X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rolex
    • Mar 2005

Peerless 830883 and Scan Speak 9500

Anyone ever try a two way stand mount or otherwise design with the above drivers?

I'm using them in a 2 1/2 way tower currently, but am curious to see if I could use the drivers in a different configuration that will yield different and or better results.

Plus, I'll get to build more cabinets which is the best part for me.. I'm using 2 838883's per side right now and wouldn't mind going down to one per side in a true 2 way configuration..

Thanks for any help!
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Been thinking about that, but having limited time, I've been focussed lately on the WMTW three way with dome midrange.

Shouldn't be hard to do something like the Modula MT, that was my working concept.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jed
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Rolex
      Anyone ever try a two way stand mount or otherwise design with the above drivers?

I'm using them in a 2 1/2 way tower currently, but am curious to see if I could use the drivers in a different configuration that will yield different and or better results.
      If my memory serves me correct, didn't you have a crossover designed by Meniscus using real measurements etc for this design? What don't you like about it?

Comment

• Jonasz
        • Nov 2004

I asked a similar question over at the PE forum the other day and there seems to be pretty severe QC issues with the 830883. The FR Dennis sent me looks pretty bad with a 6dB bump at 500-1.3khz. Madisound is supposed to get a new batch of drivers on July 26, let's hope they're better...

Last edited by Jonasz; 23 July 2007, 13:09 Monday. Reason: Added link.

Comment

• Jed
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Jonasz
          I asked a similar question over at the PE forum the other day and there seems to be pretty severe QC issues with the 830883. The FR Dennis sent me looks pretty bad with a 6dB bump at 500-1.3khz. Madisound is supposed to get a new batch of drivers on July 26, let's hope they're better...

http://www.pesupport.com/cgi-bin/config.pl?read=364918
          As I recall he (Dennis) didn't like the HDS tweeters either.

Comment

• Rolex
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Jed
            If my memory serves me correct, didn't you have a crossover designed by Meniscus using real measurements etc for this design? What don't you like about it?
            You are correct, Meniscus did the design. There isn't anything that I don't like about it other than the efficiency. I've talked with the guys at Meniscus about this and it is due to the 2 1/2 way design. Had I gone the way they recommended (a true 3 way) it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

I'm not looking to get rid of the set I have. But if I can come up with a nice 2 way stand mount I could swap drivers back and forth and have both stand mounts and towers..

Comment

• Mark K
              • Feb 2002

I'm not sure I'd characterize the problems with the 883 as "severe." I'm curious about the large hump Dennis found. The 500-1k region is a very difficult region to get a good look at unless you do your measurements 10-15 feet off the ground. No easy feat!

The measurements John K was referring to was just at the edge of the passband-annoying if you're doing a second order cross up at 2k or so, but cross a little lower and steeper and this shouldn't be a problem.

All budget drivers seem to have a little qc issues. You get something when you pay for an Excel or SS.

How important are the QC issues? Well, that's more difficult.

I was trying to get a 2 way HDS design with the 7", but I'm not sure this is the right woofer for that. (Just to see what a well designed 2 way 2nd order sounds like.)
              www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"