X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MuaDibb
    • Oct 2006

More Nearfield Questions

I've read several posts about building computer speakers, and nearfield listening. Several people recomended using a fullrange speaker because of the difficulty in blending the tweeter and woofer.

Would you have the same difficulty blending a woofer coupled with a fullrange? I guess what I'm asking, is it solely dependent on proximity? or does frequency have something to do with it?

I know I can build one of the several fullrange diy's out there like the one on Zaph's site and add a small sub, but I would like it all in one cabinet. I was thinking a small M8ta clone with a 3" fullrange where the tweeter would be and a small woofer below to fill in the low end. Would this be a viable solution for nearfield?

If this isn't insane could I get some recomendations for a small woofer that could get to or at least close to 80hz in a small sealed enclosure?
    Ultimately all things are known because we want to believe we know.

Zensunni Wanderer
  • fjhuerta
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2006

Due to the size of inductors at said crossover point... or the need for an external amplifier... I'd go for a normal two way. Just MHO.
    Javier Huerta

Comment

• Jed
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Apr 2005

How about one of those SEAS coaxials? Might be nice for a nearfield monitor without integrations issues.

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by MuaDibb
        I've read several posts about building computer speakers, and nearfield listening. Several people recomended using a fullrange speaker because of the difficulty in blending the tweeter and woofer.

Would you have the same difficulty blending a woofer coupled with a fullrange? I guess what I'm asking, is it solely dependent on proximity? or does frequency have something to do with it?

I know I can build one of the several fullrange diy's out there like the one on Zaph's site and add a small sub, but I would like it all in one cabinet. I was thinking a small M8ta clone with a 3" fullrange where the tweeter would be and a small woofer below to fill in the low end. Would this be a viable solution for nearfield?

If this isn't insane could I get some recomendations for a small woofer that could get to or at least close to 80hz in a small sealed enclosure?
        If you're going for a desktop nearfield, I'd consider some of the Aurasound NS3-193-8A, or two, maybe with one of their small neodymium tweeters (think Madisound). It really all depends on how small you need- if I was doing this, of course I'd have to go overboard, and use this for the mid/highs, and a separate mini-subwoofer, like one of the Tangband's or HiVi's designed for that. Complexity and cost become a problem for a one off, unless you're into rolling your own active filters. Inductors for low midrange crossover points with passive filters are BIG!
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• nayr
          • Jun 2005

Originally posted by JonMarsh
          If you're going for a desktop nearfield, I'd consider some of the Aurasound NS3-193-8A, or two, maybe with one of their small neodymium tweeters (think Madisound).
          A small MTM with these look like fun. Zaph has a two-way design I was looking at for a bedroom/nighttime speaker:

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Sitting ON a desk or mounted on a wall, that might work quite well. Zaph's design would be fairly easy to adapt to an MTM. Or just use as is!
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• MuaDibb
              • Oct 2006

Thanks for the replies.
              qoute :

If you're going for a desktop nearfield, I'd consider some of the Aurasound NS3-193-8A, or two, maybe with one of their small neodymium tweeters (think Madisound).
              this was my original idea for a tmm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.webp
Views:	46
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	944393

If you used two of the aurasound would the crossover be a two-way? I had read that a 2.5 probably wouldn't work very well in a nearfield application.
              Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 16:53 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Zensunni Wanderer

Comment

• cjd
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Dec 2004

Center to center spacing would be too large for that to be a 2-way. Really should keep it a MTM topology.
                diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• opt-e
                  • Nov 2004

I'd love to see a MTM with these drivers! :T

Comment

• TacoD
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Jed
                    How about one of those SEAS coaxials? Might be nice for a nearfield monitor without integrations issues.
                    Or the Thiel coax, Click image for larger version

Name:	thiel_o.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	944394 (only 699 euro a piece ).
                    Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 16:53 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Jed
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Apr 2005

Someone mentioned those Thiel units didn't do too well in the HD tests, but they seemed to be popular in some projects of the German Hobby Hifi magazines.

Comment

• MuaDibb
                        • Oct 2006

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try the Zaph project. However, I would like to change the box. It looks like the baffle width would be about 4.5 inches. Could anyone confirm? Also, I couldn't find the volume he used, it seems to be 2-3 liters?

Sitting ON a desk or mounted on a wall, that might work quite well. Zaph's design would be fairly easy to adapt to an MTM.
                        If someone could throw out a suggested mtm x-over and box volume, I wouldn't mind trying it and taking some measurements....... :lol:

I'd love to see a MTM with these drivers!
                        Thats the spirit!

Zensunni Wanderer

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Name:	audio-speaker20a-15.gif
Views:	10
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	944395
                          Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 16:54 Friday. Reason: Update image location

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Operandi
                            • May 2007

It's not final yet (hopefully will be soon) but for my PC speaker project I think I'm going with a 2.5 TMM version of Microbe with the RS28 tweeter.

Shown below is the 2.5 MTM version with the popular Seas 22TAF/G tweeter. Roman the designer has been very helpful in regards to modifying his design as was as offering good general advice.

Name:	Microbe%20SE25%20MTM.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	944396
                            Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 16:54 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"