Noob here starting a DIY project with a ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jebcamaro
    • May 2007

Noob here starting a DIY project with a ?

I am new here and new to home theater all together or for that matter DIY speakers. I have built several car audio systems in my day, but never crossed over to the HT realm. I currently have been using an ancient Onkyo Dolby Prologic 1st Gen surround sound amp with some Cerwin Vega 12`s and Infinity bookshelf`s for surround. I haven`t fired it up in a long time though. I have had this setup for 12 years and it still works fine, but way out of date. I have been lurking around here for a little while reading through the threads trying to decide what setup I wanted to do. I figured I`d start with the speaker setup first. So, my first project, I chose the WMTW CC speaker. I have just about completed the box and I have ordered the speakers. I haven`t cut the holes in the box yet, still waiting for the speakers. I ordered 2 Dayton RS225`s, 1 RS150 and the Dayton RS28A. All are shielded speakers. I have looked through the threads trying to find a complete parts list for the XO. I found this:
    Dayton DNR-1.0 1 Ohm 10W Non-Inductive .. $1.38 $1.38

004-10 Yes Dayton DNR-10 10 Ohm 10W Non-Inductive .. $1.38 $1.38

004-4 Yes Dayton DNR-4.0 4 Ohm 10W Non-Inductive .. $1.38 $1.38

027-410 Yes Dayton DMPC-1.0 1.0uF 250V Polypropylen .. $1.15 $1.15

027-428 Yes Dayton DMPC-10 10uF 250V Polypropylene .. $3.15 $3.15

027-430 Yes Dayton DMPC-12 12uF 250V Polypropylene .. $3.55 $3.55

027-432 Yes Dayton DMPC-15 15uF 250V Polypropylene .. $4.10 $4.10

027-434 Yes Dayton DMPC-18 18uF 250V Polypropylene .. $4.65 $4.65

027-436 Yes Dayton DMPC-20 20uF 250V Polypropylene .. $4.95 $4.95

004-25 Yes Dayton DNR-25 25 Ohm Non-Inductive Resi .. $1.38 $1.38

255-026 No Jantzen 0.25mH 20 AWG Air Core Inductor .. $3.02 $3.02

255-230 Yes Jantzen 0.50mH 18 AWG Air Core Inductor .. $4.56 $4.56

255-250 No Jantzen 1.0mH 18 AWG Air Core Inductor .. $7.67 $7.67

027-447 Yes Dayton DMPC-100 100uF 250V Polypropylen .. $19.51 $19.51

027-946 Yes Jantzen 39uF 400V Crosscap Capacitor .. $10.02 $10.02

Is this a complete parts list for the XO for the CC?
    I have the skill to put this together, but don`t have the knowledge to come up with my on XO. I`m at the mercy of other`s to come up with that for me.
    Great Site!
    Thanks guys.
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

Hi and welcome!

Did you check the first post in this thread yet?

The attached files at the end tell you which is which.

Comment

• jebcamaro
      • May 2007

Yes, I have checked through that post. I can tell you for someone such as I that is so green to all this stuff. There is a lot to take in and to the point it`s overwhelming and confusing. There are so many different variations to one design that I feel confused as to what crossover parts to buy. After my brain settles and I complete the CC channel, I plan to build the WWMT towers. One thing I`m curious about is what to do for surrounds with that front stage. I haven`t seen anything that is recommended for those. Do you just build a MT type bookshelf? I plan to build a 7.1 setup to let everyone know.

Comment

• Brian Bunge
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2001

You should have ordered the RS28A unshielded tweeter, not the RS28AS shielded tweeter.

Comment

• jebcamaro
          • May 2007

Why should I have bought an unshielded tweeter?

Comment

• jebcamaro
            • May 2007

I just called parts express and changed the shielded tweeter with an unshielded tweeter.
            Thanks

Comment

• Jed
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by jebcamaro
              Yes, I have checked through that post. I can tell you for someone such as I that is so green to all this stuff. There is a lot to take in and to the point it`s overwhelming and confusing. There are so many different variations to one design that I feel confused as to what crossover parts to buy. After my brain settles and I complete the CC channel, I plan to build the WWMT towers. One thing I`m curious about is what to do for surrounds with that front stage. I haven`t seen anything that is recommended for those. Do you just build a MT type bookshelf? I plan to build a 7.1 setup to let everyone know.

