X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nosaj070
    • Jul 2007

TriTrix Questions

Hey Guys,

I'm about to undertake my first DIY Speakerbuild (besides about a billion subs). I looked all around the net and found a ton of options to build, and I think that the TriTrix might suit my situation pretty well. First off I do not have a problem spending more money, I'm simply concerned as to whether it is worth it or not. These speakers would be used for about a 50/50 split of Music and just general TV watching/movies. I currently have Paradigm Titans as mains and whatever their lowest model center channel is (I'm at work and don't have the model number in front of me) along with a dayton titanic mkII diy sub. This setup sounds good, but I would like something better, and I'll have a couple weeks before I go back to school to build something. I have plenty of woodworking experience between my car audio habits and my subwoofer construction for about everyone I know, and I can solder so I don't think the x-over would be a big issue for me. I guess to sum up I think I'm capable of building a nice speaker, but I am trying to justify the price.

So I guess before I ask anymore questions if anyone has experience with these speakers speak up and let me know your honest opinon, especially would they really be an improvement upon the titans (Or I guess the Esprit or older Monitor 7's, as I have access to them)

Now onto the question I actually meant to ask, if I do build the TriTrix's I might as well build a center as well so would it be possible to built the TL mains and a vented center without causing any matching issues?

Also I think this would cause issues, but for asthetic issues would it be possible to overlap the mids and the tweet (Rout into the tweeter mount a bit for the mids) or even center the tweets. This is a minor issue, but I figured I'd get two birds with..you know what I'm getting at :roll:

So anyway, I'd really appreciate any input you guys have got and I promise i'll put a nice detailed build thread up when I start these in two weeks.
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

So, I can't really answer the comparison question fairly. If you can double your budget you're in range of the RS150 based MTM I did (same box size as the Triune which I think may be the same as the Tri-Trix) and I know that has no problems outshining the Titans. :P

I can say, re-arranging the drivers can get you into trouble. Offset in particular - driver spacing as you've described might be OK but it's a tricky process to do - the dome doesn't really come loose from the face-plate IIRC. If you're talking center channel, centering the tweeter would be a not-so-good idea for other reasons. But decreasing center-to-center would be a beneficial thing.

Curt's Triune is going to be a great vocal match to the Tri-Trix, so that would be the obvious CC recommendation. Or a non-TL Tri-Trix - I believe he has box published for that too. Check out his site - I think he has a few variants.

FWIW, sometimes it doesn't matter if they're quite a bit better or simply different than what you have, if you've built them. Pride in craftsmanship and all that.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• wildfire99
      • Aug 2005

If I may thread jack a bit, does anyone know what the differences are between the TriTrix and the Triune? Is the TriTrix just the new version of the Triune, or are the designs aimed at different needs?
      - Patrick
      "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• Brian Bunge
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2001

IIRC, the Triune is a 4 ohm design whereas the TriTrix is an 8 ohm design.

Comment

• nosaj070
          • Jul 2007

Thanks for the response. I have been looking at the RS TMWW and I would love to make them as I could justify the money knowing I could be happy with them for a while. My issue lies in powering them. From what I've read they really show poor or even marginal recordings and at least for next year (My final year in school) they would be seeing mostly lower bitrate mp3's through an apple tv (some disturbingly low as my roomates don't really care too much). Aside from the source, all I've got right now is a Panny xr-25 receiver and from the sound of it, probably will not cut it.

So basically I am hesitant to really drop the money on these and not be very happy with them due to a low-class amplifier and poor source. Next summer however will be a different story

Now after staying up the majority of the night pricing and designing boxes for the RS's, I am leaning once again towards the TriTrix. Any reviews I've read on them are mostly from just your average guy that built them and rants and raves about them. Not that I don't believe that they are happy, I would just like to hear a more educated ear's opinion on these guys. Its really tempting to build LCR for about 300 bucks...

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

If you're looking for a great project on a budget that'll sound good, and forget about comparisons to this or that commercial product, I really have no hesitation recommending any of Curt's work - including the Triune/TriTrix.

