X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NateTTU
    • Jul 2007

MT Speaker Comparisons

I'm a brand new poster but I have been researching this site along with others over the past couple of weeks. I wanted to do a lot of research before posting that way hopefully I can ask questions effectively and not waste too much of your time.

I'm really interested in diy speakers but don't really have the time/desire to design a full setup for myself. I much rather build a design that is already finished and many people like. I'm looking for a 5 speaker ht setup perferrable with a center, floorstanding mains, and mono or dipole bookshelf surrounds. I have already decided to go with a TC-2000 sonotube so that is taken care of.

The problem I currently am having is the shear amount of info and speaker designs that are available. I'm thinking of just diving in and creating a few MT speakers to test. Later, the speaker I like most can be used for my surrounds and then I can build the mains and center based upon my decision.

So here is what I am looking for:
    2 or 3 MT designs that have a matching main and center channel already created. I'm currently looking at the Dayton RS TMWW mains but I need to figure out which tweeter fits my needs, either the Seas or Dayton. I've looked at the Natalie P and Modula MTM designs but I'm not sure they will provide me with enough depth and SPL headroom I need.

It would be fair to say that I do not know what excellent speakers sound like because all I have experience with is a Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 PC speaker set. Its been great to me but I'm ready to begin building a real ht setup. However, I do know that I have a sensitivity towards higher frequencies and therefore would try to stay away from speakers that tend to be "bright" or "forward" (as some people would say.) This is the main reason for me to build a couple of designs to see what fits my needs best.

Here are only a couple of things I am considering: (tons more than listed)
    https://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?p=329799&highlight=surrounds#post3 29799 can't find the crossover for what is mentioned.

https://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?p=331132&highlight=surrounds#post3 31132 not the exact same driver as the mains problem?
    https://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13154 same problem
    https://www.htguide.com/forum/showpo...&postcount=916 same problem

https://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?p=306523&highlight=surrounds#post3 06523 dipole or mono/ which is better? i don't have size constraints like him so not sure if this is what i need
    https://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?p=281729&highlight=surrounds#post2 81729 same thing as above

Zaph has some cool designs and wish I could try them, but I couldn't find any mains/center to match them up with. I would appreciate any help and direction you could give me. Thanks.
    Last edited by theSven; 10 March 2023, 18:38 Friday. Reason: Update htguide URL
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

What is your budget per speaker? And welcome to the forum!

https://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26574 :T
    Last edited by theSven; 10 March 2023, 18:38 Friday. Reason: Update htguide URL

Comment

• NateTTU
      • Jul 2007

I'm looking to make the entire setup for under $1400 (not including the sub). I think the TMWW mains are around $300 a piece to make but I figure the center and surrounds would be cheaper to make. But of course this can change based on the quality I find though not too much higher as I was originally going to buy the new SVS MTS line but couldn't justify the price.

Comment

• Gir
        • Dec 2006

As for your second link, Mark K's RS225/RS28A, I love them. I'll actually be using them as mains, with Modula MT rears and Curt's WMTW center, accented by the lovely IXL-18.4. Mark K's design is great in my opinion. The 8" woofers can really put out a lot of sound while being really low distortion. Even tough mine are sealed, they can get some decent low extension for "bookshelf" speakers, but ported they should have a lot more extension. The RS28A tweeter is great, and isn't overly bright. The imaging is really nice, and they're fairly transparent. Listening fatigue is low and the speakers sound wonderful all around.

You may also want to consider the Natalie P or Modula MTM designs for the mains. Those tend to be a popular choice. And don't worry about low end extension too much if you're crossing over to a sub; that will alleviate the pain on your drivers.
        -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• NateTTU
          • Jul 2007

Jed,

Yea, that is definately one I have been following and look forward to the final result. However, what are they using for the mid and tweeter? There are definately high expectations surrounding this job and from what I have read they "sound better" than the natalie and modula designs. Definately one to watch, but I will need to find some MT design to fit this bill for my setup but also to test initially.

Tyler,

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking that particular MT design would be a great match for the TMWW design especially since the drivers and tweeter are the same. However, would the different crossover designs make a huge impact on the ability of the speakers to blend well with the rest of the system? I realize since its a different layout alltogether it would use a different crossover but if it isn't setup exactly like the mains would that make a large difference?

BTW, this was kind of a hidden question among my first post, are dipole or mono surrounds best? I read somewhere the only real reason for dipoles were in the ages of dolby pro logic and they aren't really required/perferred these days.

Comment

• cobbpa
            • Apr 2005

In my experience, the Modula MT does fine as a surround for the big RS 3-way mains & center. The MT has a slightly clearer sound, but in the setup I did of these for my uncle (a 7 speaker deal) they all work well together. IIRC, we spent under $1300 for all drivers, crosovers, wood & vinyl.