There are two variations of the center chanel. One done by Curt C. and one by Dennis M. Both are good designs but differ in topology somewhat. Just decide which one and order the parts from the BOM listed by the designer.

As for other speakers, you could go with Modula MTs for small surrounds, and the WWMT for your mains.

Comment

• jebcamaro
                • May 2007

Thanks, I think I`ll make the Modula MT`s my next project after this CC. I`d like to order the XO parts, but I want to make sure I have the right parts list listed in my earlier post. Please someone confirm this for me.
                Thanks

Comment

• ---k---
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2005

Dude,
                  in the first post, there is a file attached called "DM WMTW.zip" It has the BOM in an excel spread sheet. It also has the layout diagram. Take another look at the thread.

I believe that this is the right one, but I haven't read the thread recently or built the speakers.

Component Value Brand Description Part # Qty Price
                  C1 10.0uF Dayton Polypropylene capacitor 027-428 1 $3.15
                  R1 3.7 ohm Dayton Non-inductive resistor 004-3.7 1 $1.25
                  L1 0.50mH Jantzen 18 gauge inductor, 0.34 dcr 255-230 1 $2.76
                  R2 2 ohm Dayton Non-inductive resistor 004-2.0 1 $1.25
                  C2a 7.5uF Dayton Polypropylene capacitor 027-429 1 $2.40
                  C2b 50.0uF Dayton Polypropylene capacitor 027-443 1 $11.29
                  R3 40 ohm Dayton Non-inductive resistor 004-40 1 $1.25
                  L2 2.0mH Jantzen 15 gauge inductor, 0.50 dcr 255-430 1 $10.96
                  R4 1.5 ohm Dayton Non-inductive resistor 004-1.5 1 $1.25
                  R5a 10 ohm Dayton Non-inductive resistor 004-10 1 $1.25
                  R5b 7.0 ohm Dayton Non-inductive resistor 004-7 1 $1.25
                  L3 1.2mH Jantzen 15 gauge inductor, 0.33 dcr 255-424 1 $7.92
                  R6 1.0 ohm Dayton Non-inductive resistor 004-1 1 $1.25
                  L4 0.10mH Jantzen 18 gauge inductor, 0.13 dcr 255-202 1 $1.83
                  C3 3.3uF Dayton Polypropylene capacitor 027-420 1 $2.20
                  L5 4.7mH Erse Steel laminate inductor, 0.231 dcr 266-924 1 $14.76
                  C4 100uF Dayton Polypropylene capacitor 027-447 1 $19.51
                  L6 0.55mH Jantzen 15 gauge inductor, 0.22 dcr 255-410 1 $4.71

Total $90.24
                  - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                  CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                  CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2001

Why should I have bought an unshielded tweeter?
                    Because the design uses the unshielded version. The shielded version of the tweeter would require a crossover modification. Most of the designs here came about before the shielded version was available.

Comment

• jebcamaro
                      • May 2007

Would the unshielded version cause any magnetic interferences with TV`s?

I looked up that parts list you have listed at parts express before from the spreadsheet and some of the parts weren`t avaible there. I was hoping to find all the parts in one place to save on shipping costs.

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                        • May 2006

...I looked up that parts list you have listed at parts express before from the spreadsheet and some of the parts weren`t avaible there. I was hoping to find all the parts in one place to save on shipping costs.
                        You're killing us with these kinds of posts. There are a lot of people here who can and want to help you (and are helping, even), but this kind of post is not helpful.

"...and some of the parts weren't available there."

Which parts? Half of them? More than one? It turns out not to be more than one, actually. I would think "some" would mean >1. Maybe that is just me, though.

Regardless, I am very bored this Sunday, so I went through copying and pasting all the listed part numbers in that spreadsheet from the .zip file into Parts Express under "Keyword or Part #" search. There was precisely one part that was not found. It could not be found because (I know this from experience 8) ) even numbered resistors leave of the ".0" in the part numbers. Maybe they did not in the past, but they certainly have for a good bit now.

