did, I'll put together a how-to.
                      Santino

Comment

• Jed
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Apr 2005

Wish LSPCAd would work in OSX. Just bought a MacBook. I can run dual platforms, but would like to never have to resort to Vista in the future.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2007

Mataa

Didn't know there were any Mac fans in the electronics/engineering community. I'm about to try out MATAA (Matlab/Octave based audio analysis) featured in audioXpress on my Mac. Has anyone tried this? Octave is free and OSX & Linux compatible. No sound support for Linux yet, though.

MATAA-

Octave-
                          GNU Octave is a programming language for scientific computing.

Octave (OSX binaries)-
                          John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• dwk
                            • Apr 2005

Interesting stuff. I've mostly been a Linux guy in the past, having spent a ton of time with BruteFIR and related packages for digital xovers. I've been using Windows for the past while, though, since my technical/experimenting time has been pretty much non existant.

Linux has some pretty cool audio tools, but measurement tools were always the problem. MATAA looks pretty like an interesting development, though. If it uses PortAudio as claimed, porting to Linux shouldn't be too big a problem. Given that my Emu 1820M is now at least partially supported by the latest ALSA releases, it might be time to take another look.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                              Super Senior Member
                              • May 2007

Originally posted by dwk
                              Interesting stuff. I've mostly been a Linux guy in the past, having spent a ton of time with BruteFIR and related packages for digital xovers. I've been using Windows for the past while, though, since my technical/experimenting time has been pretty much non existant.

Linux has some pretty cool audio tools, but measurement tools were always the problem. MATAA looks pretty like an interesting development, though. If it uses PortAudio as claimed, porting to Linux shouldn't be too big a problem. Given that my Emu 1820M is now at least partially supported by the latest ALSA releases, it might be time to take another look.
                              Sounds good. You may just be the person to port MATAA to Linux. :T
                              John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• zzzz
                                • Jul 2007

Unibox should work using open office.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by zzzz
                                  Unibox should work using open office.
                                  It doesn't since Unibox uses macros

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• cjd
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Dec 2004

Not just the macros causing problems, but the VB. Unibux might just be a macro dependency.

It would be nice to see the FRD Consortium time and effort put into a platform that's more stable and more compatible though. Last time I spoke to Dan Cyr he was working on Linux but I haven't seen that effort bear fruit.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"