Comment

• cjd
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by NateTTU
              I'm looking to make the entire setup for under $1400 (not including the sub). I think the TMWW mains are around $300 a piece to make but I figure the center and surrounds would be cheaper to make.
              Center and mains are equally important. Don't sell yourself short...
              diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Gir
                • Dec 2006

You may be better off with the Modula MT over Mark K's MT since the Modula are a bit cheaper (I think). But I don't think you'd have a problem with blending Mark K's design in with the big 3-ways.

My friend and I are going to be building him a 5.1 system for about $950 for everything (including receiver, amp, dvd player, wood, finish, etc.), which will consist of Zaph's BAMTM for mains with two 8" TB in each tower for subs (forget the model and can't get onto PE at the moment), Zaph's B3S fullrange speakers for rears, and CJD's MTM center. The cute little subs will have an a500 powering them, which should hopefully be enough. I really like this setup because it will give him some nice mains that don't take up too much space since the subs are built in, and he'll have some rears that will sound good enough for him and his friends for their movies, plus a nice center channel. Space was also a bit of an issue, so something smallish was needed.
                -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• NateTTU
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by cjd
                  Center and mains are equally important. Don't sell yourself short...
                  Indeed, I'm thinking most of the budget will go towards making the center and mains. I was thinking very little would be put towards the surrounds which is one reason why I want to make a couple of possible surrounds to test them out (much cheaper than building multiple mains).

Gir,

Would it be odd to have MTMs as surrounds? I guess I could use just about anything for surrounds but figured it would be easier/cheaper and maybe better to just use a bookshelf.

Comment

• Gir
                    • Dec 2006

Would it be odd to have MTMs as surrounds? I guess I could use just about anything for surrounds but figured it would be easier/cheaper and maybe better to just use a bookshelf.
                    It would probably be more reasonable to use a Modula MT for the surrounds. The surrounds are important, but they aren't stressed really hard like the mains are. There's not a huge need to go for an MTM when a MT will suite just fine.
                    -Tyler

Comment

• NateTTU
                      • Jul 2007

Yea, thats kind of what I was thinking, but just wanted to make sure. I did look a little more into the pricing of a pair of the nats and modulas, seems like the nats come in around $300 per pair? but the modulas were almost $800 a pair?! Maybe I'm reading the whole thing wrong, but that can't be right.

post at the very bottom for modulas bom

BTW, has anyone built a MT design for the Nats?
                      Last edited by theSven; 10 March 2023, 18:39 Friday. Reason: Update htguide URL

Comment

• Gir
                        • Dec 2006

Yea, thats kind of what I was thinking, but just wanted to make sure. I did look a little more into the pricing of a pair of the nats and modulas, seems like the nats come in around $300 per pair? but the modulas were almost $800 a pair?! Maybe I'm reading the whole thing wrong, but that can't be right.
                        Nope, that's about right. The Natalie P was designed as a lower cost Modula MTM, which is why the Nat P has become so popular - it's less than half the cost!
                        -Tyler

Comment

• WillyD
                          • Feb 2006

BTW, has anyone built a MT design for the Nats?
                          Well actually...even though the Modula MT shares the Modula MTM's name, it is closer to the Natalie P in xover cost.

Comment

• NateTTU
                            • Jul 2007

Would it be a good bet to say that the Modula's sound better than the Natalies because it uses better xover components?
                            The main reason I was looking for a MT design of the Nats was not to reduce costs really but because I would prefer them over a MTM for a surround.
                            I will probably build the Modula MTs, Natalie Ps, and maybe Mark K's MT design. The first two would definately vary due to the tweeter while the last one is just to see how the larger driver fairs as a surround.

Having said that, I'm really hesitant to just go all out and begin buying and building when I really would have no use for the speakers that I don't use for my HT. I know this place is mostly about diy but is there a market for buying other peoples diy projects? I could just buy someones and then sell the ones I didn't really care for unless I can find a use for them somewhere else in the house.

Comment

• NateTTU
                              • Jul 2007

From more reading it looks like the Modula MT will work great for my surrounds and I will probably build one pair using the Seas and one with the Dayton tweeter to have a little test. Unless I'm wrong, please correct me, I think these will give me enough ouput low enough to crossover to my sonosub. I'm thinking I would need to crossover say around 40-50Hz? Now its just a question of going with which design for the mains.

Does anyone have input on wether the Dayton TMWW main and WMTW center or the modula MTM across the front (horizontal orrientation for center) would be better for ht use? I'm looking for the better quality speaker (a slightly subjective matter). I know the floorstanding designs would go deeper and probably louder but I have a sub to take care of the lower end and I don't listen to movies at extremely high levels.

Comment

• TNRRClassic
                                • Nov 2006

I have the Dayton Modula MT, and think it is a very good sounding speaker. It is perfect for surround use in a "normal" sized home theatre, and mine is crossed over at 80 Hz. I was going to do the Modula MTM for my mains, but changed my mind when the new WMTW Jon et al is/are working got moving. It all just gets down to your budget, available room, and desired spl. The Nat P is relatively inexpensive and can get pretty good volume, with the Modula MTM being a step up with better equipment. The WWMT is a bit bigger, not much more expensive, and can do a bit more volume. I think the new newDC WMTW is going to have great sound quality and pretty decent volume. It seems like it is going to be reasonably priced for a 3 way, as well.