All of the parts listed in the spreadsheet in the .zip file liked to by "---k---", above, are available at PE. You need to change the 2ohm resistor's part number from "004-2.0" to "004-2"... You will find it then. If you had made it more clear that only the 2ohm resistor was not showing up, I could have corrected that for you, by memory. Instead I spent my time searching for every part in the BOM. Not a big deal, sure... but also not at all necessary either, right? :B

Additionally, don't be surprised when it does not subtotal to ~$90. :E Anything with a lot of copper (read: inductors) has gone way up in price. The air cores are all about double. The laminate core is up a bit less, but still a lot.

More information/attention to detail would be welcome in such a complicated venture as this. It's not a really big deal, but good attention to detail will help you in this DIY HT speaker project, just in general. :T
                        Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
                        -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                          • May 2006

Would the unshielded version cause any magnetic interferences with TV`s?

Only with a CRT based televisions. I doubt you are building a WTMW, A pair of TMWW, and two pairs of Modula MT for an HT built around a CRT tv. Correct me if I'm wrong.

LCD, the varoius rear-projection types, and Plama are not bothered by unshielded drivers.
                          Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
                          -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• jebcamaro
                            • May 2007

Thanks a million Jonathan. Your right, you didn`t have to go through all that trouble to look up those parts individually. I did it once before and was about to lose my mind in doing it because it was so monotonous. Not many people would have gone through all that trouble for a stranger, for sure. So I definately appreciate that. It was more than one part that was coming up not available. I didn`t keep track of all the parts listed because I thought maybe that the list I was going from was outdated. That`s why I wanted to make sure I got an uptodate list before I spent the money because your right, these parts aren`t exactly cheap with the total bill. The XO is about a 1/3 of the cost on each cabinet it seems. And yes, I am not building all these speakers for the regular run of the mill CRT set. I am running a projector, but want to add an LCD or DLP tv at some stage. I apologize for my general questions. You have to forgive me though. I am a total newbie to all this. It`s a lot of information to try to sink in. I don`t have quite as much time to devote to all of this stuff as I`d like to have. I am quite busy with other things going on as well. Thanks a buch for all your kind help guys. I look forward to building many more speakers and learning a lot more about all this stuff. I can`t wait to finally have something finished and be able to enjoy. I`m sure all this will be light years above the current setup I have now. I rarely even turn it on because it just doesn`t please my ears at all.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by jonathanb3478

More information/attention to detail would be welcome in such a complicated venture as this. It's not a really big deal, but good attention to detail will help you in this DIY HT speaker project, just in general. :T
                              Thanks for your patience and constructive response.

In general, PE's search engine is not very good (I shouldn't throw stones, the one the company I work for has on their web site is terrible), but the "best" way to check for parts availability at PE is to go to the manufacturer area and sub category lists and checking for the parts "by eye". (careful, PE screws this up too, as going to Erse will only list the iron core inductors- the perfect layer inductors from Erse have to be found by going into the general "air core" category.
                              the AudioWorx
                              Natalie P
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                              Obi-Wan
                              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cjd
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Jed
                                There are two variations of the center chanel. One done by Curt C. and one by Dennis M.
                                There are actually four variations on the center channel...
                                diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Jed
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by cjd
                                  There are actually four variations on the center channel...
                                  Wish this info was in the first post with BOMs. Perhaps a little updating is in order to lessen the confusion.

Comment

• ahaik
                                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jonathanb3478
                                    Only with a CRT based televisions. I doubt you are building a WTMW, A pair of TMWW, and two pairs of Modula MT for an HT built around a CRT tv. Correct me if I'm wrong.

LCD, the varoius rear-projection types, and Plama are not bothered by unshielded drivers.
                                    My setup is built around a CRT TV 8O (for now). I have that center channel and have no problems with the unshilded tweeter (center is obove the TV and very close to it).

Comment

• jebcamaro
                                      • May 2007

Well, I finally got an order list for the XO based on one of the post and got it all figured out. Boy, I hope I gain some intelligence for when I get going on the rest of the speakers. Thanks guys

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"