X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zzzz
    • Jul 2007

newbie sub advice

Hey all,

Thanks for such great threads on sub design and builds. I am looking for an inexpensive (say $400), easy-to-build (does not require many tools or skills) first sub design. Primarily used for HT (90% of the time), and 10% music. I would like to get good sound quality and not so much spl.

The room is mid-range (17 L x 14 W x 8 H), but the sub may be relocated to a much larger area when we renovate the basement. What I think I want... is a downward firing 15inch TC 2000 driver (so the kids won't be able to insert lego easily, and I won't have to worry about a grille).

I can go with a sonotube design for which I can figure out the design courtesy of the sonosub software. My only question for this methods is where do I have the amp? I guess it has to be with the rest of the equipment? I am not familiar with amps and don't want to build a cheap sub that requires an expensive external amp.

The second option would be a large sealed box, again with the 15inch TC 2000 downward. I have a space that is 40 inches x 18 inches x 36 (height). The height could increase somewhat. Problem is I cannot find a detailed design for this implementation. I can figure out the appropriate dimensions for the outside using software modeling, but don't know what to do for the internal braces.

Many thanks for reading this far and I would really appreciate some suggestions!
  • subynube
    • Apr 2007

I dont have experience with this sub, but PE has a rack mount 1000 watt amp. This can be placed in a cabinet or on a rack, unlike some plate amps. I dont know what other people are doing who have this set up. Hope this helps. I dont know what your budget is, but relatively speaking for the output of the amp, this is a good bargain.

Comment

• zzzz
      • Jul 2007

thanks for your response. I'll keep it in mind, looks good to me.

I guess the largest question I have is:

Does the size and location of the holes in the internal braces really matter??? I'll hazard a guess that it's probably a trade-off between brace strength and their ability to allow air pass through.

Can anyone elaborate on this brace design question?

Comment

• PoorboyMike
        • Oct 2005

Here is a pic of the bracing in my 3.5 cu.ft. sealed cabinet. It's just standard "window pane" bracing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2457.webp
Views:	22
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	944302
        Last edited by theSven; 06 July 2023, 21:09 Thursday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

yep. if you go with a sonosub, you don't need the bracing. Seperate pro amps offer the best ban for the buck. You'll want big power with the tc2000.
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Brendan_L
            • Sep 2006

That's an excellent sub choice. I have two of them. :P

You may want to call TC today or order online because they are raising prices as of last night, according to their website.

One of my subs is being powered by a Buttkicker BKA-1000 which is about $250. The primary advantage is that it is fanless.
            The other amp options you may have read about here include using pro type amplifiers such as the behringer.

I used MDF and need help moving the larger enclosure around. It's roughly 12 cu ft. A box that big is very very heavy. I would highly suggest sonotube if you can find it.

Here is a photo of my bracing:

Image not available

Basically you don't need a 'plan' to cut the bracing.
            Last edited by theSven; 06 July 2023, 21:09 Thursday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• zzzz
              • Jul 2007

That's what I was thinking when considering the sonosub. But I have never looked at amps at all. Don't want to/can't afford to get into the pre-pro/amp thing

Will the PE 1000 watt amp do the trick? I'm unsure of the product quality.

Comment

• ---k---
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2005

it is just as expensive or more expensive depending on how you look at it. $330 for the PE1000W plate amp and that's only one channel compared to an $299 EP1500 bridged will give you more power into a single channel.
                - Ryan

Comment

• zzzz
                  • Jul 2007

So does that mean that an external amp (like the PE 1000 watt model mentioned above) can drive multiple subs? In that case I may build 2 subs and drive them by the external amp.

Thanks for all your input people!!! Much appreciated!!!

Comment

• zzzz
                    • Jul 2007

Nice looking sub there! I'm getting the impression that all the details in the rythmik plans for the baffles are not necessarily worried about, you just have to have strong baffles that allow air through.

Probably an oversimplification.
                    Originally posted by Brendan_L
                    That's an excellent sub choice. I have two of them. :P

You may want to call TC today or order online because they are raising prices as of last night, according to their website.

One of my subs is being powered by a Buttkicker BKA-1000 which is about $250. The primary advantage is that it is fanless.
                    The other amp options you may have read about here include using pro type amplifiers such as the behringer.

I used MDF and need help moving the larger enclosure around. It's roughly 12 cu ft. A box that big is very very heavy. I would highly suggest sonotube if you can find it.

Here is a photo of my bracing:

Image not available

Basically you don't need a 'plan' to cut the bracing.
                    Last edited by theSven; 06 July 2023, 21:10 Thursday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• ---k---
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Nov 2005

Plate amps have only one channel. The PE 1000W amps that is rack mountable is a modified plate amp, and only has one channel. The pro amps, like the Behringer EP1500 or 2500, have two channels. If you plan to build a second future tc2k sub, I would recommend the higher power EP2500.
                      - Ryan

Comment

• zzzz
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by ---k---
                        Plate amps have only one channel. The PE 1000W amps that is rack mountable is a modified plate amp, and only has one channel. The pro amps, like the Behringer EP1500 or 2500, have two channels. If you plan to build a second future tc2k sub, I would recommend the higher power EP2500.
                        Thanks for the clarification. My question concerned the pro amp. I'll have to think long and hard about this, but I'm leaning towards a sonotube at this point in time.

Comment

• ---k---
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2005

what is your concern about the pro amp? just unfamiliar territory? lots of upside, more bang/buck. the only downside is the fan. I've modded mine by replacing them with quiet panaflow fans. others solder in a resistor.
                          - Ryan

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"