Comment

• NateTTU
                                  • Jul 2007

Classic

Well for the most part all the designs you have mentioned will fall into my budget, I'm just looking for the best sound for ht use. I also have to keep in mind that I need a 5 channel or even 7 channel system and the speakers should use the same drivers so they blend very well. I don't want to narrow my choices just upon which play loudest because I won't watch movies at extremely high levels. What new DC WMTW are you mentioning?

Currently, I'm leaning towards the Modula design because it has a MTM and MT design but I could also change to the Nat MTM & MT design if I prefered the dayton tweeter. From reading the topic called "Speaker Camp, aka the Moderators at Play" I found out that this design is very limited in using a certain tweeter and will have no MT design for them. I don't have enough knowledge or time to change a design I just need one that is finished and I can just put together. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

• Brian Walter
                                    • Sep 2005

Nate, I have the TMWW mains and have listened to the MT's & the Nat. P's on a couple different occasions. Even though they don't all use the same tweeter or same mid bass, they all sound extremely similar. Jim Holtz would be a better one to address this than most of us, as he used to have all of them.

I was going to recommend the NatP's over the TMWW because with dual 7" mid bass drivers, it can probably play louder than the single 6" in the TMWW. But seeing as how you don't need the extra SPL, you might find the slightly more refined sound of the TMWW's more to your liking.

I haven't heard the new design yet that Jon and Thomas are working on, but that's what I intend to use for my center channel with the TMWW L & R.

Based on Jon's description of the sound of the new speaker design, I'd wait and go with those for LCR and build the Modula MT's for surround use.

Finally, you said that you are sensitive to high frequencies and would prefer a speaker that is slightly less forward or not too bright. All of these speakers are very accurate and detailed, so depending on what you are used to listening to, you may find them to be bright sounding. Let us know where you live, maybe someone lives near you that has one of these speakers and would let you audition them before you build.

Brian Walter

Comment

• NateTTU
                                      • Jul 2007

Brian,

Thanks for the info. I have read many of your posts in the forum regarding those TMWW speakers. You seem to have done a great job. I have some Klipsch speakers that most people say are bright and I have gotten use to them so it may not be as big of issue as I first thought.

BTW, I live in the Dallas, TX area.
                                      Last edited by NateTTU; 27 July 2007, 18:05 Friday.

Comment

• TNRRClassic
                                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Brian Walter
                                        Based on Jon's description of the sound of the new speaker design, I'd wait and go with those for LCR and build the Modula MT's for surround use.

Brian Walter
                                        That is exactly what I am doing. The speaker camp...speaker is the neoDC speaker that I was referring to. I am going to start with the D6.8 centre in the PE box, and then am going to do the RS version in larger enclosures to match the PE box for L&R. I am also going to use my Modula MT's for surrounds. Good advice, Brian! I think the new WMTW design with the RS52 is going to be a lot better than anything else on here insofar as accuracy. I think for HT use it will be excellent, and it sounds like it may be the trick for music, as well. The WWMT's are just not going to be as detailed as the WMTW with the RS52, and I think for HT use it will be noticeable. I don't think you are going to go wrong any which way, but I just think the RS52 is really going to be spectacular.

Comment

• NateTTU
                                          • Jul 2007

I got in contact with Jim and he recommended me to use the new WMTW design by Jon and Thomas and then use Modulas for the surrounds. However, if the price of this new design becomes to much he recommends me to jump up to the Statements project.
                                          It would be nice to hear somet of these designs and I know there are some diy events happening up north that will include these but is there anything down here in Texas?
                                          Also, I forgot to mention this is a grounds up operation and I need some input on what type of electronics to buy. I would like to keep them under 1k (bought used) and I don't know wether to buy one receiver or get seperates.

Comment

• TNRRClassic
                                            • Nov 2006

One good thing about the Modula MT's for surround duty is that they are pretty easy on your equipment. I believe they present something like a 6 ohm load, of which I could be a little off base. I know they are easy to drive. The new centre may be a bit rough on a receiver unless it is 4 ohm rated, as it looked to dip to about 3 ohms or so in the woofer section. John said he may put out a higher impedance design using a pair of the 4 ohm woofers in series. That may solve any impedance issues with a receiver, but he has so many projects going, that it may take a little while to get to that configuration.

As you surely know, separates will generally sound better than a receiver, but the higher impedance of that setup should give you a few options if you do want to go with a receiver. I have heard an Outlaw receiver that sounded pretty good for a receiver. It was driving some low impedance stuff, too. Search about on the forum a bit, and you will find quite a lot of good information regarding receivers and amps.

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"