X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Adam321
    • Jun 2007

Measuring subwoofer to determine if I need a BFD

Ok, I finally finished my sonosub. This is the thread: https://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26418 I will post pics to that thread when I get a chance.

I tuned my sub to ~16hz. I would like to take measurements to determine if I need a BFD. My concern is feeding it a sweep from a program like Room EQ Wizard. If the sweep starts below my tuning frequency isn't there a chance this could damage the driver? I am driving it with EP2500.

Also, my pre/pro is a Lexicon dc-1 v4. I had to crank the sub output level to +7. It was -5 with my old Velo sub. However, the test tone is now a lot lower in frequency response than it seemed with the old sub. So, I may have a calibration problem due to the response of my old RS SPL meter. I was wondering if the BFD would help with level matching, as well. I dont want the art cleanbox because of the frequency response issues that have been discovered.

Thanks.
    Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 01:51 Thursday. Reason: Update htguide url
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The trick running sweeps is to use a low output (SPL). In addition the sweep occurs so quickly there's little chance the driver would be damaged unless the output level is set to "11"....

No the BFD won't work as a line level shifter.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

Also, I don't believe that there any problem with having the prepro at +7, regardless of what you read around the net. It is a very low level signal. So, if +7 works for you, leave it and move on.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"