As I mentioned, for a little more budget you can step into the RS150 in the same form factor as the Triune/TriTrix (If you build one of the Seas tweeter variants, price runs maybe ~$150 each - specific cap brand choices, etc. making that variable). The originals squeaked under $125 in parts, each. I consider them budget speaks still, but an introduction to the possibilities of relatively high-end components. Maybe you'll cue your roomies into sound quality. :P And the drivers from these can probably find their way into a more formal front trio (or even stay as they are and get used for rear/surround duty!) in the future. I'll be doing a Seas variant of the WMTMW (RS225/RS150) Ryan has me working on, and there's already the TMWW/WTMW stuff.

C

Comment

• Jim Holtz
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Here is a a link to the 2006 Iowa DIY event.

Both the M/T and MTM versions of the Tri Trix were there and they sounded darn good. Way better than they had any right too considering the cost.

Chris made some excellent suggestions too. The Modula M/T's are a can't go wrong speaker that always sounds great. Scott (Mudjock) posted his M/T design that I've also heard and can verify that it is a great sounding speaker.

There really are many darn good sounding budget design speakers available.

Good luck!

Jim

Comment

• nosaj070
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by cjd
                If you're looking for a great project on a budget that'll sound good, and forget about comparisons to this or that commercial product, I really have no hesitation recommending any of Curt's work - including the Triune/TriTrix.

As I mentioned, for a little more budget you can step into the RS150 in the same form factor as the Triune/TriTrix (If you build one of the Seas tweeter variants, price runs maybe ~$150 each - specific cap brand choices, etc. making that variable). The originals squeaked under $125 in parts, each. I consider them budget speaks still, but an introduction to the possibilities of relatively high-end components. Maybe you'll cue your roomies into sound quality. :P And the drivers from these can probably find their way into a more formal front trio (or even stay as they are and get used for rear/surround duty!) in the future. I'll be doing a Seas variant of the WMTMW (RS225/RS150) Ryan has me working on, and there's already the TMWW/WTMW stuff.

C
                Once again thanks for the response, I really do appreciate it.

Ok, I think you've convinced me (Its pretty easy :roll: ) to do the RS150. I looked around the forum, and couldn't find a thread but I stumbled across your website. Which tweeter do you recommend and which x-over? Also do you or anyone else have pics of completed builds of towers or possibly more detailed plans?

And finally, checking out the impedence on them, it seems to dip pretty low at some points. Supposedly the panny's are 6-ohm stable, so should it be able to handle a load around where these speakers are nominal?

Comment

• cjd
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Dec 2004

My personal recommendation would be to start with the Seas Generic. Pick your tweeter of choice, 27TDFC or 27TBFC/G. I think it may still hit that magic "under $250" price-point required for the DIY budget category it did well in.

There's a thread in the Missions Accomplished section.

outfitter is re-building his (he went RS28A) to the slot-port tower design, though that may not really help you. I don't like doing fancy CAD designs, as I do a lot of "this is here, and 3 + 11 plus a half and a nudge" measurements when I'm building... If I have too fixed a plan, I invariably screw up and have to toss stuff out. So I take an adaptive approach.

One other option: you could build these boxes with a removable baffle. Start with the Triune or Tri-Trix. Upgrade as desired.

In my experience, your Panasonic should be fine - it's likely the speakers will run out of excursion before your amp finds the load unfriendly.

If you're really worried about impedance, you could try the series variant posted in the thread here. It still gets low-ish but should be a very benign load.

C

Comment

• nosaj070
                    • Jul 2007

Sorry I realize that these questions should probably be posted in the build thread, but are you saying that I could use the TL enclosure for the TriTrix with the RS's? Would I be the guinea pig on that one?

Comment

• cjd
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Dec 2004

In theory, yes. It's been a long time since I've run the numbers through.

The way I tune bandpass enclosures probably will result in very little difference in sound though.

