X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rob17
    • Jul 2007

Sub Advice

I am sort of new to all of this. I have been lurking around here for the last couple of months and have two nat-p boxes built and veneered with red oak. I have access to a nice shop and I am pretty good at woodworking. I was waiting to get my nat-p's completed to worry about the sub, But I saw that the tc-sounds subs were going up in price. So I will get the sub and then put together a nice box within the next month. I was originally planning on going with a tc-2000 12", is this still a good bet? I don't know weather to go with dual or single voice coil or even to go 15". I am planning to build a sealed enclosure and going to power it with a carvin amp. What are your guy's opinions?

Thanks,
    -Rob
  • WillyD
    • Feb 2006

Go ahead and get the 15". Marginal price increase for significant performance increase.

Comment

• Adam321
      • Jun 2007

I would definitly go and buy the 15" tc-2000. The difference in price is worth the extra headroom and is more efficient. Go with the 12" only if you have room for a tiny box. Also if you are only planning on one sub, and will probably not add another one later, then you want to get the SVC, as long as the Carvin can be bridged into 4 ohms. This will give you more power to the single sub. If you plan on getting another one down the road then you should get the DVC, so you will be able to run the two subs in parallel and get the most out of the amp.

It seems most people who do sealed, get two. I bought one SVC 15", but I built a LLT sonotube, which gives me more output using a single, but you have to have the room.

Comment

• rob17
        • Jul 2007

Alright I picked up the 15" svc one. Not a bad price for such a driver. What is the recommended wall thickness of the enclosure?

Comment

• PoorboyMike
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by rob17
          Alright I picked up the 15" svc one. Not a bad price for such a driver. What is the recommended wall thickness of the enclosure?
          With good bracing, 3/4" is usually sufficient for the top and sides. Double up on the thickness for the baffle.

If you want a really sturdy box, some guys use double (1 1/2") for the top and sides along with 3/4 bracing, and triple (2 1/4") for the baffle. You might need a fork truck to move it though. 8O

Comment

• wildfire99
            • Aug 2005

Real men pour concrete for their boxes.
            - Patrick
            "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• rob17
              • Jul 2007

I am thinking of using two layers of 3/4 mdf for the box and either veneer or another layer of 3/4 plywood. Maybe oak or maple also possibly birch. My nat-p's are in red oak veneer and then I will make a nice thick baffle. What kind of connector should I use?

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"