C

Comment

• ---k---
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2005

Just FYI, we ran CJD and I listened to his MTMs on my Pioneer 1015tx, I don't believe there were any problems. C? It also is rated for 6ohm speakers, but you're supposed to like hold the power button for 10 seconds to switch the mode from 8ohm mode to 6ohm. I didn't do that, and they still were fine. But, I'm sure they would be improved in those areas where impedance drops by a good amp.
                        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Satansfx
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by nosaj070
                          Once again thanks for the response, I really do appreciate it.
                          Also do you or anyone else have pics of completed builds of towers or possibly more detailed plans?
                          ?

hope this helps you out some

Comment

• nosaj070
                            • Jul 2007

Thanks for all the recomendations guys, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I think I've finally come up with a plan. My final day of my internship is August 3rd, I'm hanging around Chicago for Lollapalooza (Who wouldn't?) Until that Monday before heading home to Cleveland where I can build these guys. So I only have rought ten days before going back to school to do the following...

Build a new ported enclosure for my 10" Dayton Titanic MKII
                            Build a ported enclosure for my old ED 8a
                            *Most likely build some TriTrix MT's.

Since I've got to pick up an amp for the 8a and everything its still going to cost a decent amount of money to get it all done, and considering I'm taking this stuff to college, I'd rather not have too much invested in it for peace of mind. From what I've heard the TriTrix MT's sounds great, especially for the money. Then either over winter break, or next summer I can round out the system with the TriTrix TL's and a Ported for a center channel, then bump the MT's to rears. In my house at school the MT's and the ED 8a are going towards the back porch for the back yard, while the Titanic and my current Paradigm system will hold down fort in the living room.

I am very excited to finally put together my first crossover, and even more excited that it is simple so I don't mess it up I will definetly create a thread documenting all the builds as I'm planning on being relatively creative with the sub enclosures, but we'll see how time contraints affect my creativity. Thanks again guys, have a good one.

Comment

• cjd
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Dec 2004

Wait... you're in Chicago? (i.e. essentially local to me)

Cleveland. Ahh... went to school there, met my wife there. It has some redeeming qualities, therefore.

Your plan sounds well considered. Get to it!

C

Comment

• ---k---
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Nov 2005

Maybe we should get on both of your cases for not having a generic location in thier profiles.
                                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• nosaj070
                                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by cjd
                                  Wait... you're in Chicago? (i.e. essentially local to me)

Cleveland. Ahh... went to school there, met my wife there. It has some redeeming qualities, therefore.

Your plan sounds well considered. Get to it!

C
                                  Hah, yep I'm out here in Lincoln park for the summer. Where'd you go to school? Case?

And as far as redeeming qualities, I think you covered them haha (Well I gues the tribe is playing well)

Comment

• cjd
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Dec 2004

I work downtown but live up north. Great America being how you know Gurnee, if you know it at all.

I took a couple classes at Case, but they really didn't like it (sadly, preconceptions about intelligence, and they made it impossible for me to attend the necessary labs by scheduling them during my regular class times/studios). I went to the Cleveland Institute of Art. Managed a store (primary location I worked out of was up on Coventry), lived in Cleveland Hts or Shaker Hts.

C

Comment

• nosaj070
                                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by cjd
                                      I work downtown but live up north. Great America being how you know Gurnee, if you know it at all.

I took a couple classes at Case, but they really didn't like it (sadly, preconceptions about intelligence, and they made it impossible for me to attend the necessary labs by scheduling them during my regular class times/studios). I went to the Cleveland Institute of Art. Managed a store (primary location I worked out of was up on Coventry), lived in Cleveland Hts or Shaker Hts.

C
                                      Yeah, I've heard that about Case quite a bit. I'm from a town right inbetween Cleveland and Akron called Hudson. I go to school at Miami University down in southern Ohio. Anyway, I made some impulse buy/decisions today while doing nothing at work...

Nixed the ED 8A sub plan, I just figure it will be relatively unnecessary, not to mention expensive to get a new amp, plus building another sub enclosure means a lot more wood.

Designed my sub enclosure. 1.3 Cubes, tuned to 28 Hz (Slot ported, crossing my fingers it'l have enough port area so it doesn't sound like a train is driving through my living room) for my Dayton Titanic MKII, which models out pretty nicely.

AAAAnd, I just ordered all the parts for a set of Modula MT's

I was all set on just picking up the TriTrix parts, but figured what the heck, the Modulas are only a bit more expensive, the drivers look a lot nicer, and I havn't heard anything but praise for them.

So here I am, 300 some dollars poorer, but hopefully much happier once I get these puppies built. Have a good one guys.

-Jason

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"